Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Negative Stock @ Interim ST 902

former_member318507
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Experts,

Just wanted to know the Pros and Cons of allowing and not allowing negative stock @ 902 ST(Interim ST).

It will be good ,if you brief the Impact analysis of allowing and not allowing negative stock @ 902 ST.

Assumption: There wont be any manual TR/TO creations.

Inbound Process: PO posted thru MIGO

Outbound Process: Outbound delivery VL02N- TO creation and PGI

Thankyou,

Ravi

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

JL23
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I personally do not like any negative stock. It is something that can never physically happen. Allowing it makes people relax instead of forcing them to find a suitable solution for a complicated situation. At some point of time (usually month ends) you need to equalize this negative quantity and this usually causes a lot analysis effort and trouble in the process at the worst timing.

former_member318507
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Thanks Jurgen for sharing the Pros of not allowing negative stock, Can you please share the Pros and Cons of allowing negative stock?

JL23
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Just say for what reason you need to the negative stock in 902. Why can the GR not be done before you putaway the material. If you do not know or get  a reason, then just do not allow negative stock.

former_member318507
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Jurgen, I understand that ONLY in case of PO- Inbound delivery- TO-- PGR process, we need the 902 to allow negative stock.

But want to know is  there any other possible WM internal functions/process which might fail if we didt allow negative stock in 902?(Interim bin)

As per my knowledge , no WM process would fail, expecting a double confirmation on the same from Experts.(Incase If I am not aware of any special/critical process which would fail- if we didt allow negative stock in 902)

JL23
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Processes do usually not fail technically if the option is made available by SAP (not talking about bugs). Processes fail because the people using them wrong or do not understand the consequences.

Despite of the fact that 902 is in SAP just a "virtual storage type" , I saw in many plants that it is a reserved area either on the ramp or near by. Just an interim storage before the material is put away. Because of this it is usually wanted to physically count the material even there. This is also possible. But it is not possible to count negative stocks. Hence you need to clear those negative stocks before you create your inventory documents.

If you follow up negative stocks very timely e.g. with the warehouse activity monitor, then the risk is not big. It is just the experience of 17 years that this follow-up is not made regularly  and finally ends at a consultants desk to investigate further. Just look around in SCN, you will find many discussions, where people try to fix things where nobody cared for more than 4 years.

former_member318507
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Jurgen, luckly i found a scenario which failed because of ST 916 does not allow negative stock.

Scenario: Return PO using 161 MT, doing thru MIGO, while posting i am getting this error.

Am I doing something incorrectly or wrong set-up ? please clarify me.

XXXXX; Available stock shortfall of  50.000 KG in interim storage bin

Message no. L9040

Diagnosis

In Customizing, the setting is such that no negative stock is allowed in storage type 916.  However, this posting will cause negative stock to exist in storage bin OUT-ZONE of storage type 916.

JL23
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

This scenario can be setup to work differently.

It is not logical to goods issue prior to having picked the quantity, even the standard settings of SAP expects it. There is a break in SAPs approach. For outbound deliveries to customers you have to pick first and then you can do a goods issue, for something moved to a cost center they expect the goods issue prior to the WM movement.

Such logic breaks even cause all the confusion that happen with WM, we have setup our WM to match with the physical goods flow.

former_member318507
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Jurgen, Can you please let me know how can we set-up this scenario to work differently? without allowing negative stock @ 916? Do you mean to say i need to map the 161 MT to different WM MT? Can you please provide more details?

former_member318507
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Jurgen, Can you please clarify me, is it STD SAP bug or GAP? few cases it does not look for stock @ interim ST, but few cases it look for stock @ interim .( But ultimately stock is being picked from the physical ST and not interim ST)

I could resolve the error in 2 ways, but want to understand which method is the SAP best practice?.

1. Allowed negative stock @ 916 ST ( leave all setting AS IS, most consultant prefer this)

Pros: No process will fail, consultant cannot test all the 1000 STD SAP movement types.

Cons: Negative stock might pile-up in interim ST, incase ppl use them wrongly.

Behavior: Assumed that it would post negative stock in 916 ST, but SAP behavior was weird, TO was created from Z** ST (physical location) to 916 ST, which is perfectly fine and expected. But then why it was throwing error message " Available stock shortfall of  50.000 KG in interim storage bin " (before allowing negative stock @ 916)

2. Provided destination ST Z** in T333 table (From ST to be picked) - Do not allow negative stock @ 916.

Pros: No negative stock pile-up, Always postive stock.Business prespective it is good.

Cons: Need to test all possible SAP STD MT( approximately SAP has 1000 STD MT), if not some xxx MT might fail.Consultant prespective it is bad, as it would be called as mistake.

MANIS
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

you initiated the thread with negative stock in 902 and in between thread is about the return PO and negative stock in 916, Could you please isolate these two scenario and mention what steps are you following exactly and at what step you are getting the error message

former_member318507
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Manish,

Actually my question is pros and cons of allowing negative stock @ interim bin 9**. 902 was taken as an example.If you can read the entire thread now, you will understand what i am expecting.

During some random testing found that 161 MT is failing, since 916 does not allow negative stock.

Hence I have put my understanding on this thread @ Ravindran Ganesan Dec 18, 2014 9:02 AM
Awaiting for expert opinion on the same.

Return Process:

1. Return PO created.

2. Using MIGO - GR return PO is entered.

3. System will treat that as return PO and 161 MT will be populated in the line item details.

4. while posting , I am getting this error.

If you read my earlier post, I have mentioned solution also for this in 2 methods.

MANIS
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

As far as pros and cons are concern i can see the enough information was already provided by Jurgen,

with regard to return process

Create return Purchase Order (my understanding is that you want to return the material to vendor and if that is so then you need to create outbound delivery and Transfer order / perform picking from source storage type (Rack / OPN / Bulk as per your warehouse config) and transfer to Destination storage type (916)

are you following the steps as mentioned above or is there any deviation to that ?

former_member318507
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Manish,

Return process 2 methods are there one is via PO and 161 MT directly and other is PO-Outbound

delivery XXX MT.

We are having PO return via 161 MT, so below are the ONLY steps( PO item will be marked with return indicator)

Return Process:

1. Return PO created.

2. Using MIGO - GR return PO is entered.

3. System will treat that as return PO and 161 MT will be populated in the line item details.

4. while posting , I am getting this error.

MANIS
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Not much familiar however when i look the configuration then movement type 161 is mapped with WM movement type 601 which is basically an outbound process.hence in my personal opinion you were supposed to use the outbound process...however you can wait for expert suggestion from other SCN team member