cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

System Rename on AIX / Oracle

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Gurus,

i'm involved in a project that have to go live in a very short time, and one of the prerequisite is to create a new landscape from a source one.

So we were thinking to to speed the process making a flash copy of the source production system, and than rename it (SAP SID, hostname, DB SID), instead of a system copy.

The source system is an ERP 6 EHP4 / NW 701 on Aix with Oracle 10.2, installed in a cluster environment.

Actually database and central instance are on the same node, is it possible to make a clone of this node, and then rename the system?

I read the documentation concerning System Rename but i've not experience on this tool so it's not very clear to me what is possible and what not.

For example, the central instance is installed using the physical hostname, while ASCS and database have their own virtual hostname, can we use the tool in such environment?

Thanks and regards.

Simone Caponecchi

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Reagan
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

I have done it few times. I used flash copy feature to get the source system SAP and Oracle file systems copied to the target system. For systems without a flash copy I used the rsync feature to copy the contents of the source system SAP and Oracle file systems (only the binaries) to the target system. Once the copy was done I had to recreate all the symbolic links under ORACLE_HOME and under /usr/sap/SID. Additionally you will need to modify the environment variables of the ora<SID> <SID>adm users and also modify the SAP profiles, Oracle lisntener.ora and tnsnames.ora files with the target system details.

Reagan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi all,

this weekend we made system rename on a server clone and everything gone well.

Just a few notes from my experience:

1) If the schema has a name different from SAPSR3 (for example SAP<SID>) the tool creates SAPSR3 and configure it as default schema; so before you start renaiming the central instalcne you have to change value of $dbs_ora_schema (from SAPSR3 to original) and then change the password of user with brtools (note 534765).

2) The tool drops the original OPS$ users and recreates with the new SID, but it doesn't look for OPS$<OLDSID>, it drops every OPS$ it found; we have custom OPS$ users for the DBadmins that were all dropped.

3) The tool change the hostname of the dblinks in TNSNAMES.ora (both in SAP profile and in Oracle /network/admin), so you must restore the previous hostnames of the links that must work also in the clone system.

Thanks to everyone.

Simone Caponecchi

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

former_member188883
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Simone,

As you have recently gone live DB size won't be that high. The best and the easiest way to create a copy would be to take backup of Production system and restore it on new landscape.

Cloning of source system ( since its HA cluster) will not help as you may need to create similar environment on the target landscape and I assume this is not the requirement in your case.

Regards,

Deepak Kori

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Deepak,

maybe my first post was not very clear, the new system must be live in a very short time (10 january),

but the source system has been active for years and dbsize is about 4 teras.

There are a lot of customizations and scripts on the source system that we must port to the clone so we think would be easier to make a full clone and than clean what is usefulness.

Regards.

Simone Caponecchi

srinivasan_vinayagam
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Simone,

You can follow below procedure for System Rename.

http://scn.sap.com/docs/DOC-32851

http://scn.sap.com/docs/DOC-48330

Better option you will go for System copy instead system rename.

Regards,

V Srinivasan