cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Call ABAP function modules from HANA

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello SCN folks,

We have a requirement where we have to call ABAP functions in ERP from HANA.

Requirement : I want to call an ABAP function module from HANA and get back the results back to HANA.

We have a function module in ABAP which has intensive calculations and we would like to call this from HANA system. I did look through the form and found out that Calling an ABAP function module directly from HANA stored procedures is not possible.

I also did look through this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fWirvj9l7eY video from which shows the possibility to

1) Create a BSP application to receive some parametres and run the ABAP function module(I believe this is correct. Never worked with ABAP before)

2) Create an XJSX outbout connectivity(.xshttpdest) and call the BSP application and get back the results.

I would like to know if my understanding is correct? If not kindly guide/correct me wherever necessary.

Also I would like to know if there are any possibilities to achieve the same.

note: We have an ERP system and a separate HANA system. Currently we have SLT configured to replicate data from ERP to HANA system.

Any feedback would be highly appreciated.

Thanks

Sangamesh

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

sreehari_vpillai
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Sangamesh,

Your understanding is correct .

Requirement : I want to call an ABAP function module from HANA and get back the results back to HANA.

This is not possible, as the function module executes in application layer and you have the control only in HANA context . As you have already read from multiple blogs, the only donut here is to consume a web service/odata/bsp which calls the function module from the abap layer and the same is consumed from HANA XS platform . Why don't we reverse the thought process ? Here, you are trying to drive the business logic from HANA DB . Instead, you drive it from ABAP. You can write database procedures for data intensive logics, and consume from ABAP layer . Ultimately, ABAP is your consumer of Database pushed logics.

Sree

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello ,

Thanks for your response.

Why don't we reverse the thought process ? Here, you are trying to drive the business logic from HANA DB . Instead, you drive it from ABAP. You can write database procedures for data intensive logics, and consume from ABAP layer . Ultimately, ABAP is your consumer of Database pushed logics.

Well, we do not have ERP on HANA. We have two separate systems. We are planning to implement all the business logic within HANA, except this one ABAP function module which is too complicated and time consuming to be implemented at this point of time. So we have to drive the required business logic from ABAP layer.

Sorry if I am wrong. Maybe can you please put the above statement in lame words?

Thanks and Regards

Sangamesh

sreehari_vpillai
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Having a side car HANA database doesn't stop you to consume its services from the abap layer . Please have a look into the beautiful log by Thomas below.

http://scn.sap.com/community/hana-in-memory/blog/2012/04/11/test

If you do not want to establish connection as described above, you do not have any choice other than to consumes exposed web services from ECC.

Sree

Answers (0)