cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Closing of accounting periods in SAP

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Experts

I would want to apologize if it's not the right place to ask my question.

I am in a company where we use SAP  in production only since June 2014.

Since we are I would want to know if it's allowed  to close October month and only keep November  or  we are obliged to not close October  while we are in November month.  I ask this question because some persons who work on SAP told me that we need to keep the current month and the preceding month, which is October in my case.

I would want you to give me light on my question.

Thanks you Experts.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

former_member188063
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

though you can keep the previous period open in the system there's a caveat.

Leaving the previous period will let the user post to it.

Since the month end activities are done by then I don't advise/suggest to leave it open.

Hope it helps.

Regards,

Sudhakar*

cgilberg
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hello Jean-Pierre,

as Lakshmi already suggests, there is no technical requirement that keeps a previous period open. Quite contrary, you are very flexible in opening and closing periods, even for specific account ranges or a limited access for selected employees.

Best Regards,

Christoph

former_member183378
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Lefort,

There is no best practice to this. This OB52 functionality allows the users to open or close the posting periods accordingly. According to our organization requirement, if there is no transaction found then we can close the posting period else we can keep it open until the adjustment related month end closing activities got posted. After closing of posting period also, if require we can open posting period to pass the adjustment entries after getting the authorization from the accounts dept.

I hope it clears!

Thanks & Regards,

Lakshmi S

former_member198650
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

Period closing is one of the month end activity in FI. So you have to close the previous period. For more details about month end activity in FI. Please search in forum and you could get lot of information.

Regards,

Mukthar