cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

page setup dialog bug in visual studio 2013

former_member657844
Participant
0 Kudos

I ran CRforVS_13_0_11.exe to install crystal reports into Visual Studio 2013. The Crystal Reports > Design > Page Setup dialog does not work. If I try and change a margin setting the dialog becomes unavailable. Changes are not saved. I've reinstalled the .exe to no avail. Is this a recognised bug?

The problem happens with new reports and existing reports.

Robert

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member188030
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Robert,

Sp11 had regression issues, could you try installing SP12.

-Bhushan

former_member657844
Participant
0 Kudos

Thanks. I installed sp12 but unfortunately there is no change. There is still a bug in Page Setup and it is unworkable. I'm running Windows 7.

former_member188030
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

What edition of VS 2013 are you using?

-Bhushan

former_member657844
Participant
0 Kudos

Update 4

0 Kudos

Hi Robert,

What Bhushan was asking is if you are using a Express version or another version.... Designer does not integrate into Express versions.

I tried it in my VS 2013 install and it works for me:

Changed the margins from .167 to .5

What is your default printer, may have something to do with it.

Also, more issues with Windows XPS printer so don't use it for testing or have it set as your default printer.

Another issue is are you connecting to your DEV PC using Remote Desktop Connector? It has issues with Redirect ( EasyPrint ) also, it can take 5 minutes to print a report, MS is working on fixing this issue.

Don

former_member657844
Participant
0 Kudos

Sorry, it's Visual Studio Professional Edition Update 4. The same problem happens in Visual Studio 2012 Professional installed on the same machine. The default printer is an HP LaserJet, working fine with everything else. Not connecting using RDC or any terminal services. The printer is a network printer, using tcp/ip. I'm connected locally to the computer.

former_member657844
Participant
0 Kudos

This is what it looks like when I make changes. Controls reappear as you move the mouse over them. Changes are not saved.

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

former_member657844
Participant
0 Kudos

This is still a problem - nothing has changed. The Page Setup dialog will not allow margins to be changed, though other attributes in the dialog can be altered and saved. I have tested this on different machines and also tried to alter page margins in VS2012, VS2010 and VS2008. In VS2008 I can open a report and change the margins. When I open the same report in VS2013 the margins are reset to zero. I have not found any workaround to enable me to set page margins.

There is no "production" environment.

The problem occurs with all printers, not just one.

Visual Studio is up to date as is Windows 7

former_member657844
Participant
0 Kudos

I've just discovered that setting it to No Printer fixes the problem. When No Printer is checked, then I can change page margins and save settings.

0 Kudos

Hi Robert,

Now that is strange, No printer should not be used for custom paper sizes or label reports. Unless the paper size is the default of the printer.

I curious, how do you get the margin dialog box when printing? Printing from the CR Viewers Print button does not give you that ability and using the Embedded Report Designer in your application is not available? the Embedded Designer is for uses in the VS IDE only and is the only place I see where you could set the margins:

Have you created your own Margin dialog box?

SP 12 does have a lot of new Printer API's and collections/properties.

Using No Printer causes the engine to use the properties of your default printer. Which may explain what is happening.

Or are you setting the margins in the Preferences of the printer itself after selecting the printer?

So please explain where that Printer Dialog box is appearing?

This sounds to me like your PC may have issues with the video card.

Don

former_member657844
Participant
0 Kudos

The Page Setup dialog is available in the VS IDE under the Crystal Reports menu. I have no issues with my network printers from any PC. The problem occurs with any choice of printer in this dialog. Now I have a workaround so the issue is no longer critical. By selecting No Printer I can finally control the margins. I'm surprised anybody can alter margins with a printer selected because I have tried on various PCs, printers and versions of VS and all fail. The dialog margin values are not editable and cannot be saved. Hopefully sp12 will fix it..

0 Kudos

Hi Robert,

Ah, the Report Designer built into the VS IDE is not to be used as WYSIWYG. It's the legacy ActiveX report designer and is only for use within the IDE and for a quick view. None of your users will see this screen so setting up the page margins is based on the Default printer on the Users PC unless they have the same printer as what is saved in the RPT file.

What you should do is check on the Dissociate option and not use No Printer. this way the SDK will look for the same Printer and Paper size and the margins as defined and saved in the report.

For more control on what is saved in the RPT file you should get a full version of CR Designer 2011 or 2013.

Also, check those links on Printing on the home page of Crystal Reports Designer forums. Ludek and I have spent a lot of time explaining how printing works.

Here's the link:

http://scn.sap.com/community/crystal-reports/content?filterID=contentstatus%5Bpublished%5D~objecttyp...

No Printer is optimized for WEB applications only. for Label reports they MUST have a printer associated to the report.

But if this works for you now then great, just be aware you may have problems with various sites depending on how the users have printers installed.

Don

Former Member
0 Kudos

I have Windows 7 32 bit, Visual Studio 2013 Update 5, Crystal Reports v.13.0.12.

I upgraded my program from VS2008 to VS 2013, and the crystal reports also.

In the old version of the program I was printing to 100mm x 80mm barcode label, and would have the same print in diferent printers model.

Now with the upgrade, my print is the same, but in my customer place the print is smaller.

How to fix this?

former_member183750
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

This may be due to runtime or the printer driver. E.g.;

Make sure the CR runtime is identical on the dev and production  computers.

Check the printer driver being loaded on the production pc.

Check for any updates for the printer driver.

- Ludek

Senior Support Engineer AGS Product Support, Global Support Center Canada

Follow us on Twitter

Former Member
0 Kudos

This issue also happening in the same computer, when the old printer prints right page, and the new model of the printer prints incorrect page.

Another issue is in my computer (32 bit OS) when I can't go to page setup, because the Visual Studio collapsed. In other computer, with 64 bit OS, I can go the page setup.

I tried to link to the new model of the printer at the 64 OS, and the print was good, but when I run this program at 32 bit OS, the print was not good.

If in page setup I choose the option "No printer", it prints to the default printer, even if I choose other printer with the command "objRpt.PrintOptions.PrinterName = g_LabelPrinter".

To deal with the issue, I linked to the new printer in 32 bit OS at the VS2008 project, copied the files to the VS2013 project and debug it as is. It works with both OS. This is an indirect solution, but it should not be that way.

There must be a direct solution to this problem.