Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SAP JVM switch SAPINST GUI not launching

former_member196664
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi All,

I have performed SAP JVM switch in all portal servers. One of the server is giving issue. I is not launching sapinst GUI screen. There was 2 JDK versions installed j2sdk1.4.2_13 and j2sdk1.4.2_29. I keep tried changing j2sdk1.4.2_29 in some properties file besides java home is pointing to j2sdk1.4.2_29. I also changed SAPINST_JRE_HOME property in environment variables with  j2sdk1.4.2_29 to be in sync. Now below log is showing  j2sdk1.4.2_29 but it is still not launching sapinst gui. Please help. System: Portal 7.0.

Program starter log:

Program is starting... Please wait!

SAPinst build information:
--------------------------
Version:       2014.09.0
Build:         1521363
Compile time:  Okt 05 2014 - 16:33:50
Make type:     optU
Codeline:      720-2_REL
Platform:      NTAMD64
Kernel build:  721, patch 319, changelist 1516453
Exe directory: C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\1\sapinst_exe.6052.1416864069

guiengine: 2014-11-24 16:21:19 Waiting for client connection (1)
SDT start mode [Java: C:\j2sdk1.4.2_29-x64\bin||Home: C:\Documents and Settings\epdadm||Cd: E:\Workarea\SAP_JVM] => /default/

Starting GUIServer using:
  SAPinst port         : pipe:480:456
  GUIServer port       : 21212
  GUI autostart        : on
  GUI mode             : normal
  Curdir               : E:\Workarea\SAP_JVM
  command       : C:\j2sdk1.4.2_29-x64\bin\java.exe -cp "C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\1\sapinst_exe.6052.1416864069\jar\instgui.jar" -Xmx256M -Dsun.java2d.noddraw=true -Dsap.env.var.javahome=SAPINST_JRE_HOME SDTServer "rootdir=C:\Documents and Settings\epdadm\.sdtgui" config=jar:sdtserver.xml guiport=21212 -nolock -srvarg=/SAPinstService/host=127.0.0.1 -srvarg=/SAPinstService/port=pipe:480:456

CurrentDirectory: E:\Workarea\SAP_JVM.

Thanks,

Kavitha Rajan.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Matt_Fraser
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Also remove the SAPINST_JRE_HOME environment variable, as well as JAVA_HOME. It looks like you are trying to use obsolete documentation with current tools, and this is getting you into trouble. The current SAPINST tools (SWPM, SUM, etc) all have their own self-contained JRE.

former_member196664
Participant
0 Kudos

Thank you Srinivasan and Matt,

I removed SAPINST_JRE_HOME yesterday and it worked. JAVA_HOME automatically changed during the switch to SAP JVM.

These are old configurations done by previous Basis at my company. Only this server has this entry.

Thanks again both of you. Unfortunately I can put only one correct answer. 🙂

Kavitha Rajan.

former_member196664
Participant
0 Kudos

Srinivas/Matt,

Arjun has advised in below thread to edit SYSTEM environment variables to SAP JVM like SIDADM Env variables which is changing automatically by the tool. I was following that. Should I completely remove Java_Home from SYSTEM Env variables?

http://scn.sap.com/thread/2119162

Matt_Fraser
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

It's not needed as a system environment variable, only for the sidadm user. However, if it exists for the system and not just the user, then I would either remove it or make sure it matches the sidadm entry that the switch tool set.

former_member196664
Participant
0 Kudos

Thank you Matt. I matched both SYSTEM JAVA_HOME to SIDADM JAVA_HOME, all pointing to SAP JVM.

Thanks,

Kavitha Rajan.

Reagan
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

The solution provided in that thread is not really correct. If you have a J2EE stack then the parameter jstartup/vm/home in the profile is taken into account. You can also check the config tool whether the Java Home is pointing to the SAP JVM location after the switch.

I have systems with <SID>adm users still pointing to IBM Java and the J2EE stacks running with SAP JVM. After switch to the SAP JVM you can check the "Java environment properties" in the dev_server0 trace file to see which JVM is used by the J2EE stack.

hemanth2
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

very true Reagan.

Kavitha, you just need to make sure that the instance profile has the right details.

SAPJVM_VERSION. Enter the new version of the SAP JVM e.g.:

SAPJVM_VERSION = 4.1.028

and

jstartup/vm/home = <location of the new jdk>

for example:

jstartup/vm/home = /usr/sap/<SID>/SYS/exe/jvm/hpia64/

sapjvm_6.1.028

After the change, delete following files (they will be recreated after the j2ee restart):

/usr/sap/<SID>/<INSTANCE>/j2ee/cluster/instance.properties.vmprop

/usr/sap/<SID>/<INSTANCE>/SDM/program/config/sdm_jstartup.properties.vmprop

Now do a complete cluster restart.

Regards,
Hemanth

former_member196664
Participant
0 Kudos

Reagan/Hemanth,

SAP Instance profile is showing the switch.

jstartup/vm/home = $(DIR_SAPJVM)

DIR_SAPJVM = $(DIR_EXECUTABLE)$(DIR_SEP)sapjvm_4

SAPJVM_VERSION = 4.1.047

JAVA_HOME is pointing E:\usr\sap\EPD\SYS\exe\jvm\NTAMD64\sapjvm_4.1.047\sapjvm_4

for SIDADM and SYSTEM (I changed for SYSTEM).

I verified by launching the portal and check the version as per the last step of http://scn.sap.com/docs/DOC-33488

Am I all set? Do I have to delete those files?

Thanks,

Kavitha Rajan.

hemanth2
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Great.
Yes, just delete the .vmprop files (if they exist); they will be recreated with the next restart.

Regards,
Hemanth

hemanth2
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

You actually don't have to "Adapt the Instance Profiles" which the link mentions; this is done automatically in the "adjust instance" step by the switch tool.

But better to just recheck it .

former_member196664
Participant
0 Kudos

Thank you ALL for the help.

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

srinivasan_vinayagam
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Kavitha,

Why you setting JAVA_HOME?

Is it SAP JVM Switch tool asks?

Do not  need to set or install jdk in windows server.

SAP JVM Switch Tool itself having Java it will takes itself.

Remove JAVA_HOME from environment variables and try sapinst.

Regards,

V Srinivasan