cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyway to pull in data from a .rtf file into my report?

Former Member
0 Kudos

I have information stored in .rtf files that I would like to pull into my report.  I am currently pulling into my report photos using an OLE Object and the file path of each photo.

I also have the file path of each .rtf file.  Is there anyway to pull or display the data from my .rtf files in the report using a concept similar to that of how we are currently pulling in the photos?

Thanks in advance.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

ido_millet
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

At least one of the 3rd-party Crystal Reports UFLs (User Function Libraries) listed at http://kenhamady.com/bookmarks.html allows you to do that.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thank you Ido,

I have been trying to figure this out for a while. 

I went to the link as Ido suggested above.  After looking around I found the section called Formula UFL's and clicked into the CUT Light UFL option.

I was able to download the user manual for that particular 3rd-party solution and found what I was looking for on page 9.  It is a formula that works with that solution and is called FileGetText().

I was able to request and install a 30 day trial of CUT Light.

This solution is working exactly like I was wanting.

Thank you so much!

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

former_member183750
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Terry

I am not quite sure if you want to see the entire rtf doc in the report, or just some parts of the rtf. If it is the doc, you should be able to add it as an OLE Object - but only the 1st page will be added to the report...

If you are trying to get CR to consume some part of the rtf, then there may be couple of possibilities:

1) Find an ODBC driver for rtf (not sure if there is such a thing), though there are ODBC drivers for txt files. Doing about 20 seconds of googling I came up with something called Monarch that may be able let you report off of rtf(?).

2) Read the data in the file and create a .NET Dataset off of that, then point the report at the dataset.

3) You may be able to open the rtf file in XLS and save it as XLS, then report off of the XLS.

- Ludek

Senior Support Engineer AGS Product Support, Global Support Center Canada

Follow us on Twitter

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ludek,

Thanks for your response.  The contents of the .rtf document will never have more than 6 or 7 lines, so it will never be longer than a page.

I tried pulling the information into my report using an OLE Object, but the only way I could get this to work is usng a hyperlink.  After running the report I would click on the link and a second page would open up with the contents of my .rtf file.  Is there anyway to get the contents of my .rtf file to pull into the report automatically?

I do not want a separate page for just the .rtf data, but I would like the 6 or 7 lines to show up in the section that I place the OLE Object.

Thanks.