cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Information Design Tool - Unable to see Connections and Universes in Session, unable to publish connections to repository

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello all,

We have installed BOBJ 4.1 SP2 and installed all the client tools of the same version.

Issue 1:

When I create an OLAP connection with the Information Design tool and try to publish the connection, there is no response after I click on the 'Finish' button in the Publish screen. Even 'Cancel' button does not give any response. I have to kill IDT from Task manager to come out and restart. I am seeing this on my laptop as well as on our servers where we installed IDT. But I can create a WEBI report on OLAP connection and it works fine. For some reason, publishing the connection fails. See attached Image 1

Issue 2:

The other weird issue with IDT is that when I open a session by connecting to one of our BOBJ platforms using SAP authentication, it creates the session and shows two menu items "Connections" and "Universes". But when I click on Connections or Universes to expand, they both disappear.

When I again double click on the session to see the Connections and Universes, it prompts me for the password again and then fails with different types of errors like "Unable to reconnect to CMS" or "Failed while trying to log on user" or "Failed to open a repository session on".

This is completely weird because I am able to create an OLAP connection, I am also able to create a new session, but when I try to view the Connections and Universes in that session, they just flicker and disappear. Seems very weird behavior. See attached Image 2

The user logging into IDT with SAP credentials is part of Administrators group. So no issue of authorizations there.

This is happening to all the environments (Sandbox, Dev, QA and Prod) in our Installation.

Attached are the Images for both the issues.

Any ideas/thoughts please 🙂

Thank you

Suman

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Suman,

I'm having same issue as described in Issue 2. Were you able to solve it? Can you please share any info?

Your help would be very much appreciated.

Thanks,

Louis K

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Suman,

Is this issue occuring on all the client machines or only on your laptop?

You also said that you face the same issue on the Server also.

Let us know since when are you facing this issue?

Is this issue occuring after a patch upgrade or it is a fresh install?

Do you have 32-bit or 64 bit database clients installed on the server machine?

Client machine require 32-bit and server requires 64 bit Connections to communicate with the database?

If you have client tools installed on the Server then you need 32 and 64 bit client tools installed on the Server.

Also check the license key whether it is expired or what?

Make sure all the BO servers are in running state on the Server.

Turn off firewall on the Server and the client machines and check the issue.

Regards,

Tanveer

0 Kudos

Hi,

for me this looks like a communication issue. Please try the following:

1. Assign a "Request Port" to the Services Central Management Server, Input File Repository Server and Output File Repository Server.

2. On each Firewall between your Client and the SAP BI Server open these ports (TCP) plus the Port 6400

Are you using a Proxy Server somewhere in your deployment?

Regards

-Seb.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Tanveer,

Thanks very much for taking time to give a detailed response.

Below are the answers for each of your questions and suggestions:

Is this issue occuring on all the client machines or only on your laptop?

Client Machine/Laptop are the same - Basically we have installed SAP BI Client tools on a laptop that is 32 bit Windows 7 OS. I build universes using Universe design tool, WEBI reports from this laptop. Now trying to create OLAP connections with IDT.

You also said that you face the same issue on the Server also.

Yes, we installed SAP BI client tools on the server machine too. We run into the same issue there too.

Let us know since when are you facing this issue?

From the time of installation of server and client tools.

Is this issue occuring after a patch upgrade or it is a fresh install?

It is a fresh install of BOBJ 4.1 SP2.

Do you have 32-bit or 64 bit database clients installed on the server machine?

On server machine we have 32bit and 64bit ODBC clients installed for AUD database and 64bit ODBC connections for CMS database.

Client machine require 32-bit and server requires 64 bit Connections to communicate with the database?

Do you want me to create a 32 BIT ODBC connection to CMS database on server ?

If you have client tools installed on the Server then you need 32 and 64 bit client tools installed on the Server.

Currently we have 32 bit client tools installed on Server and Client machines. Do you want me to install 64 bit client tools also?

Also check the license key whether it is expired or what?

Licence key is fine, not expired.

Make sure all the BO servers are in running state on the Server.

Yes, all BO servers are running

Thank you very much again

Suman

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Suman,

I typed the below query incorrectly.

I mean the database drivers installed on the server and not the BO Client tools.

The BO Client tools are 32-bit only.

Currently we have 32 bit client tools installed on Server and Client machines. Do you want me to install 64 bit client tools also?

As it is BI 4.1 then split the APS using system configuration wizard which can be accessed from CMC.

Make sure the BO client tools and BO server are on the same patch? If not, then install the BO client tools of the same version as the Server and test the issue.

Regards,

Tanveer

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Suman,

The client tools are only 32-bit and not 64 bit. There was a typo in my previous update.

Is there any firewall running on the client machine or on the server?

If yes, disable it and test the issue.

Regards,

Tanveer