SAP for Mill Products Discussions
Explore conversations about production optimization, resource utilization, and quality control using SAP in the mill products industry. Join in or start your own!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ECC-DIMP: Paper density

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

I would like to know what SAP Standard business process covers Paper Density topic; I'm looking for the name of the business process, URL to documentation, etc.

Cheers,

Fouad

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

0 Kudos

Hello Fouad,

can you specify what you mean by "paper density topic"?
Are you talking about modeling paper grades in master data, supply chain, manufacturing? Are you talking about inventory management, or are you looking at the QM side to test for paper density of a specific paper roll?

Cheers,

Stefan

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12

Caetano
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hello

Thread moved to the space SAP for Mill Products & Mining.

BR

Caetano

0 Kudos

Hello Fouad,

can you specify what you mean by "paper density topic"?
Are you talking about modeling paper grades in master data, supply chain, manufacturing? Are you talking about inventory management, or are you looking at the QM side to test for paper density of a specific paper roll?

Cheers,

Stefan

0 Kudos

Hello, Stefan--

I'm looking for understanding all the points in the paper mills product creation where the value of the paper density initiated or can be changed.

Here is the end picture I'm trying to build:

In addition to that, I would like to understand where the value is been captured at the transaction level, Data Dictionary and the Config for pre-defined values.

Cheers,

Fouad

0 Kudos

Hello Fouad,

if you talk about the lifecycle of a paper roll in ECC this is much clearer.

The birth of a roll in ECC typically happens during the good receipt from production. You may have a production order for 60 rolls, and then receive roll by roll - either already on a WIP level, or at the final step of production.

In most cases a paper roll would be modeled in SAP as a batch. The density would then be a batch characteristic. You can either directly set this value (in one step with posting the goods receipt and creating the batch, or you can disconnect these steps). You can set the value as the result from a quality check if you relate the QM characteristic to the batch characteristic, for example.

If you also model WIP this characteristic may change operation by operation and can thus be updated, either under the same "batch name" or as a sequence of batches that are linked with each other by traceability information.

You can read about batch classification, QM and classification. This is probably the best starting point.

Does this help?

Cheers, Stefan

0 Kudos

Thank you, very helpful.

One more question, how close the density value set by the system vs the density of the Roll at the picking/shipping point?

Cheers,

Fouad

0 Kudos

Hello Fouad,

from my experience this is rather a question of weight than density. The paper weight may change with humidity, so to print the shipping papers you would surely put the roll on a weight scale to measure its real "physical" weight at that point in time.

The QM measured density is a value stored, but I have personally not heard of it being re-measured again at shipping time.

Cheers,

Stefan

0 Kudos

Thank you for the insight! Basically the density won't change (it's constant) since the characteristics of the batch will not vary. The volume & the weight do change.

Based on your experience, is there a way to forecast that variation? imbedded tool in APO/ECC or external solutions.

Cheers,

Fouad

0 Kudos

Hi Fouad,

I have never seen this forecast, and I am not sure I would see the value in doing so.

Normally measured weights are additionally fields e.g. in the delivery. I know customers in metals who calculated the net weight by density and dimensions, and measured the gross weight.

The data model supports this with 2 fields.

If you talk about forecasting, this is more about demand forecasting with quantities for the various paper grades, and thus derive a rough cut production plan, or a block plan. But this would be for paper grades.

Cheers, Stefan

0 Kudos

Hello, Stefan--

The last implementation I worked on, the client used APO and another 3rd party system (for trimming) to define the blocks plan and I believe that piece of the business process is quit clear.

However, what I'm trying to assess is the weight variation at the batch creation vs when the value is been recaptured at the labeling stage. I know there is certain level of tolerance but most of time it affects the shipping where the order can't fit in one truck and the shipping departement has to reschedule another shipment for the remaining rolls.

Based on your experience, that is the parameters needed to be considered in this scenario?

Cheers,

Fouad

0 Kudos

Hi Fouad,

good to know that you are involved here as well - APO and trimming is very much a standard process today.

I personally, and the colleagues I have talked to, have not heard of problems with weight tolerances related to shipping and transportation.

Once the batch is created it does not change a lot any more. You would have that in other industries where catch weight and drying processes are prominent. In paper I never heard of that.

The main deviation happens between what you plan to produce and what comes out of production. Sometimes a paper roll rips, or you overproduce. But in all cases once you have done the GR from production, you know how the roll looks like.

Regards,

Stefan

0 Kudos

True, the CG and the confirmations keep ECC-DIMP up to date vs the POs sent down to MES.

Stefan, What is the best way to share with you some information offline? Pl. let me know if that possible.

Cheers

Fouad

0 Kudos

Hello Foad,

you can contact me at my SAP email address stefan.weisenberger@sap.com, or we can also connect via LinkedIn, if you are present there.

Cheers,

Stefan