Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SLT view replication

former_member221632
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi,

We have just updated our DMIS from SP4 to SP7 in order to replicate view as it is supported only from SP6. We are confused with the way how the view works. In LTRS, we created the filter settings for the view. Then tried to add the view in LTRC, but it gave the error "Table class VIEW of table /POSDW/V_AGGRTI is not supported for data provisioning" with the option 'Start Load' or 'Start Replication'. The underlying tables of the view already exists in the target schema in HANA. Then i tried the option 'Create Table or DB view'. It created the view in the hana database and then disappeared from the LTRC table overview. The view structure in HANA is not as per the filter settings, the view structure is same as the source system.

My questions are:-

1) Is Create Table or DB view is only option for adding view? whether other options like Initial Load or Replication will not work for it?

2) Why the view is not created as per the filter settings mentioned in LTRS

3) Why the view is not displayed in the Tables Overview? Is it correct behaviour?

4) What difference does it make if we create the view directly at the HANA database instead of using SLT?

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Saritha_K
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

I will clarify some of the queries that you have posted-

1. The message that you receive saying view not supported for data provisioning is a message and not an error.

2. that is why it just means to add a view and since other provisioning options are not available for the view, you will notice that the view name appears in your LTRC screen for just few seconds and then vanishes. This is normal behavior.

3. If the tables on which the view is based, undergoes some changes, then those will not be reflected in your hana schema. If you want the new changes to be reflected, then you would have to issue the VIEW command again.

I too had some queries on this functionality and got above replies from the SAP support team.

The exact question of why this view functionality has been provided is open at my end too and am waiting for SAP team's reply on this.

Hope this clarifies your queries to some extent.

Will keep you posted on the updates from them.

Regards,

Saritha K

0 Kudos

Hello,

Creating a "view" in HANA is extremely valuable in a side-car implementation...

And I have found that as of SLT 2011 SP07, that "creating" a view works beautifully through the provisioning mechanism in LTRC, and it does behave as you mention, (where the View appears for the short time the view information is being created in HANA, then disappears from LTRC... )

The view is useable almost immediately, and certainly does have a positive impact on response time to the program in my experience.

However, I also notice that the monitoring/notification (LTRC expert functions) in SP07 erroneously reports an error because the notification process does not realize the difference between a view and a table. Specifically, the "table checks" function flags a "view" as being incomplete and sends an alert each and every iteration of the check. I have logged an incident with SAP on this...

But I digress.

To "automatically" create (replicate) a view from your source system in HANA:

1) First, replicate ALL the underlying tables mentioned in the source view to HANA

2) Once all the tables required switch into replication mode in HANA, create the view as follows:

-> Start LTRC and bring up the configuration

-> From theTable Overview tab, click the "Data Provisioning" button

->In the Data Provisioning pop-up, enter the View name "ZXX_VIEW" ( as it is named/known in the source system )

-> Also select the "Create Table / DB View" radio button

-> Execute

The view configuration will be transferred from the source system to HANA where it will create the view via SQL. The view can then be seen in the HANA Studio under "Catalog" -> Configuration (actual name of your LTR configuration) -> "Views".

There you can test the view by right-clicking the view and selecting Data Preview.

Hope that helps!

Jim

Aleksandr
Participant
0 Kudos

Thanks for help. Did you find this solution in documentation?

0 Kudos

I found this through trial-and-error...

I got the impression from SAP that even though the option appears in provisioning, and it seems to work, it is not the "supported" way to create a view.

SAP's response to my incident (mentioned above) was as follows:

"Please refer to the following guide for more information.

http://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/scn/go/portal/prtroot/docs/library/uuid/00c11587-f3fe-3110-17b3-c241d5e35...

-Creating a Database View with the ABAP Workbench (page 36-38)"

former_member195940
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Jim and Everyone.

I know this is a old thread but its related to what i am working!

Scenario is replicate the data from MYSQL DB to HANA via SLT.

I have a View in a DB_1 and this View has Multiple Views attached in it. Tricky part is the Base Tables in each of the Respective views comes from a Seperate DataBase.(DB_2)

Now, in cases like above, is there a way i can replicate the data from the DB_1 instead of re-creating new views in DB_2 where the actual Base Tables resides

Thanks

Kalyan

Saritha_K
Contributor
0 Kudos

hi,

For replicating DB_1 view, it is necessary to replicate all base tables involved.

So I don't think you can directly replicate DB_1 in this case.

Regards,

Saritha

Former Member
0 Kudos

I will add my 2 cents to the View Replication

We tried this like an few months ago and eventually gave up..

You don't need the base tables replication infact you cannot ... We had a view created over mara and marc and we replicated the view then we changed the entry in mara we could see that in View but we cannot replicate the tables mara and marc independently so we have to drop the idea

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

I have with success on SPS9 used a view table for replicating data, but you must be aware that fields from header tables should never change as the trigger is only connected to the main table. The case I have used covered a line item table, /POSDW/AGGR01 and 2 header tables, /POSDW/AGGR and /POSDW/AGGRG. From the header tables I include fields that we know will never change in our setup, i.e. the aggregation task in /POSDW/AGGR.

The header fields can then be used in our views directly (avoiding a join) and in filtering in SLT.

But as the main table in /POSDW/AGGR01, the trigger only capture changes made on this table, not the other 2 tables in the view.

Former Member
0 Kudos

I tried the sulution you described:

1. Create table in source system

2. Create / replicate the table

3. Create view in source system

4. In transaction LTRC ->  "Data Provisioning" -> "Create Table / DB View"

Unfortunately SLT creates an empty table - not a view.

Source system DB2 10.5

Destination system DB2 10.5

SLT Release: DMIS 2011_1_731

SLT SP-Level: 10

0 Kudos

The above steps worked for me when replicating to HANA (SPS07) and produced a working view in the HANA replication schema under the "Views" folder.

Replication for the individual tables the view required was set up and initial load was completed beforehand.

However my source is Oracle 11G, and the target in my scenario was HANA, not DB2... your results may vary 🙂

srinivasan_vinayagam
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Basis,

Apply the note 1921120 - Correction 8 to DMIS 2011 SP5.

Check below thread similar issue.

Regards,

V Srinivasan

former_member221632
Participant
0 Kudos

Our version is DMIS 2011 SP7, so this not is not applicable. Moreover our issue is not related to table replicaiton, it's for view replication, new function supported with DMIS 2011 SP6.

former_member221632
Participant
0 Kudos

Sorry those threads are not related to our issue. May be Tobias would be able to help on this.