cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Change the UME source system for AS Java ?

symon_braunbaer
Participant
0 Kudos

Hello,

sorry, but a quick google search didn't return any reasonable results, so I decided to quickly ask...

We have a Java system, which has its UME user store in an ABAP system.
Now our functional guys have asked us to disconnect the Java system and connect it to another

ABAP system, meaning it will use the user store of another ABAP system, usage type ERP.
Is that even possible ? If yes, kindly guide me how exactly to do that...

Thanks a lot !!

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Reagan
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hello Symon

There is a document written by for UME switch.

You may refer that to reconfigure the system to connect to a new ABAP stack as UME.

Possibly he can give you extra inputs in your case.

Reagan

symon_braunbaer
Participant
0 Kudos

Hello Reagan and thanks a lot for your reply!

A brief google research already brought me to that document yesterday! I have modified the UMEBackendConnection RFC destiination, as this document advises and it was a disaster... Nobody could login anymore to the Java instance! I have tried to activate the emergency user sap*, as described here:

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw73/helpdata/en/a2/03aa3d5acd40f082db65ee59c360b7/content.htm

But there was no com.sap.security.core.ume.service under the cluster config menu !!! I found it under templates and under instance. Under instance it could not be modified, so I modified it under template, but again after restarting the Java instance, it was not possible to login! So finally I have restored the system !!! I have opened a high priority OSS message with SAP as well!

Answers (6)

Answers (6)

TomXing
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Symon,

Technically it is possible. But just like others said, you'll never get support from SAP by doing this.

You can make sure the validity of guest user defined by ume.login.guest_user.uniqueids.

And then change the ume.persistence.data_source_configuration as well as the RFC Destination.

But if you ever look at the dataSourceConfiguration_abap.xml file, you'll know there's always some data stored on Java side, even though it's an ABAP datasource. There can be inconsistencies when you manually 'redirect' the backend datasource. You might be able to fix them manually, but others can be unexpected. A UME consistency check might able to help a little bit.

The safest way is to install a new Java system, which should not take you very long time.

BR, Tom

symon_braunbaer
Participant
0 Kudos

Hello everybody,

the above error in the screenshot was only a sporadic error, when I tried again, it was OK.

Tom, I agree with you, so, I would perhaps need to rephrase my question. The requirement is to disconnect a Java system from one ABAP system and connect it to another.

If simply changing the RFC destination is not guaranteed to work, then what is the recommended procedure for doing that ? A homogeneous system copy perhaps ?

Kindly advise, as we need to do that next week... Thank you!

symon_braunbaer
Participant
0 Kudos

I installed a new test Java instance and connected its user store to one of our ABAP systems.

Then I have created a new RFC destination: UMEBackendConnection<NewSID>, where <NewSID> is another ABAP system. Afterwards I have modified the RFC destination in server:port/useradmin, as suggested by Rodrigue. Following, I restarted the J2EE instance.

It seems to work, as now I am able to connect with the password from the <NewSID> system.

TomXing
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Symon,

1. As per note 718383, it's officially impossible to change from ABAP datasource (to any).

2. You can prepare a new Java system, so that it will point to some ABAP datasource during install, or switch from Java to ABAP.

3. If you have to do everything on a Java system that is already connected to ABAP datasource, you're on your own risk. Perhaps it's too difficult to summarize this action to a good document, so that SAP decided to ban it (see my previous reply for reason).

BR, Tom

symon_braunbaer
Participant
0 Kudos

Thank you, Tom! But installing a new system from scratch is too cumbersome, as we have installed additional applications on top of it and many settings and who knows what else was done. I guess that this will take longer than the business can wait.

In that case I will suggest them to either do the unsupported way, which I tested and it worked, or to go all the hassle of redoing everything from scratch!

Many thanks to you and to everybody who supplied helpful answers here!

rezaejersbo
Participant
0 Kudos

Hello,

I have the same scenario, My question is it any documentation about what is SAP's recommendation for UME set up on sap poratl?

Thanks

Reza

symon_braunbaer
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Reza,

I think that only your business department has to define which system will be the user store

for your portal. Otherwise you'd want to give sufficiently high setting for the maximum number

of parallel connection, depending on your expected user load.

There might be more to it, but this is all I could currently think of. Good luck!

rezaejersbo
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Symon,

Thanks for reaply. Yes the plan is configure SSO SAML 2.0 bys LDAP server.

Thanks

Reza

manumohandas82
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Symon ,

Enable the SAP*  user in J2EE , Complete the UME Configuration and  disable the emergency user

How to activate emergency user on AS Java - Basis Corner - SCN Wiki

Thanks ,

Manu

C1060644
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hi Symon,

To maintain the data source of your Java system, the easy way is do that with the UME interface (even if it's also possible to do that from configtool or NWA).

So:

1st Step: log on your UME http://<Java hostname>:5<Java System number>00/useradmin

2nd Step: clic on bouton "configuration"

3rd Step: clic on bouton  "Modify configuration"

4th Step: go in tab "ABAP System"

And then maintain the fields with the new logical ABAP system <SID>CNLT<MANDT>

I hope these advises will help you.

Regards,

Rodrigue WAMBO

symon_braunbaer
Participant
0 Kudos

Hello Rodrigue,

a very nice description, just I am getting an error, when I click the Configuration button, despite of the fact, that I am logged in as J2EE_ADMIN:

Do I need to grant a specific role to the user J2EE_ADMIN, in order to be able to perform this modification ?

C1060644
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hello Symon,

Accoording to your screen shot error message, the simple way is to add the user J2EE_ADMIN in "Administrators" group within UME, in order to perfom the administration operation like changing UME source system.

I hope this makes sense and gives you the information which you need.

If not, please let me know.

Regards,

Rodrigue

willi_eimler
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Seymon,

There is one problem you should consider:
All JAVA-Groups are stored as ABAP-Roles in the ABAP-stack. If you change the UME-connection to another  ABAP-stack you can loose  JAVA-groups. Without certain JAVA-groups the JAVA is not operational anymore.  Tarpan is right. You get an unsupported system.

Best regards
Willi Eimler

symon_braunbaer
Participant
0 Kudos

This is not gonna be a problem, because both ABAP systems are derived by a refresh from the same production system.

divyanshu_srivastava3
Active Contributor
0 Kudos
Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Symon

With ABAP as userstore, no changes (to another ABAP system or to DB or LDAP) is supported. Its not that it cannot be done, but it cannot be guaranteed that such a change will will be trouble free. You can refer sap note

718383 - NetWeaver: Supported UME Data Sources and Change Options

Cheers,

Tapan