cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

XS to another Hana System

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello everyone!

I have xs-application and 2 HANA systems, for example, hana1 and hana2.

XS-application based on hana1, but I want also use data from hana2.

Is it possible?

I was trying to call xsjs from hana2, but it was unsuccessful.

Thanks!

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

As an additional option:

1. you have to implement XSJS logic on both HANA instances (on 'slave' you can do just simplest data access services)

2. UI will interact only with 'master' HANA instance

3. from 'master' HANA you can call 'slave' XSJS service via XS HTTP Outbound API

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thank you for reply, i ll try to use XS HTTP Outbound API

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

paschmann
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

I have gone through some similar considerations and could only come up with 1 viable approach, which would be to place your XSJS server side data access layer on both HANA XS instances.

Then from your front end client side JS/?/* code you would make requests to both XSJS data sources (from your HTTP Requests/AJAX/etc.).

Another option with a similar type of process would be to have a XSOData service on both machines for the applicable data set and access them from either HANA or XS instance.

While the concept of HANA + XS is be tightly consolidated and integrated for performance/simplicity benefits, it would be great to have the option to configure our "connections" to solve these types of challenges.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thank you for reply, Paul.

Yes, it is possible in the future there will be a similar tool. I'll try to implement your ways.

lbreddemann
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Interesting approach.

Where do you see the benefit in implementing server-server-communications on XS-application level and thereby accessing data through two complete stacks?

To me this seems mixing up integration (which is available already on table access level) with your application code.

So, where's the benefit of this design?

paschmann
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hi Lars, I don't believe there is any benefit of this design and as you mentioned the most effective is way is probably to do SDA in certain cases.

However, in some cases, where the table structure or schema may not readily be known (think a data exploration app) you would not necessarily know which tables need to be in SDA to start with.

Another example of this (in my case with metric2.com) I was hoping (and still am) to offer a cloud based version of my monitoring tool which would be "connected" to multiple other HANA instances, in this case it would be unreasonable to configure SDA for each schema or use-case. But, it would be reasonable to request that a small xsjs/script be placed server side as a DAL.

(PS. Sorry to hijack the OP's thread, but I think it does add some context to the challenge).

lbreddemann
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Thanks for putting some more dots and lines into the picture!

I understand what you want to do much better now (at least it feels that way...).

Hmm... sounds to me as if a lot of infrastructure that is available in NetWeaver still finds its use cases in supposedly more light weight scenarios based on XS.

cheers, Lars

lbreddemann
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

The only option here would be to create a SDA table access to the second SAP HANA system.

To the XS program this would look like a local table.

But generally that's not the idea behind XS development or SAP HANA landscapes - so maybe it's time to reconsider your data integration design.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thank you for reply, maybe you're right..  In my opinion, i it would be convenient to use similar data in one application.