cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Switch or case

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi I have two tables as below ; which are input for my report .First Table is Invoice second Table is Messages

keyLanguageRegion
1EnglishUSA
2EnglishUSA

LanguageRegionSortOrderMessage
EnglishUSA1ABCDEFG IJKLMNOP ...
EnglishUSA2QRST UVW
EnglishUSA3XYZ

I want to create three custom Formula Fields(Message1,Message2,Message3) which is by SortOrder  column as a condition for a report.

In the end when I look at  SQL Query on the report, the query result should look like as below.

KeyLanguageRegionMessage1Message2Message3
1EnglishUSAABCDEFG IJKLMNOP ...QRST UVWXYZ
2EnglishUSAABCDEFG IJKLMNOP ...QRST UVWXYZ

I tried to create 'Message1' formula field as below and dropped on Report .I ended up getting duplicates.

if({Invoice.Language}='English' and {Invoice.Region}='USA' and {Messages.SortOrder}=1) then  {Messages.Message}

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Please see above null values for the SQL Query in the report which is making for duplicate reports.

Note:Invoicestring as Key

select inv.InvoiceString,inv.BusinessUnit,inv.InvoiceLanguage,--term.Message

case when term.[Order]=1  then term.Message end as Message1

from

t_rpt_invoice inv

left join  t_rpt_InvoiceTerms term on inv.BusinessUnit=term.BusinessUnit and inv.InvoiceLanguage=term.InvoiceLanguage

abhilash_kumar
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Chatrapati,

Since you already have a SQL query, why don't you report off of it using the 'Add Command' option?

It will work much faster and is always more manageable than creating formulas on the report.

-Abhilash

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Abhilash,

Thank you for the Reply..

Please find the SQL Query after inserting a command with also some other tables which are included  into  the  report.

/****************************************************************************************************************/

[SERVER]

SELECT inv.InvoiceString, inv.AccountNumber, inv.InvoiceID, currencySym.Currency, remit.RemitName,

FROM   ((([DATABASE].dbo.t_rpt_bill_messages msg

INNER JOIN [DATABASE].dbo.t_rpt_Invoice inv ON msg.InvoiceID=inv.InvoiceID)

INNER JOIN [DATABASE].dbo.t_rpt_Remittance remit ON ((inv.Currency=remit.Currency)  AND (inv.BusinessUnit=remit.BusinessUnit))

INNER JOIN [DATABASE].dbo.t_rpt_CurrencySymbols cSym ON inv.Currency=cSym.Currency

ORDER BY inv.InvoiceString

EXTERNAL JOIN inv.InvoiceID={?[SERVER]: InvoiceTerms.InvoiceID} AND inv.InvoiceString={?[SERVER]: InvoiceTerms.InvoiceString}

[SERVER]

SELECT InvoiceID,InvoiceString, [1],[2],[3] from

(

select InvoiceID,InvoiceString,[Message], [Order]

from t_rpt_invoice inv

join t_rpt_invoiceterms invterm

on inv.invoicelanguage = invterm.invoicelanguage

and inv.BusinessUnit = invterm.BusinessUnit

) x

pivot

(

max([Message])

for [Order] in ([1],[2],[3])

) p

EXTERNAL JOIN invterm.InvoiceID={?[SERVER]: inv.InvoiceID} AND invterm.InvoiceString={?[SERVER]: inv.InvoiceString}

/****************************************************************************************************************/

And it works on my Development Report and want to make sure does it also works on Sever side  also. As when I added the SQL Command with other tables I got below warnings:

"More than one datasource has been used in this report.Please make sure no SQL Expressions not added and sever side group by is performed."

Thanks in advance.

Chatrapathi Chennam

abhilash_kumar
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Never Join commands with other commands or tables.

Please consolidate the above SQL as one so that you get improved performance (Create one single SQL that has everything you need and that works when used in the Management Studio).

-Abhilash

DellSC
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I think this would be an easier way to do this:

1.  Group by Key.

2.  Suppress the Group Header and Details sections.

3.  Create your formulas for each message like the one you show for message 1.

4.  In the group footer, put your invoice data.  For the messages, put the Maximum of each of the message formulas from step 3.  (Maximum() works with strings as well as numbers!)

-Dell

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

This message was moderated.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi DJ,

Please find the T-SQL Query as shown below.

SELECT Key,Language,Region,[Message1],[Message2],[Message3] from

(

select Key,Language,Region,[Message], [SortOrder]

from invoice inv

join Messages msg

on inv.Language = msg.Language

and inv.Region = msg.Region

) x

pivot

(

max([Message])

for [Order] in ([Message1],[Message2],[Message3])

) p

.But not sure how it can be implemented on report level as to get  formulas @Messages1, @Message2 , @Message3 to retrieve messages  for each 'Key' record as I have other fields embedded.

Thanks,

Chatrapathi Chennam

Former Member
0 Kudos

This message was moderated.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi DJ,

The formula still returns Duplicates of Key record. ie For each Key  (Key) X (SortOrder) Messages return ie 3 records for each key.

Thanks,

Chatrapathi Chennam