cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recognizing Complex Assets on SAP

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All,

I am working with a client to recognize its complex assets on SAP. Before now, its assets were recognized at the highest level. E.g. Aircraft. But due to new regulatory requirements, there is a need to break down that aircraft into components. E.g. Engine 1, Engine 2, Cabin Structure etc. So I created these component assets as sub asset numbers to the already existing main asset number.

After this was done, there was the need to break down the values of the assets and transfer these values into the sub asset numbers. I noticed that once the final amount was transferred using ABUMN,  SAP deactivates the main asset.

So I decided to create new main asset and sub numbers separately. After transferring these values into the newly created asset sub-numbers and checking my report. I discovered that the main asset number had a value of zero, while the sub-numbers carried their correct individual values.

My client requires that when they call up the main asset number, they should see the summarized value for the whole asset, and when they drill down, they should be able to see the individual assets with their values correctly stated.

I would appreciate professional guidance on what I am doing or not doing right here.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (5)

Answers (5)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Tunde Mike,

Don't think it is possible to roll up the values of the sub assets to the main asset as you've mentioned. This is because a sub asset is a unique asset having it's own identity, depreciation terms useful life etc.

This is in line with the requirement of IAS 16 or a similar local GAAP.

If your requirement is purely from the reporting point of view you could create a display variant for asset reports like AR01 with a sub-total on Main Asset Number.

Or you could try to create a new sort variant as per the requirement.

Regards,

Arjun

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks all,

I discovered that by simply playing around with some available reports, notably  S_ALR_87011963, I can have the asset values displayed in the way the client wants to see them.

Rajeev_kumar1
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hi ,

Please follow below may be it helps you..

Complex Asset with Component Parts    

Use

If an asset consists of several component assets, it may make sense to monitor the individual sub-assets separately. For complex assets, for example, there is often a need for uniform depreciation of the entire asset in the book depreciation and tax depreciation areas, whereas for cost accounting purposes, the sub-assets should be depreciated separately.

Features

Therefore, you can manage asset components in the system as sub-numbers. There are several reasons for managing component assets as sub-numbers:

• The development of values for component assets is separate for each sub-number.

• The sub-numbers can have different cost accounting assignments (for example, to different cost centers).

• The asset can be divided along technical lines (for example, links to equipment in Plant Maintenance)

• Investment support can be represented as negative sub-numbers.

• If it is necessary to manage subsequent acquisitions separately in order to be able to monitor their depreciation and book values separately, you must manage these acquisitions on independent sub-numbers. For all subsequent acquisitions, create a new sub-number per year of acquisition. You guarantee that this takes place by setting the Acquisition only in the capitalization year indicator in the depreciation key.

Subsequent Acquisitions

The following graphic shows the treatment of subsequent acquisitions to complex assets:

This graphic is explained in the accompanying text

Subsequent Acquisitions with Sub-Number

When assigning the sub-number, it can be advantageous to specify the numbers yourself externally, rather than leaving sub-number assignment to the system. In this way, you can represent the specific structure of the asset. In order to monitor the value development of subsequent acquisitions to sub-assets (for example, upgrading or replacement acquisitions) separately according to years of acquisition, it is recommended that you use the following system for sub-number assignment.

Depreciation Terms

By means of the screen layout control for the asset class

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_470/helpdata/en/4f/71e05a448011d189f00000e81ddfac/content.htm, you can specify whether the depreciation terms can be maintained at the sub-number level. You also specify in the screen layout control that uniform depreciation be carried out for all sub-numbers belonging to a main number. This specification will ensure that the evaluation and depreciation of all sub-numbers is identical, and that depreciation is calculated using the identical depreciation terms. To carry out changes to asset master data that are uniform for all sub-numbers, enter an asterisk (*) in the sub-number field in the initial screen of the change transaction. The system then carries out the changes that were made at the main number level for all sub-numbers.  

Reports

In the display transactions and in reports, you can display asset values either individually by sub-number, or collectively. For displaying the asset values, you can also enter an asterisk (*) in the sub-number field in order to obtain totals for all sub-numbers. Partial summations are possible by entering the sub-numbers in the following form:

1*

sub-numbers from 1000 - 1999 -

01*

sub-numbers from 0100 - 0199 -

001*

sub-numbers from 0010 - 0019 -

Thanks Much,

Rajeev

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Rajeev,

I already have that documentation.

former_member182098
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Are you talking about AW01N.

Please put * in the sub number filed

for example 400000   *

Then the values would be shown for both main and sub-assets combined together.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ravi,

Thanks for your response.

I am aware that I can display the values of the assets by putting a * in the sub number field with tcode AW01N. But this does not work with the asset register reports using tcode AR01.

Client wants to call up the main asset number and see the total value of the  complex asset.Then upon calling up the asset sub-numbers they want to see the assets and values that make up the total amount.

former_member198650
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Tunde,

It is not possible to display the asset values as you have mentioned. Because the main asset has deactivated.

Regards,

Mukthar

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Muktar,

I realised that. That is why I decided to create a new asset main number and sub numbers to transfer the asset values into.