Application Development Discussions
Join the discussions or start your own on all things application development, including tools and APIs, programming models, and keeping your skills sharp.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SAT for measuring RFC FM getting callled multiple times sequentially

naresh_vvsr
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hello Experts,

I have an application, which calls one of our RFC function module 8 times sequentially. This is what I see when I debugged putting an external break point in the RFC FM.

I took a measurement of the application [ calling the RFM] via SAT using the following Scheduling parameters,

Server Name : All servers

External Session: Any

Process Type: Any

Object Type: Any

Max. No. of Sched. Measurements     1

Object Name: RFC FM

Expiration Date                  08.12.2014.

I see that in the measurement results, I only get a partial hit list of the underlying Function modules of the Remote Function Module. Meaning the SAT is not picking the entire measurement of RFM [ when called 8 times], but it is only showing measurements for one call of the RFM.

Should I be taking the measurement with the following and sum up all the individual measurements for entire process ?

Server Name : All servers

External Session: Any

Process Type: Any

Object Type: Any

Max. No. of Sched. Measurements     8   ----  Since RFM gets called 8 times

Object Name: RFC FM

Expiration Date                  08.12.2014.

Regards,

Naresh

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

former_member184455
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Naresh,

Yes, you have to schedule one measurement for each potential RFC or http request that might run on the servers under the traced user.

Best Regards, Randolf

8 REPLIES 8

Former Member
0 Kudos

Have you tried setting aggregation level in default variant to none?

Path: SAT > Variant...Settings > Duration and Type > Aggregation

0 Kudos

Hi,

Yes I have tried this option as well. But I don't get to see the complete measurement. Still I see that the sum of eight measurements is not equal to the single measurements.

Looks like SAT is taking measurement of just one call of RFC.

Regards,

Naresh

former_member184455
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Naresh,

Yes, you have to schedule one measurement for each potential RFC or http request that might run on the servers under the traced user.

Best Regards, Randolf

0 Kudos

Hello Randolf,

Thanks for the response. I am have taken the trace of individual RFC call.

But last question would be, the overall measurement [ Gross time taken or Net time taken in micro seconds] for the Application which makes multiple calls to the same RFC will be equal to -> the sum of all measurements for individual RFC call right ?

Thanks,

Naresh

0 Kudos

Hello Naresh,

Yes, if it's a synchronous RFC you should find both an entry "Rfc function_name" and an entry "Wait for RFC" in the trace of the program that started the RFCs.

Best Regards, Randolf

0 Kudos

Hi Randolf,

Since the measurement scheduled is directly on the OBJECT: RFC Function Module itself, I cannot see the WAIT for RFC statement.

as I don't have much information beyond this RFC FM, I cannot take a trace on the master program of the application which delegates the call to RFC FM.

I hope my understanding is fine.

Thanks,

Naresh

0 Kudos

Hi Naresh,

if it's synchronous RFCs (that is, application is waiting for the response of the RFC), then the overall runtime of the application will be the sum of all RFCs plus the time spend in the application itself.

It it's asynchronous RFCs (STARTING NEW TASK), then runtime of application might be (much) shorter than sum of RFC runtimes.

Best Regards, Randolf

0 Kudos

Hello Randolf,

I got the answer. Yes it is a synchronous call for the RFC.

Additionally I have one short question in the same context,

Why is that I don't get the measurement for all the underlying programs/FM's which fall under this main RFC FM, when I give  the function pool name [ Function Pool/Main Program of the RFC FM ] as the object while scheduling the measurement ?

I get to see that complete measurement for all objects [ Diff. Programs/ FM's ] under the RFC FM, only when I provide the RFC FM name while scheduling the measurement.

Regards,

Naresh