cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Notifications icon for "Communications" stream not updating (again)

Steffi_Warnecke
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello there,

it looks like this bug is back again: Notifications icon in "Activity/Communications/Actions" bar not updating ( SCNSBS-1511)

I have read the currently only entry in my communications stream (several times now) and the green icon disappears correctly, but when I go to another SCN page, it's back again and so is the unread status of that entry.

It's a part of the "SCN Known Issues List" and there it is noted as "open", but I didn't have this problem like two hours ago.

Regards,

Steffi.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

oliver
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi Steffi,

we have identified an issue with our firewall rules which surfaced due to the migration of SAP ID Service to a different infrastructure. An blocking API call into IDS resulted in items getting stuck in the event queue.

The firewall issue has been resolved in the last hour, and personally I see the notification and read status updating properly now.

Please let me know if it looks better now on your side too.

Thanks,

Oliver

former_member183424
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Yes. Its quite fine for me now. The notification goes immediately when I press it as read and also I can see the activity screen is also running well.

Lets wait for others.

former_member186338
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Unfortunately it's still not working for me...

Vadim

Steffi_Warnecke
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Looks good for me this far.

@ Maybe it's a caching issue in your case?

former_member186338
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

No, same as in

Only after reply the notification disappears!

oliver
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi Vadim, try logging out and back in again. This should move you to another app server. We still see the issue on one app server, where there is a big amount of queued up notification which need to be processed.

former_member186338
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Logged out, logged in, browser - restarted Same issue!

oliver
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Just give it some time. The last node needs to process its event queue which will take a couple of hours.

former_member186338
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Still missing points for the answer marked correct at

B.R. Vadim

oliver
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

In case this doesn't resolve by itself, I would suggest to have take care of that manually.

former_member186338
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Oliver,

Looks like it will not resolve by itself! And I can imaging that during some period of time number of event like missing history update happened to a number of users...

B.R. Vadim

former_member182378
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Yes Vadim! some points have not been added to total.

But for me it is less than (probably...can not say for sure) 10, so it does not matter to me

TW

former_member186338
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

It's also not an issue for me, but it's the serious question about data integrity...

Vadim

caroleighdeneen
Community Administrator
Community Administrator
0 Kudos

Hi TW, if you send me the details of activities that were not tracked, I will assign the points manually.

nitin_jinagal
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Seems this is fixed now. I can see my notification tab working fine

ntn

Answers (21)

Answers (21)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Is the problem back?

former_member186338
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Now it's working OK!

audreystevenson
Community Manager
Community Manager
0 Kudos

Hi Everyone,

Please see these two posts by Oliver and myself regarding the loss of events and attendant points from this situation.

Oliver's blog: 1 + 1 = less than you expected

My discussion post: Recent Issue with SCN Not Recording Point Gains and Losses

--Audrey

Former Member
0 Kudos

It is happening again. A reply that I posted to a discussion thread 1 hour 10 minutes ago is yet to appear in /communications. I did see it in /activity right after posting.

Steffi_Warnecke
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Let's call  to the rescue.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Still not there. This might actually be a new bug. I can see the original posting in /communications from 16 hours ago, it's not supposed to be there but it might have something to do with my reply not showing up there.

Matt_Fraser
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Yesterday I was seeing various weirdnesses like comments on posts not showing up until I posted my own comment (at which point I would realize that I'm duplicating something someone else already said, something I try to avoid), or the counter of number of comments on the Activity overview saying things like "0 comments (3 new)," etc. A couple days ago the counter of likes on a post wouldn't increment. Probably all related.

Steffi_Warnecke
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Ah yes, I noticed that, too. But I think, that is what Steve informed the team about yesterday here:

Maybe we should use that thread for the new issue as follow-up thread, since it seems to be slightly different trouble now and Steve already started one.

@Samuli: Looks like it takes roughly two hours for the Communication stream to update, because I was led by your comment here and it showed up around 9 pm in my stream.

Could it be user-related? Your update took some hours to show up in Communications, but show up right away.

Matt_Fraser
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Yes, that's right. I added my comments to Steve's post yesterday.

former_member186338
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

It's back again!

Notification is not disappearing

Vadim

P.S. Earlier today I remember number of times disconnect from SDN...

former_member186338
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Still one notification is not disappearing:

Another one (latest) disappeared after reading the content.

Vadim

Former Member
0 Kudos

And the problem seems to be back again

Steffi_Warnecke
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hmm, not for me. Maybe one of the nodes is acting up again?

cc:

Former Member
0 Kudos

Or ran his wiki points adjustment script for Q4/2014?  

Cheers,

Julius

Lukas_Weigelt
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

"My sarcasm meter is off the charts!"

Former Member
0 Kudos

You laugh...?  Lets wait for Moshe 😉

Former Member
0 Kudos

Maybe. The delay isn't as long as it was a few days ago, but I currently have one notification from a few minutes ago (this thread, in fact!) that won't go away.

JL23
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

SCN works well for me today.

Former Member
0 Kudos

And back to normal. Just a temporary blip, I guess. Ignore me...

Former Member
0 Kudos

Lucky you, Jurgen. Overnight, somewhere between SAP ID Service and SCN I got completely hosed up; SCN kept wanting to create a new account for me and would not let me log in with the account I have been using. I had to delete my SAP Certificate to be able to log in.

Gretchen

JL23
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

this must have been in those 3 hours where I was away from my desktop.

