cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Assigning material and serial number to equipment

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Is there a way we can assign an existing serial number data (already created automatically during stock upload/receipt) to an existing equipment? Besides trying in equipment master change mode in Serialization Data tab, I have even tried to assign the material and serial no. while an equipment is being created (IE01). But in both the instances, it is not being allowed (system generates an error “serial number already exists for material”).

I have:

1. Created serialization profile with
    1. MMSL as one of the procedures
    2. Automatic generation of serial numbers
    3. Proposal w/o equipment
  2. Created material with
    1. Split valuation
    2. Material type: ERSA
    3. Assigned serialization profile to material
  3. Extended material to valuation types (new/damaged/repaired)
  4. Created initial stock (501)
  5. System is automatically creating serial numbers (as expected)

Is there a way to assign the combination of material and serial number to an equipment which has already been created in the system.

If not do I then go ahead with creation of serial no.data during material assignment to equipment as is being allowed by the system?

Thanks

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

MTerence
Active Contributor

Hi Bhattacharya,

I dont think its possible to create the equipment with the serial number which is already linked with material.

You can configure in OIS2 to create equipment is required or not.

"Entry that determines whether or not an equipment master record should be created for each number when assigning serial numbers

If you choose the indicator "Default: Without Equipment", the user can later decide when assigning serial numbers in the dialog box, whether an equipment master record should still be created.

If you choose the indicator "With equipment" this is binding for the user. The indicator cannot be reset"

Regards

Terence

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Maria,

Thanks for your reply. I had guessed as much what with a number of changes going back and forth with setting up the config.

So can I presume that in the event someone wants to create serialization for equipments, the serialization procedure (of the serial number profile) must necessarily be set to "02 - always with equipment" in order to avoid a serial number / equipment data mismatch (asynchronous). And that is the only way we can create scenario for refurbishment.

The system anyway allows assignment of serial number in equipment change mode but "insists" on creating a new serial number (disallowing assignment of an existing serial number to the equipment). In cases like this the serial numbers created (automatically) would remain unutilized and may create confusion.

And that, when you are "assigning" material number and serial number to an equipment you are also "in effect" creating an assignment between the material and serial number as well.

I would be grateful for your confirmation / clarification on the above.

Many thanks.

Best regards

MTerence
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Bhattacharya,

Yes, you are correct.

You can also use IQ08 to create an equipment  with respect to serial number / material number combinations.

On assigning the serial number and material in equipment, system is trying to create a combination of serial no / material no.

Regards

Terence

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Terence,

Thanks a lot for your clarification.

One scenario why we would not create equipments automatically is that:

We receive serialized material from third party and out of the lot, one fails in inspection. So in the event of rejection we would be left with a redundant equipment (object in database without actually being present physically) with a serial number which may not be valid (having failed in quality). (We can not change serial number assignment of an equipment, can we?).

Am I correct in my contention or is there some other angles to it as well (with SAP as it is you can never be sure ). Kindly list one or two for a better perspective (on my part).

Best regards

MTerence
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Bhattacharya,

You can change the serial number for an equipment by Edit - Special Serial no. Function

Also here, you need to go for a new serial number assignment, you cannot use already created serial number.

Regards

Terence

Answers (0)