Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maximum Result Set

shlomi_weiss2
Participant
0 Kudos

Does anyone knoe if the limitation of

"The result set has a fixed limit of 5000 rows or 50000 data cells." When working over Universe is still valid in 1.4?

Any ideas if it is something that is going to be changed?

Shlomi

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

TammyPowlas
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

It is the same per the SAP help page 69 http://help.sap.com/businessobject/product_guides/AAD14/en/ds14_user_en.pdf

I don't see anything stating that things will change per the Roadmap https://websmp106.sap-ag.de/~sapidb/011000358700000390622012D.pdf

Feel free to submit an idea on Idea Place

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Tammy,

Do you know which is the ratinonale for this limit?

It really reduces a lot of possibilities to take the most out of Design Studio.

thanks in advance and merry christmas

TammyPowlas
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Juan - that is probably a question for someone from SAP to answer about size limitations

IngoH
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Juan,

remember that Design Studio is there for "dashboarding" and not for "reporting" or "analytical reporting".

Why would you need 5000 rows in a single view in a dashboard ?

regards

Ingo Hilgefort

shlomi_weiss2
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Ingo

You are right that there is no meaning on showing 5000 rows on a dashboard

But the issue is that if you have for example over 5000 different products and you want to use that in a dimension filter to give the user the ability to filter by specific products you can't

And that is just a simple example

Shlomi

IngoH
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Shlomi,

think about what most of the products do by default. they show the first 100 or 200 values in a list of values and then they offer a search option.

Ingo

shlomi_weiss2
Participant
0 Kudos

That is what I'm looking for

But if your list of products contains over 5000 products you will not see anything and you cannot search as well!

Shlomi

MustafaBensan
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Shlomi,

Agreed.  I think ideally we need to see a paging API provided with DS data sources, similar to the functionality with standard OData web services.

Another use case for large data sets in a dashboard is to enable greater interactivity/responsiveness in master/detail relationships, for example where a long product list is presented and then a detail chart(s) / table is displayed for the selected product.  In this case, if we have separate queries for master and detail, the server round trip with each product selection can degrade the user experience because of response time.

In your case, with over 5,000 products, are you able to start a drill-down from a higher level, such as Product Group, to reduce the initially returned data set to be within the DS limit?

Regards,

Mustafa.

shlomi_weiss2
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Mustafa

Thanks for you reply

It is possible to go through product group of course but in my case it is not maintained and I need the product level itself.

There are other workarounds like building a prompt with pattern, and to use a text box to search, but it is not as friendly as the regular dimension filter

Shlomi

MustafaBensan
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Let's hope that data sources are enhanced in a future version of DS so that large datasets can be processed via an inbuilt paging/caching mechanism with corresponding API for programmatic manipulation too

Mustafa.