Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to db connect from SAP to SYBASE SQL anywhere 16 remotely

nicholas_chang
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi All,

May i know can i connect to SYBASE SQL Anywhere16 from SAP running on kernel 7.42 via dbacockpit (dbco)?

I've followed note 1737415 - Sybase IQ: Enable remote/secondary connect to SAP Sybase IQ1532253 - SYB: Remote DB Monitoring for SAP Sybase ASE

but failed.

Where can i find the dbsl and its client for sybase sql anywhere? I only can find SAP ASE and SAP IQ on SMP. Is those compatible with SQL anywhere 16?

Thanks.

Nicholas

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

JasonHinsperger
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

I am not aware of any work having been done to enable access to SQL Anywhere databases from dbacockpit.

However, SAP IQ and SQLA share client access drivers, so it could be that the instructions (and dbsl) for IQ will work for SQL Anywhere, but I have not tried it.

What exactly is the error message that you get?

--Jason

nicholas_chang
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Jason,

the error message is it complains minimun version for SAP IQ is 15.6, however our SQL anywhere is on version 16, above the support version as per note1737415 - Sybase IQ: Enable remote/secondary connect to SAP Sybase IQ

fyi, i'm using the latest sybase dbsl and SAPIQ 16 client.

Any idea or will it works to remotely connect SQL anywhere via dbacockpit?

Thanks,

Nicholas.

JasonHinsperger
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

It sounds like the dbacockpit is checking for a specific IQ version string from the server, in which case you will not be able to get it working with SQL Anywhere.

I think you are out of luck for now.  However, I will speak with the dbacockpit about supporting SQL Anywhere in a future update.

--Jason

nicholas_chang
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Jason,

Thanks again for the reply, and wait for your good news.

Meanwhile, what can i do to connect to SQL anywhere in SAP instance? Via odbc or jdbc driver?

And that's the way, how can i test it?

Thanks,

Nicholas Chang

JasonHinsperger
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

SQL Anywhere supports connections from ODBC and JDBC.  You can use the IQ drivers, or you can download the (free) SQL Anywhere developer edition, which contains the drivers and tools for connecting to the database and issuing adhoc SQL statements.  The developer edition can be found here:

https://global.sap.com/campaign/ne/sybase/sql_anywhere_16_download_program/index.epx?kNtBzmUK9zU

Answers (0)