cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Send external mail using send mail

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Experts in WF,

I am doing WF FIPP to parked document in FI with two levels.

I received de error: Work item 000000003786: Object 000000003786 method SENDTASKDESCRIPTION cannot be executed.

I am trying to send an extenal mail to initiator using de send mail task and not notify.

If I understood correctly is necessary to inform the addrees mail (abcd@hotmail.com)  into container field name addressstring.

In my SAP, it variable is empty.  My question is: The addressstring variable is filled automaticaly or it must by manualy ?

I did the customizing below in SWDD to Send Mail:

Aba: Mail

1 - Recipipent type: Mail Address

2 - E-Mail Address: &ADDRESSSTRINGS&

Aba: Control

1 - Task: TS90000011 - container: addressstring(input/output) was set. ABAP Dict Reference: SOXNA-FULLNANE and Triggering events: BOR FIPP CREATED.

Could you help me to guide me show me where is the error ? The field addressstring is empty.   When a make the test in SWDD is OK. The Mail is triggered and go to the SOST. It is OK.

Thansk in advance

Valter

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member185167
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Valter,

Did you mean to set this question as "Assumed Answered"?

In your SendMail step you have to have a binding which will fill ADDRESSSTRINGS. If not, the send mail step will fail because it doesn't know who to send the mail to.

It is possible to hardcode an address into the step for testing purposes but in a working workflow this is not useful. You would fetch an address and then pass it to the step via binding.

What is usually done is to find a SAP user and pass that to the SendMail step. You then leave it to SAP to figure out the email address. For this you do need to do one-time settings in SO16.

Maybe you could include some screenshots so we can see what you have tried and what the errors are.

regards

Rick Bakker

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Rick,

I'm sorry for my mistake about the "Assumed Answered".

Rick: What is usually done is to find a SAP user and pass that to the SendMail step. You then leave it to SAP to figure out the email address. For this you do need to do one-time settings in SO16.

Valter: Ok, my intention is to leave SAP assign automaticaly the Email from SU01. Is it possible ?

See the screenshot about SO16: and SU01.

In the container at the SEND MAIL task the ADDRESSSTRING field is empty. 

The User master data SU01, see the Email next screenshot:

Tks for while,

Valter Miranda

former_member185167
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello,

Sorry I meant include screenshots of what you've tried in Workflow.

A search of SCN for Workflow and SO16 reveals this answer of how to set SO16:

To get SAP to forward mails from the SAP inbox to external emails you have to:

1) add the email address in SU01

2) set "Comm. Method" to "E-mail" in SU01

3) in SO16, tab Mail sy.grp, radio button "Send to Home Addresses of Users"

4) in SO16, tab Addressing, Reset buffer

This will allow SAP to find the email associated with a user (or a group of users, e.g. in a Position).

But, of course, you still have to tell the SendMail step which user you want to send the mail to!

Are you doing that? Screenshots, please.

regards

Rick Bakker

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Rick,

See below the screenshot about SWDD and FBV3 with the log message.

My doubt is: SAP WF will assign automaticaly the addressstring with the User(initiator) Email from SU01 or I have to do anything (ABAP code) to do this ?

Regards,

Valter Miranda

former_member185167
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Ola,

I don't know how to change Assumed Answered. Do you see an option?

Thanks for the screenshots but I still don't see how ADDRESSSTRINGS gets set.

In any case, if you are going the SO16 route then you should specify the Recipient Type as something other than an email address (is there a User option? Or container element?).

Then as recipient you specify a different container element (not ADDRESSSTRINGS) with whatever user you want. Try it first with WF_INITIATOR.

regards

Rick

Former Member
0 Kudos

Oi Rick,

I am a beginer with WF and for me is not clear  regarding the get set the  addressstring field and if it is necessary.

I read yours comment about SO16 and configurated it but the addressstring still is filled with blank.

Is addressstring  filled automaticaly or I have to make a ABAP code or SO16 to do this ?

So far I dont have done anything with the addressstring field.

Please, what have I doing  wrong?  I think that I have skipping any step.

Regards,

Valter Miranda

former_member185167
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Oi Valter,

Tudo bem?

You should do some SAP Workflow training if you are going to be supporting workflow, it will make your life much easier! At the very least you should buy The Book (3rd Edition out now!):

http://www.workflowbook.com

The SendMail step, as the name suggests, sends emails. Of course, you have to say WHO you want the email sent to. This is done in the "Mail" tab of the SendMail step. There you have: Recipient type

This can be: "Organizational object" (user, position, org unit etc), "E-mail address" or "Workflow Initiator".

If you choose "Organizational object" then the field below "Recipient type" allows you to choose from:

Organizational unit

Job

Position

Work Center

User

Expression

Workflow initiator (expression)

You should choose "Workflow initiator". This will the immediately change to "Expression" and in the adjoining field you will see the following appear:  "&_WF_INITIATOR&"

If you then switch to the "Control" tab and then to the Binding button, you will see:

G                             ->        &TYPEID&

&_WF_INITIATOR&  ->        &ADDRESSSTRINGS&

So, you should not be assigning a value to ADDRESSSTRINGS yourself, the binding does it for you.

Try it first with WF Initiator (as above) and see if it works.

Then, if you want a different user, create a container element which is the same type as _WF_INITIATOR. Assign it a value and use it in the "Mail" tab.

regards

Rick Bakker

Former Member
0 Kudos

Olá Rick.

Tudo bem,  Obrigado pela paciência.

Thanks for your information and patienci.

Ok. I will try to make as you told me.

I will return you soon.

Regards,

Valter Miranda

Former Member
0 Kudos

Oi Rick,

I did as you told me but i had no sucess.

When I make the test using SWUS the WF sent Mail to SOST. It was OK.

The problem is when I execute the WF inner process FV60.

Please, see the screenshot attached.

See the error:

former_member185167
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Seu Valter,

That's progress, at least it works in one case.

The case where you get an error, what value does WF Initiator have? Does that user have an email address? Try sending them a mail from SBWP.

regards

Rick

Former Member
0 Kudos

Rick,

what value does WF Initiator have?

--> I saw the cointainer and It does not exist there.  Must It  be there ?

Yes, through SBWP the mail was sent to SOST.

Wthat´s wrong. 

Valter Miranda

former_member185167
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Valter,

If WF Initiator has no value then of course, no mail will be able to be sent to the WF Initiator.

If the workflow is started by an event then make sure the event creator has a binding to the WF Initiator.

How is the workflow started?

regards

Rick

Answers (0)