cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SAP EM Integration with Shipping line systems

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear EM Experts,

I am new to SAP EM. We are implementing SAP TM. We have a requirements to track the container based on the events occurs at shipping line system. We are capturing containers at Freight Unit & Freight Booking level in SAP TM.

What I read from some of the SAP EM documents is we can read the events from non sap system using RFC/BAPI/IDoc or PI. Can you please let me know what are the steps involved to read data using IDoc approach. Also, let me know what should be the changes at configuration level we need to make other then standard settings to capture standard and non standard events. Flow of event communication will be Shipping line system - > SAP EM - > SAP TM.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Md.Rafi

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Md.Rafi,

SAP System - You can use standard IDOC conversion approach which pretty much setting up partner profile, setting and mapping IDOC EHPOST1 and EVMSTA02 then post into SAP EM system.  Subsequent status update done through ruleset activity to update in SAP TM system. Queue update to SAP TM <-> SAP EM.

Non-SAP System - Send file in XML format to generate EHPOST1 & EVMSTA02 IDoc, Setup partner profile to use XML port and send the file to defined XML directory, call EDI_DATA_COMING,

then post into SAP EM system.  Subsequent status update done through ruleset activity to update in SAP TM system.  Queue update to SAP TM <-> SAP EM.

Regards

GGOPII

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Gopi Chandrakesan,

Can you share me how SAP SD related configurations will takes place while SAP implementation to Shipping line like (MAERSK Line).

what are the topics will be used & what kinds of enhancements, modifications and user exits will be used?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Raghu,

1. If you are not using SAP TM for Shipping line then we normally use Delivery or Shipment documents on the shipping line in SAP ECC system.

2. If MAERSK shipping line directly interacts with SAP SD Logistics Delivery or Shipment document for Container Booking Reservation, Container Booking Confirmation, Container Booking Cancellation, Container Status Inquiry etc then you can refer  IDOCS DELVRY05 or SHPMNT06 and custom according to your customer requirements. The documents invoke SAP EM BADI upon saving of delivery and shipment documents and trigger to SAP EM.

3. We need to understand MAERSK shipping line tracking what they want to implement from Road -> Sea -> Road (End to End) or only Road or only Ocean, then you can customize according to their requirement.

4. If the transaction is happening in bigger port then Container is major tracking for Maersk shipping line and tracking of Delivery and Shipment documents. If the transaction is happening in smaller ports then charter vessels are primary medium and that can hold only Pallet level (because small ports cannot transacts container in their port) then you need to track at Pallet HU level.   The tracking starts from Booking Request, Confirmation, Warehouse PGI, Gate in at Port, Shipped on Board, Deep Sea, Multiple Hub Destination etc.etc...until reaches customer doorstep.

5. Coming to SAP EM side, you need to use Delivery and Shipment (or transportation visibility or Sales order) expected event extractors to track in SAP EM system. However, if you are talking about Maersk, they have a huge system on Shipping line and implementing SAP EM solution will be fully customized solution for them. Check my article which I have written on Container Tracking in SAP Event Management.

6. Most of the customization and enhancements will fall into Delivery and Shipment BADI/FM to trigger different expected events to SAP EM.

7. Custom Solution:

a)  Z custom AOT for different event handlers (especially for Container tracking)

b) Z custom event types for Delivery and Shipment documents

c) Z custom event types for Pallet / Container HU to track different expected and unexpected events

d) Z custom EM Relevance Functions (App. Obj. Types) to tack container/pallet level

e) Z custom EM EM Relevance Functions (Event Types) to tack container/pallet level different expected and unexpected events

f) Z custom Expected Event Extractors

g) Z custom Control Parameter Extractors for container reefer or dry to check temperature and other measurements.

h) Z custom Info Parameter Extractors for statues and custom info data container specific or customer specific

i) Z custom Tracking ID Extractors, if container tracking or shipment tracking has complex tracking id's or multiple tracking id's.

j) Z custom Event Data Extractors for custom fields which Maersk used for tracking e-g Temperature controlled containers, cold storage unit measurements etc.

k) Z custom Query extractor for custom HU's/Container Numbers

l) Have to perform container check digit validation in SAP Delivery document or Shipment document and in pre-processing program (SAP EM) to check before posting into SAP EM.

m) Custom Event Handler Activities and Event Handlers in SAP EM.

n) Custom Expected Event Profiles

o) Custom System parameters for container id and pallet.

p) Custom Control and Info parameters for customized fields defined in SAP ECC system.

q) Custom rule sets (this is one of the big challenge as you need to define custom function to define most of rule sets and trigger alerts for unreported and unexpected.)