Matt_Fraser
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I always try to convince myself that there really is no hidden message when that happens to me at work. They aren't trying to tell me something when my account is locked...

oliver
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

That was a different issue, some network component had a glitch.

moshenaveh
Community Manager
Community Manager
0 Kudos

Oh, you remind of forgotten treasures.

Lukas_Weigelt
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

From my side, I can confirm that the activity feed is working again (I logged out and cleared the cache, though)

EDIT: and now it's broken again... ಠ_ಠ

Message was edited by: Lukas Weigelt

former_member182378
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

In addition to Communication, there seems to be a delay in the "changing" (updating) of points.

Excuse me if this is covered in a different thread.

TW

Steffi_Warnecke
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

This seems to be a good thread to sort of collect that, since I recon it all comes down to the same underlying problem.

nitin_jinagal
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Yes. This is happening with me as well. I have done everything from closing the tab to logging out, but notification tab doesn't update. So I left it

Besides, I'm doubtful if my DM are going anyway to the receiver. I can't see them either !!

ntn

Former Member
0 Kudos

I suspect this happens every year after the emergency points adjustment programs from the previous year run again to change some totals in the database to better reflect the KPIs. But JIVE subsequently changes the data model once a year as well and then the applications are buggered for the users...

Cheers,

Julius

Former Member
0 Kudos

I checked with IT and this is handled on the current sprint so in about a week or so this will be resolved.

JL23
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Adi Krysler

I hope you have seen the discussion in the moderator forum:

there is more broken since yesterday evening than mentioned in this discussion.

Matt_Fraser
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Yep. I just noticed that 'History' is not updating (nor points, for that matter). I saw that someone marked one of my answers as 'Helpful' over the weekend, but that isn't in my history at all. And, the Communications issue that seemed to be resolved for me is now broken again, just as you are all describing.

Former Member
0 Kudos

I have seen it and this will also be taken care of. Thank you.

former_member195402
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Steffi,

it still doesn't work for me today, it's annoying.

Regards,

Klaus

former_member186338
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Same for me.

Vadim

Steffi_Warnecke
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Please see Adi's reply: they are working on the issue. Have some patience, people.

Former Member
0 Kudos

I've reopened the ticket.

https://issues.wdf.sap.corp/browse/SCNSBS-1511

and I will keep you updated.

Matt_Fraser
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

It has been consistently better for me now for two days (Friday and Saturday), while others are still reporting problems, so it may be a "rolling" fix.

Steffi_Warnecke
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

That's why I'm waiting for the official "Okay, we fixed it now." from the team before closing this thread. ^^

former_member183424
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

All is well now... Working smoothly for all activities along with notification tab..

JL23
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

It is Saturday, no traffic, that is not an evident for the better.  It was all the bad days better in the evening when all Indians were in bed.

former_member186338
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Unfortunately no!

Click on Communication with Green notification

Click on Item on the left

Green notification disappears

Return to forum - same green notification back.

Vadim

former_member183424
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

But still I'll say it is fine for me. I can check with this notification.. Green signal has gone once I clicked and read the message.

former_member186338
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Right now it's working!

Let's see tomorrow

Vadim

former_member183424
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

That's it.. But not tomorrow, we should wait till Monday.

Matt_Fraser
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Seems to be working normally now, so hopefully whatever was the problem has stabilized.

Lukas_Weigelt
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

no, it has not -_-

Former Member
0 Kudos

I'm with Lukas - still broken for me...

Steve.

oliver
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Thanks for bringing this up Steffi. We weren't aware and are looking into it. Will keep you posted.

former_member186338
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

The issue is very annoying!

Vadim

audreystevenson
Community Manager
Community Manager
0 Kudos

, : do we need to re-open the ticket for this?

--Audrey

Matt_Fraser
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Yep, still broken. The replies do seem to be working, but you may have to drill into the original thread to actually see them.

Steffi_Warnecke
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hmmm, looks like Samuli hit it on the head: I think the whole update thing is delayed at the moment, so it takes a lot of time for the streams to update.

Matt_Fraser
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

And it's still happening intermittently. I just had it occur, plus it would hang when I attempted to reply to something via the Communications stream.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Yes, the notification count is still sticky for me this morning too. But I did send this reply from the Communications page...

Steve.    

Lukas_Weigelt
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Same here. Also some of my workaround-browsers (FF 17 and Chromium Portable v. 29) can't log in on SCN anymore. So I now have a third workaround browser Chromium Portable v. 39. Let's see how long it works this time...

Former Member
0 Kudos

I see the same problem. Last evening SSO broke for IE10 too, Chrome still works. By breaking I mean I get the first certificate popup, the second one and then it redirects to the Jive SSO error screen.

Lukas_Weigelt
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Exactly. Except, instead of actually being redirected to an error page, for me it freezes with a lightbox, i.e. the entire webpage becomes insensitive but no popup is opened (which I assume would actually happen, hence the lightbox).

Former Member
0 Kudos

It's just not the notification icon, the entire activity feed is broken. I had already forgotten how annoying that is.

former_member183424
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I am confirming it from my side.. Same was happening to me also.

But seems from last 5 minutes, it is resolving automatically.

No.. It is not resolving.. The same notification is coming again in communication tab after mark it as read.

Message was edited by: DP

Former Member
0 Kudos

Me too, although intermittently.

Earlier this morning I had 4 unread items for a while, despite reading them several times. Now they've gone away and I have two new persistent unread items. Most puzzling...

Steve.