cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Database login prompt issue on Windows XP machine

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

I've built a .Net application using crystal reports. The application runs fine on my Windows 7 development machine, and runs fine on 6 of our clients Windows XP machines.

The issue is with only 1of our clients XP machines. Every time crystal runs, a database login prompt appears.

On all of the XP machines I've installed the .Net 4 framework, CRRuntime_32bit_13_0_8.msi, and sqlncli.msi (32 bit).

There is no issues connecting to the database on the offending machine.

I'm absolutely stumpted,and would appreciate any help or input.

Many thanks.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

former_member183750
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Brian

You're getting some fantastic help in all of these replies. All apply, all are correct (including the non support of WIN XP), all are great. One thing I don't see is the db connection method. As Janos mentioned this is more than likely an issue with the machine or with the connection between the machine and the server. One way to test that is as follows:

If using OLE DB, use a UDL, see if you can connect to the database via the UDL.

If using ODBC, see if you can connect using sqlconn32.

If the above fail, it is just a confirmation that this is an environmental issue and unfortunately, you'll have to work that a bit.

Umm, one other thing to do; compare the runtimes between a PC with WIN XP that works to the one that does not. Use the Modules utility for that. Do check everything (CR runtime, db client, MS C++ runtime files as well as any and all system files).

- Ludek

Senior Support Engineer AGS Product Support, Global Support Center Canada

Follow us on Twitter

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ludek,

I'll run that modules utility, and see if it identifies anything.

Thanks for your help.

former_member207665
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Brian,

It looks like you have a .NET Windows Application installed on all of the machine.

I would like to know, how is the particular application compiled?(x86,x64 or ANY CPU). If its 64bit machine use x64, if 32bit use x86, avoid using ANY CPU.

Please check for the permissions to the TEMP Directory. Make sure you have full control permissions on it.

NOTE:

Windows XP Operating System is not supported as Microsoft no longer provide support for Windows XP.

View Supported Platform Guide

So it may work or it may not, as the CRRuntime_32bit_13_0_8.msi is not tested on Windows XP OS.

Regards,

Vinit

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Vinit,

Yes, the application is building to any cpu. I can't see how that would be an issue on 1 particular XP machine, but not on any of the other XP machines, but I'll certainly give it a try, and build a 32 bit version.

I will check the TEMP folder permissions.

Thanks

Former Member
0 Kudos

Have you mentioned the database credentials in the code? Or in the web.config file?

I mean when you are querying the database and fetching the result, you have been mentioning the credentials?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Tyagi,

Yes, I have mentioned the database credentials. The same application is running without issues on 6 other client XP machines, all pointing to the same database.

I put some logging around the crystal calls, and the connection string is as it should be. I'm really baffled.

Thanks for your help.

Former Member
0 Kudos

May be this logging is creating the issue, can you test after removing that code?

Former Member
0 Kudos

No,  I just added the logging yesterday, to see if it would shed some light on the issue.

Thanks again

János_at_SAP
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hello,

try to reinstall the database driver you are using on your machine where the prompt opens.

Thanks,

János

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Janos,

yes, I reinstalled the sqlncli msi, which contains the relevant  sql server native client driver. No change.

I even manually registered the sqlncli10.dll in the system32 folder. Still no joy.

Thanks for your input.

János_at_SAP
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Thanks,

Try to test your dbconnection and behavoir like create a new odbc connection, and test it. Set up the same as you use in the Crystal reports. The issue is with the machine or with the connection between the machine and the server, not with the crystal - this is my idea

Thanks,

János

Former Member
0 Kudos

Yes, the db connection is fine, as the main application is pointing and connecting to the same db, using the same credentials as my crystal.

There are identical xp machines, physically sitting beside the xp machine giving me this issue, that are running the same application and pointing to the same db, with no issues.

Appreciate your help Janos