cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Difference between BW on HANA, Native HANA and HANA Enterprise..?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Experts,

I am learning SAP HANA modeling.

I am not able understand why there are three terminologies i.e., BW on HANA, NAtive HANA and HANA enterprise..

Could you please tell me the "Difference between BW on HANA, Native HANA and HANA Enterprise..?"""

I searched in sdn but not getting required info.

Please share the links if you have.

Thanks

Asha

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

0 Kudos

Hi Asha,

Native HANA means it is something build on top of the HANA BOX and it can have the full HANA performance and benifits and there is another term called non-native HANA applications which means the developments done using other technologies can also run on top of HANA, like .net, java applications.

The term HANA enterprise : - i feel that it is related to the release like HANA platform edition, enterprise edition and enterprise extended edition.

Regards,

Rahul

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member

Hi Asha,

In simple terms

Native HANA :  Here we do the data modeling by using HANA studio.  In this case HANA will be used as database and ETL as well.

BW on HANA:  Here the modeling will be done in BW and HANA will be used as database. That means BW will act as ETL.

Please go through the below link for more details about HANA Enterprise Information Management .

http://help.sap.com/hana/SAP_HANA_Master_Guide_en.pdf

Regards,

Mahendra

former_member184458
Active Participant

Asha,

BW is a SAP Business Application, which can run on many traditional relational databases and on the SAP HANA database, BW on HANA is the BW application running on the HANA database, for details please see http://scn.sap.com/community/bw-hana/faq

Native HANA means in general that the code has been developed on HANA and specifically for HANA. For example BW has coding which can run on all databases which are certified for BW, and new code developed specifically for HANA = HANA native.  Or another example, HANA studio is a native HANA application.

HANA enterprise is a license version of HANA. You can buy runtime licenses to run BW on HANA for example, and you can buy the enterprise license, which is a very comprehensive license to use many HANA capabilities. Please see your SAP account executive or SAP partner for details.

thank you

erich

sachin_kulshrestha2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Dear All,

While the two terminology has been explained well, i would like to add further on enterprise version on HANA fo whan Erich added,

Enterprise version of HANA  is a license version of HANA meaning that you can run BW on HANA and Native HANA on one database. We have similar concept in our organization where BW is an application server sitting on the same database as Native HANA. It offers a comprehensive capabilities when is comes to using capabilities, like you can expose DSO as analytic view on to NATIVE HANA and consume them for reporting or you can use Analytic/Calculation view exposed to Vritual provider in BW and consume them with Bex reporting.

But all this comes at a price, since the license for enterprise is expensive than in comparision to other variant avaliable in the landscape depend on the organizaiton usage.

Hope this should help clarify further!!!

0 Kudos

Hi Asha,

Below are the differences :

BW on HANA - Hana as a database for BW system where we can increase massive performance than the traditional databases leveraging Hana in-memory mechanism.

Native HANA : Bring all the data from SAP/Non-SAP sources to HANA DB using SLT/BODS(ETL tool) and perform modelling on top on Hana DB and perform the reporting on top of Hana DB.

Enterprise HANA : Develop applications on top of Hana as well as use Hana as a DB.

Cheers,

Charles