cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

easiest EAServer replacement?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi -

I used to have EAServer 6.3 running PB 12.5 nvos but my server hardware crashed and I cannot seem to get another version of EAServer from SAP.  If I cannot get another copy I would like to know what is the easiest way to get a developer version application server to run my NVOs.  I was executing them from JavaScript in IE Browser so I would like to run my browser pages and NVOs from the same application server.

I do not need an application server that is not high volume or enterprise level.

Thank you,

Marc W  

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Marc;

EAS is the only application server that can host PowerBuilder NVUO's due to the fact that it can also host the PBVM (run-time) modules that are needed for the NVUO's execution. Sybase did have an "Application Server Plug-In" (ASP) product that was in essence the EAS/PB run-time layer that could be installed into almost any JVM based application server. Thus, with the SAP - you could run your NVUO's in jBoss, WebSphere, WebLogic, JEUS, etc.

However, with the demise of both the ASP and EAS products, it is now no longer possible to host your C++ based NVUO's in a middle tier product.

My only suggestion is to convert your EAS based NVUO's into .Net Web Services and deploy them to IIs (supported by PB Classic). Then call the NVUO's methods using standard WS calls to the NVUO's in IIs layer using http (vs IIOP in EAS).

Regards ... Chris

PS: If your EAS NVUO';s were also supporting a web based application - I would suggest looking at the Appeon product (http://www.appeon.com) as a replacement.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thank you Chris for your reply.

I would like to look into converting my NVOs to .net.  Yes, I use a browser UI and was executing the NVO's with server side JavaScript calls.  If IIs can handle this, where could I go to get advice on how to  convert my NVOs to .net and then using WS calls using http in IIs?

I will look at the Appeon product but I do need something that will allow time for making an assessment before purchasing.

Thank you again,

-Marc

Former Member
0 Kudos

FYI: I will be talking about a lot of this at the PB Conference in May 2015 ...

2015 Charlotte Sessions Announced! | NCPBUG

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Chris,

I have one final question. I have a single PBL holding my NVOs and datastores.  In PB.NET - should I use a WCF Service Target or a .NET assembly target so that I can deploy to IIs and call the NVOs from JavaScript?

Thanks again,

-Marc

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Marc;

You can use either PB Classic or PB.Net to transpose your NVUO into a Web Service.

The only question about PB Classic vs PB.Net is whether your JavaScript can support the REST protocol that PB.Net generates for the WCF deployed component. If your Java environment only supports SOAP - then the PB Classic IDE might be the better/easier route. If both protocols are supported - then you can use either PB IDE - so then it becomes one of personal preference or maybe a personal learning opportunity for PB.Net.

Good luck!

Regards ... Chris

Former Member
0 Kudos

I would like to look into converting my NVOs to .net.

Have you considered using PB.Net to create WCF services and just host them in IIS? Or create .Net assemblies and reference them using WCF services written in C#?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Mark -

Since I have not used PB.net before and really need to show a proof of concept to a client soon, I am really looking for the fastest/easiest way to get my NVO's deployed to IIs instead of EAServer and then modify my JavaScript/ browser pages so the application would work again.

The PBL houses the NVO's also holds datastores that were used to get data that were going into browser data-store objects but all handled with JavaScript to render them. The entire project connects to 1 MS SQL Server database.

I am guessing that it is either a Web Service in PB classic or WCF service in PB.net which might be the easiest path.

If I can debug and test without IIs through the "console" mentioned in PB.net then that would be a big plus.

Thank you for any suggestions.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hey Marc,

Sounds like a lot of fun and a great opportunity to learn a little .Net. Start small with a demo app that gets data from a db using a datastore and returning it back. You'll make lots of mistakes so you'll probably create several small apps as you figure it out. Once you figure out what you're doing then you can start importing NVOs and wiring them up.

You can begin by hosting with a console but quickly move on to IIS. IIS can be frustrating and there's a lot to learn. The sooner you start learning about it the better. Wcftestclient.exe is a useful tool for testing as well. I also like to create a WPF app as a client to use for testing because that allows me to control/ adjust the proxy settings and also see the results formatted.

The good news is you have the .Net framework at your disposal. Just add a reference and keep on trucking.

Bruce Armstrong has done a tremendous number of blogs, articles, videos etc using PB.Net. If you can't find what you're looking for googling just ask.

Good Luck!

Mark