cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

export of specifications

Former Member
0 Kudos

HI all,

Is it possible to export a specification, and ensure that the  export contains all other specifications that the REAL_SUB contains? For example, a REAL_SUB may have a composition of 4 LIST_SUBs. I would like the 4 LIST_SUBs data to also be part of the export. When I say LIST_SUB data, I mean the specification data (value assignments) of that LIST_SUB.

I cannot seem to get this to work with the standard export process, unless I am missing something.

Can this be done? (without manually exporting each LIST_SUB)

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

christoph_bergemann
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Dear Scott

what are your business needs? depending on that you should look for a solution.

Currently you can list these "options"

a.) Standard Export

b.) Use of Output variants

c.) use of ALE

Any of them does have "cons"and "pros".

E.g. As detected by you:

a.) Standard export only the data for the specificaiotn of the hit list: no data for components etc. are downloaded

b.) Outputvariants: issue of "time" out can happen if you have a long list; to a certain extent the same is true as with option a.)

c.) ALE: it depends on your "target" system. ALE creates IDOCs. BUt yes component are part of the scenario. But in most cases you can not easily read and understand an "IDOC"; and you have the "issue" that you need phrase texts etc. (thgis is true as well for option a.)

The topic of "expot" (or import) data from EHS is discussed rarely: But links to some threads in regards of that.

On some level this thread discuss "similar" topics:

Whithour knowing your business requirement no further advice is possible (e.g. sometimes you would like to get the "download" in "XML" format

C.B:

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Christoph,

The business need is they want the ability to transfer some specifications from a Production system, to either the DEV or QA system. I would say that it would be done on a very small sample set, so this is not a major task. Primary reason to have these production examples in the other systems is to have the ability to test newly developed or upgraded functionality that was not promoted to Production yet. People like to have "real world" examples to test upon, so thus they want to copy some good products to the Dev or Test system.

I think the standard export will work now, as I can now get a hit list of the components by doing the output variant "Properties with Excel". The alternative of copying each one from the property was too cumbersome when there are over 20 components. I basically copy and paste that output variant result of components from Excel into the CG02 search, and then I have all the specifications i need in the hit list. What i have not tested yet - do I need to do separate exports of the components first so that they get loaded first, or can i have everything in the hit list and just make sure the REAL_SUb is last on the list - and hopefully means it will be imported last too.

christoph_bergemann
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Dear Scott

keep in mind: you need an iterative approach if you us the "EXCEL" approach. A component can conatin a component etc. etc.

Keep in mind that you need not only components, but reference substances; for some "test" scenarios you need as well the materials, business partners etc. etc. etc. Conclusion: you should generate first a "good" blueprint how to due ALE before you use it.

In your situation the ALE scenario is the best option. You can prepare the data on qual an dev "easily"; the only "con" is: as soon as you have done updates in qual or dev on the specification there is nearly no chance to get the data in sync with prod system any more. Many companies have different scenarios to take care the data on dev and qual. But if you need only "small" amount of data ALE is best option. As well you will get the phrases in sync easily. The "only" con might be: you need special access rights to start the ALE and ALE can be "difficult" in daily business. Some threads discuss this in this FORUM. ; if I remember correct I have colledted some links to "similar" threads here:

C.B.

JuanCarlosDelga
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Scott,

Other option would be using ALE,  in Product Safety --> Interfaces --> EH&S Appication Link Enabling (ALE) --> ALE for Specification Management --> Set Up Distribution of Specification Data you have a well detailed documentation.

The key is that you can distribute a 'Set of hits'.

Regards.

JCD

Ralph_P
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hi Scott,

I don't think that's possible. You can include the composition of the REAL_SUB in the export, so you know which LIST_SUBs are contained, but you have to export these LIST_SUBs in a separate export step.

Ralph

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Ralph, well that sucks! We have typically ~20 PURE_SUBs in compositions, which of couurse means we also have corresponding LIST_SUB data referenced to those as well...so actually in this case I would have to first export/import the LIST_SUBs, then the PUREs, and then the REAL_SUBs.

I'm going to see if i can somehow automate the collection of those  so that i can easily paste them into the search criteria. We do not have EhP7 yet, so i cannot easily copy and paste all the specifications from a composition. I may have to use the output variant "Properties with Excel" to get it in a clean format.