SELECT *

FROM ztableX

INTO TABLE li_ztableX

FOR ALL ENTRIES IN li_ztableY

WHERE werks          EQ li_ ztableY -werks

AND  order           EQ li_ ztableY -order

AND  work_cen        EQ li_ ztableY -work_cen

AND  deleted         EQ space.

The key for the ztableX table has many fields.  We have one index created for werks, order
and work_cen.  I ran a trace of the program and found that the optimizer is not using the index.

There are values in all three fields. 

I checked the index via the dbacockpit--> Database Objects path and found that the index is valid and active.

I also reviewed SAP help and SCN and could not find any solutions.

We are using MAXDB  7.9.08.009

Do you have any advice on why it is not using the index?  What else should I look for?

Regards,

Steve

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

0 Kudos

Hello Steve,

you can use a database hint in the abap query to force the optimizer to use your index as documented in SAP Note 832544 - FAQ: SAP MaxDB hints

%_HINTS ADABAS 'INDEXACCESS ("ZTABLEX~YOUR_INDEX")'

Regards,

Valerio

thorsten_zielke
Contributor
0 Kudos

Steve,

if this is a SAP system, I would recommend ceating a support ticket on BC-DB-SDB for this as it would make the problem analysis easier for us. If you let me know the incident#, I could to speed up the processing time somewhat.

In any case, to proceed here, we would need the excution plan and the SQL statement, preferredly collected via R/3 transaction ST05. Plus the table definition and the index definition.

Regards,
Thorsten

PS:
Your database patch level is quite old, I would recommend patching it to a current release (although there is no indication it would change anything about your curremt SQL issue).

Former Member
0 Kudos

Incident number 16069 has been created.  Thanks for your support Thorsten.

Regards,

Steve