Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IE crashing when starting CDT

former_member202106
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi All,

I would like to inform all of you that after November's Microsoft update round we have received few messages about crashing IE when launching CDT.
The root cause is unknown but we have few very good candidates:

1. Name Ctrl class:
NameCtrl Class crashing Internet Explorer when hovering over Lync presence icons - Spiceworks

In this case an add-on to IE seems to crash the browser.

2. KB3008923

HELP! KB3008923 breaks window.dialogArguments in secondary windows! | Microsoft Connect

Different users are reporting about IE crashing after this update.

3. KB3003057
KB3003057 crashes IE 11 - Microsoft Community

Some reports about crash.

So, I would like to hear if anyone has any similar experiences lately.

Regards,
Jukka Suhonen
SAP Contact Center team

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member202106
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi All,

Because there is a lot of question around this topic I will summarize the story:

Please note that following is the best knowledge at the moment and if you decide to use the information below you should test it it your own quality/lab enviroment before taking to production:

KB3008923:
This update breaks modal dialog funtionality in IE. In CDT this issue can bee seen in voicemail window or when CDT prompts to reaload - it will display blank popup.
Also when the update is installed browser starts to crash almost every time when you try to open CDT.

KB3025390 for IE11 only:
Microsoft released this fix to fix the modal dialogs issue. When this update is installed CDT stays in loading window, doesn't start and time to time browser crashes when you try to open CDT.

Fix provided by SAP:
For SP6 Patch1 version see SAP Note 2122266
For SP7 version see SAP Note 2122309

This fixes the Microsoft issue where browser crashes. All supported IE versions.

Fix contains a server file and registry settings for client workstation.

Registry keys provided in SAP Notes:
Is a way to allow our proxy to run without IE's build in security check. This check is causing the issue that CDT stays in loading window.

Customers that are running IE11:
If all Microsoft updates are installed you should install the hotfix for SAP Contact Center and define the registry keys. The hotfix is recommended even you do not have installed Microsoft updates.

Customer that are running IE10/9/8:
If all Microsoft updates are installed you should install the hotfix for SAP Contact Center.

Regards,
Jukka
SAP Contact Center team

PS: Please keep in mind that IE11 is supported from SP7 onwards. If you try to use older release with provided registry keys you will see issue with windows sizing.

UPDATE:
Microsoft released KB3021952 which is replacing couple of earlier IE fixes. After installing that it seems like the registery keys are not needed. We are currently testing that and I will report about the findings when we have any.

UPDATE2: (23.3.2015)
CDT launches fine after installing the KB3021952 and after the registery keys are removed. The recommenation is still to try the KB in your lab enviroment before taking it to production enviroment.

Answers (6)

Answers (6)

former_member158363
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Jukka,

just a question regarding the upcoming SP8 - will SAP manage include this hotfix as part of upcoming SP8 too? I assume the SP8 will be released in a few weeks and this hotfix seems to be quite fresh.

Thanks and regards,

Dawood.

former_member202106
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Dawood,

Yes, it will be there.  

//Jukka

former_member202106
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi All,

Finally there is an solution available.

SAP Contact Center SP6 Patch1 users please see SAP Note 2122266
SAP Contact Center SP 7 users please see SAP note 2122309

Regards,
Jukka

0 Kudos

Hi Jukka,

We came to know that Microsoft has released a new KB KB3025945 to fix the IE crash issue.

do we still need to install hotfix

does any note is available for BCM 7.0 SP5  version as well.

Best regards

Swatantra Chourasiya

alexander_kupke
Participant
0 Kudos

I would not be to sure this Microsoft Hotfix helps with the discussed problem.

It may be, but Microsoft describes the fix only as solving an Issue with IE9 not even starting when KB3008923 is installed.

And even with that one fixed there is still one Hotfix having a problem left.

Alexander

former_member202106
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

I do not have information how the KB3025945 is related to this issue. Would be of course nice to know. What we have heard is that crashing all the time when launching CDT is more related to newer browsers (IE10 & IE11) and older version are suffering random crashes.

Could you please raise a ticket if there is a request for hotfix top of SP5.

Regards,
Jukka

0 Kudos

Hi Jukka, Alexandaer,

We will have the KB3025945 deployed for users in coming month as ths is month end.

I myself is facing issue with IE 9 while runnng CRM and CDT both.

Going to apply the KB3025945 my self and check if we still face the issue,

Thanks for your reply and suggestions.

Best regards

Swatantra Chourasiy

0 Kudos

Hi Jukka,

We are also facing the problem while below patches was installed on users machine .

SAP CDT was in opening state .

Can you please let us know if any fix is released form microsoft to resolve these issues.

Best Regards

Swatantra Chourasiya

former_member202106
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Swatantra,

Currently there is no fix from Microsoft for this issue and I do not know if they are planning to release a fix. We are anyhow in discussion with Microsoft and I'm looking forward to get more information during this week.

As said earlier the only workaround at the moment is to uninstall the fixies.

Regards,
Jukka

alexander_kupke
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi all,

did anyone come up with any news or a solution so far?

Some of our customers security guys are quite uncomfortable removing Microsoft Hotfixes...

What I found so far about those three Hotfixes:

KB3003057 - This causes IE error messages when starting CDT, but it will start when messages are ignored (no guarantee on possible side effects so far!). I was only able to reproduce this with IE11, IE10 seems not to be affected.

KB3008923  - this one also seems to have little to no effect with IE10, at least in the customer environment where I had to check last time, on systems with IE 11 I had this one only together with KB3025390. But this one seems to cause quite some Problems with SAP CRM Web Client.

KB3025390 - No matter which IE version, this one causes CDT to stay on "waiting" as described. But CRM issue seems to be fixed.

Alexander

former_member202106
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Alexander,

this is what we know so far:

1. Problem is mainly in IE11 but also other version affected.

2. CDT works if you remove KB3003057 & KB3008923

3. The problems started from KB2008923 and MS made KB3025390 to fix the issues but it made the situation even worse, CDT stays in loading state as you said.

4. Sidetopic: KB3003057 seems to have an side effect to enterprise mode via GPO

5. We have tried multiple different workarounds from enterprise mode to tweaking reqistery but no luck.

I think following text describes best the scale of issues the fixies have created:
Copy from reddit.com

"KB3025390 is an out-of-band update released last week related to KB3008923.

KB3008923 caused problems with nested modal dialog boxes in IE. This patch broke our ability to assign helpdesk tickets in our ticketing system, making it seriously problematic.

The day we discovered this problem Microsoft released KB3025390 specifically to fix this issue. I deployed it (without a test phase)to resolve our prominent issues.Now I'm finding out that KB3025390 is breaking Javascript in IE, which is causing huge problems for our QA Department. Yay! So today I'm uninstalling both KB3025390 AND KB3008923 to get the environment stable again.

Keep an eye out for this update in your environment. If pop-up boxes or scripts suddenly cause problems in IE, this would be the cause."

With the quote Im saying that SAP Contact Center is not only one who is suffering because of this. As said we haven't found any other workaround than uninstall the fixies.

Regards,
Jukka

former_member202106
Contributor
0 Kudos

4. Microsoft released KB3025390 to fix issue in KB3008923 (number 2 in the list) and it seems to cause total disaster. CDT stays on loading window and doenst allow to log in.

//Jukka

Former Member
0 Kudos

Update KB3025390 is causing CDT to crash for both Win7 and Win8 users with IE 11.

Uninstalling the update and restarting the PC restores the functionality.

Nightmare morning for all of us here.

Sandra

Former Member
0 Kudos

3. This caused me a lot of random crashes at CDT startup. I have Windows 8.1 and IE 11.