Regards

GGOPII

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Gopi Chandrakesan,

thank you for your reply.

i would like to know the below..

Eg.: One Shipping line is implementing SAP in to their business process..

1. What are the systems get involved like ERP ECC, TM, SCM (EM). and what are the functionalities of these systems?

2. In which system SD related configurations will done?

3. How the Sales process will run through these systems (end to end)?

Raghu

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Gopi Chandrakesan,

thank you for your reply.

i would like to know the below..

Eg.: One Shipping line is implementing SAP in to their business process..

1. What are the systems get involved like ERP ECC, SAP TM, SCM (EM). and what are the functionalities of these systems?

3.How Master data for "Containers" will be managed, in which system?

5. How Charges will get configured (Basic freight, handling charges, doc. charges and additional charges), in which system?

3. How the Sales process will run through these systems (end to end)?

Raghu

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Raghu,

Your questions are too broad to be answered in this forum. I am sure Gopi can provide you pointers but you are asking about your system/project design here. This forum is for SAP EM related issues and questions.

If you have any specific EM related issue or question, please post here.

Thanks,

Vishnu

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Raghu,

Vishnu is right because we can't tell all the solution here.

However, I try to give you minimal information to help you to succeed on your project.

One Shipping line is implementing SAP in to their business process..

1. What are the systems get involved like ERP ECC, SAP TM, SCM (EM). and what are the functionalities of these systems?

Model - SAP ECC -> SAP EM <-> SAP TM

or SAP ECC <-> INTRAA or Third Party 4 PL or 3 PL system <-> SAP EM

SD is core end to end process, because the tracking starts from SO, Delivery, PGI, Road Shipment, Ocean Shipment and Road Shipment.  However, the most used sub area falls in SAP LE process.

SD Configurations: You need to need understand, the client books the container in SO or in start delivery if it is from Delivery then more configuration in Delivery and Shipment (check LTL process in SAP ECC-EM and SAP EM system)

3.How Master data for "Containers" will be managed, in which system?

There are two types of containers you encounter in project:

1. SSCC container(GS1 standard) - 18 Digit format (Master data can be done with serial number)

2. Container code -SO 6346:1995 - 11 Digit format (Alpha numeric characters with external serial number with check digit solution)

You have to implement check digit logic on delivery/Shipment and also implement preprocessing to check container check digit before posting events for container tracking event handler/tracking id.

5. How Charges will get configured (Basic freight, handling charges, doc. charges and additional charges), in which system?

Freight charges either you have to handle through SAP ECC or SAP TM.  If SAP ECC road, sea and road freight will be loaded by 4 PL or 3PL and create Shipment cost document and triggering relevant pricing procedure for freight.

There are two times Freight loaded into system:

1. Container based fixed (approx) rate load for Dry and Reefer containers to charge customers.

2. Later shipment cost document can be updated when actual freight cost sent by 4PL or 3PL or extract from SAP TM.

6. How the Sales process will run through these systems (end to end)?

This is a big picture on end to end.

Process starts from Warehouse (most of the time containers sent to warehouse before 5 to 10 days before PGI not before that) -> Container loaded -> Road Shipment (Precarriage) -> Sea Shipment (Main Carriage) -> Road Shipment (OnCarriage).  Also, we have customs export and import check points if you integrate SAP GTS system.  I just gave heads up but lot of subprocesses involved in it.

Regards

GGOPI

anabel_moreno
Discoverer
0 Kudos

Dear Gopi Chandrakesan,

Your answers have been very helpful for those new to the world of MS.

Currently I have an SAP ERP system connected to another SAP TM / MS. ERP I need to send update events in SD processes (Order (VA01), Delivery (VL02N)).

I have set relevant function module that upon entering these transactions update these events. But they are doubling in SAP TM / EM and collapsing tables with unnecessary data

The connection is via RFC SAP ERP --- SAP TM / MS. One could do otherwise than this. ??
I might suggest otherwise.

Thank you very much for your help. Will be valuable.

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

0 Kudos

Hi,

I am looking for the same solution design but looking to update shipment status by information received from Shipping Lines systems or freight forwarder, can we use the same concept of Shipping Line system => SAP PI => SAP EM => ERP, is it correct chain?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ali,

It is purely depends on how the system and events architect & solutions.  You want to update from which system to which system.

I can give you standard approach...

Some events like below:

Shipping Line system -> SAP PI -> SAP ERP -> SAP EM

Some events directly update in both systems:

Shipping Line system -> SAP PI -> SAP ERP

Shipping Line system -> SAP PI -> SAP EM

Acknowledgement update:

SAP EM -> SAP ERP

Regards

GGOPII