cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Copying the data from global rule set to custom rule set

0 Kudos

Hello,

My client wants me to create Custom Rule set and copy the data from Global Rule set so that we don't do any alteration to Global Rule set (It needs to remain untouched). i have already created Custom Rule set but not able to copy the data from Global Rule set.

1:  How do i copy the data?

2:  Do i need perform it in DEV and move it using transports?

Can anyone help?

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

alessandr0
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Dear Mohammed,

you can use the program GRAC_DOWNLOAD_RULES (via SE38) to download and GRAC_UPLOAD_RULES to upload. In the downloaded files you can extend the rule set and update the relationship.

Best would be to provide "Risk rule set relationship" and extend "append" the current rule set (which you have already created).

Let me know if you need further details.

Regards,

Alessandro

alessandr0
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Please also refer to this document:

Regards,

Alessandro

0 Kudos

Is it possible for you share the screenshot of the process so that it will be helpful for everyone as it is a very critical task

alessandr0
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Mohammed,

the document mentioned above has several screenshots.

The process I would follow:

- Create new (copy) rule set in GRC

- Download the rule sets (program mentioned above and shown in the document)

- Update the "Risk Rule Relationship" file (e.g. copy all risks and update the related rule set to your newly created)

- Upload the rule sets

In GRC now you have two similar rule sets which hold the same information. If you want to copy also functions and access risks you have to define a new naming for these.

Please try and let us know.

Regards,

Alessandro

former_member185447
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Alessandro,

I am facing a confusion here. I downloaded all the 9 files using the GRAC_DOWNLOAD_RULES Program.

Now my understanding is: I need to modify the file ruleset.txt and replace all the GLOBAL with Custom Ruleset name.

But going through the threads in forum, I am under the impression that along with this, I need to change information in Risk to Ruleset Relation file also.

After this, I need to use the program GRAC_UPLOAD_RULES and upload the 9 files with the option APPEND

Is that correct?

Regards,

Deepak M

alessandr0
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Deepak,

depends what you are doing. If you simply want to copy the ruleset to a second one where all the functions and access risks are similar (also same naming) than you can just create a second rule set in NWBC and copy one of the files. Let me explain.

Goto NWBC > Rule Set > Access Rule Maintenance > Rule Set and create a new rule set:

In my case I have create SUN_TEST whereas SUN_GLOB is my official rule set I am going to copy.

Now I download the rule set with the program to XLS file as it is easily manageble:

I've copied the 09* file so that I have the inital (as backup) and the new I am going to modify.

Copy all lines (double it) and replace the old with the new rule set name so that you have each access risk assigned to both rule sets:

Save the file and go to the upload program.

Use the modified file for risk rule set relationship and upload with "Overwrite".

In NWBC you can now see the new rule set with all the assignments. Open an access risk and check:

Now just simply generate the SOD rules (SPRO > GRC > AC > Access Risk Analysis > SOD Rules > Genereate rules).

Hope this makes it clear now.

Regards,

Alessandro

former_member185447
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Well, can't ask for more ....one of the best explanation for the ruleset....all my confusions are gone....thanks for your time and patience Alessandro (God of GRC).....

Regards,

Deepak M

alessandr0
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

great 🙂 just let us know if you need more... if answered, please close the thread (mark correct/helpful answers) so others see it's answered.

Cheers,

Alessandro

Answers (0)