Career Corner Discussions
Join the conversation in the Career Corner group to ask career-related questions, find approaches to building skills, and seek career advancements.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SAP Arena and Flexibility

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All,

From reading a few posts in the forum there's alot of enthusiasm, professionalism and genuine passion for the SAP world. It's glad to know such an awesome network of amazing people exists online! Yes i've recently discovered the SAP community network and find it an amazing resource like many of you.

I'm interested in finding out how you all cope with work life balance. Do you find working as a SAP Business Analyst, Sap Functional Consultant, Sap Technical Consultant, SAP project Manager etc stressful in terms of work life balance? Are there long hours in your role? How do you cope with meeting the needs of kids, family and work?

Thanks for the insight if you can put your role in your response it would be much appreciated for me to understand how I may be able to do the same.

Kind regards,

Vandhana

5 REPLIES 5

paul_bakker2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

This question is not SAP Certification related. You might be better off in the Coffee Corner..

Anyway, let's hear about your role and coping mechanisms first! Nothing elicits sharing like sharing.

cheers

Paul

0 Kudos

Hi,

Thanks for the heads up. I've posted this in the coffee room. Hopefully some discussion around this would be great.

Former Member
0 Kudos

I think worklife balance is a two way street between the employer and employee. I have the flexibility to work from home. However is this option available to others out there in the sap world?

Thanks for the replies

former_member182098
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Vandhana,

Nevertheless, you posted on Certification forum, work life balance is common for any profession, not just SAP profession.

Most of the SAP jobs are not just 9 to 5 type of jobs. They are definitely demand. It does not depend on the position, it depends on the role involved. May be at times, the consultant would take lot of pressure than the Project Manager. Therefore, we cannot confirm this role would have lot of stress. At times, you may be required to be traveled to long distances and forced to away from home for months. At that time, only internet / phone / mobile is your only communication with your family. Sometimes, you are away from Monday to Friday. Therefore, you need to be choose according to your tolerance.

If you have family commitments, then I would suggest you should go for a permanent position (does not mean that permanent position will not have any stress) which is near to your home. At least you can reach back your home in the evening.

Hope this is useful to you.

Kind Regards,

Ravi

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Vadhana,

I am not sure you can answer this by looking at what module or SAP specialization people work in, it would more depend on the employer, or I should say, in my experience. I have worked for both types of employer, those that just want results and have no care for their staff, and consequently have a high staff turnover. To my current employer who is very much concerned with their employees well being and have an excellent staff retention, some people have been here for 14 years! Which is longer than I spent at school! Although not in SAP, but still in IT, which is impressive in itself.

There are times of long hours, heavy workloads but we are rewarded for our effort and being a family man, being given the extra time to spend with my family that my current employer allows is great. Work extra hours, I get TOIL, which when needing to go to kids plays, sports days etc. is a great help.

Though I will say this, my employer is not the norm and I did have to go through a few jobs but found the right employer for me and my needs, both family wise and professionally. the offset I suppose is my salary is below the industry norm, but weighing that up with spending time with my kids, for me it's worthwhile.

Kind regards,

Brendon