cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HANA Studio or Eclipse Luna with SAP HANA Tools?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I am new to HANA. I am confused between HANA Studio and Eclipse.

Some of the tutorials they refer HANA Studio. And in some places it is Eclipse with the HANA Tools.

Can some one clarify this?

What should I be installing in order to start development? Also, I am unable to find the download link for HANA Studio.

Thanks in advance,

Ajith Cheruvally

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

vivekbhoj
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Ajith,

You can use either of them. HANA Studio is also based on Eclipse only.

Check how to install HANA tools fro Eclipse:

SAP Development Tools for Eclipse

You can download HANA Studio and Client for Rev 80 from below link:

SAP | HANA Developer Edition

or you can log on to SAP Service Marketplace and download the latest HANA Studio and HANA Client from there.

Regards,

Vivek

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Vivek.

I will go with HANA Studio.

I don't understand the reason why we have two though.

Also, I remember Thomas (openSAP) mentioning that there is no need of client to be installed with the latest version of the HANA studio as the repository interface is in built within it. Hope just installing HANA Studio alone will do it.

Thanks,

Ajith Cheruvally

vivekbhoj
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Ajith,

Earlier only HANA Studio was available, If I remember correctly this year onwards we got HANA tools available as plugin for Eclipse. That's why there are two now.

HANA Client is not required since SP7 for working with Repository.

You need HANA Client for ODBC drivers so that you can connect HANA to reporting tools like Lumira via ODBC.

Regards,

Vivek

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hey Ajith,

If you using it for personal use then you can go with Eclipse Luna version as you will have more perspective in that.

But you have to add the plugins for hana dev, modelling and administration from SAP Development Tools for Eclipse

and paste this link https://tools.hana.ondemand.com/luna      in Help Install new software.

Hana Studio you can consider it as a professional tool for Hana Modelling/Development and other work and is mostly used in Enterprises. All the hana related perspective will come installed in that. For other perspective like for JAVA EE You need to install separately.

And one more thing that Vivek told If you want to use your views in Reporting You need to install Hana Clients for odbc drivers than only your views will be exposed to outside world.

That is possible through Hana Client only.

So If you want to work professionaly on Hana install Hana Studio and Client both.

As In few Open Sap courses they are using Eclipse but they are not exposing it oustside. But Depends on your scenario....

Regards,

Sumit