Application Development Discussions
Join the discussions or start your own on all things application development, including tools and APIs, programming models, and keeping your skills sharp.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SAP GUI phasing out?

krishg
Active Participant
0 Kudos

We had a requirement for Chinese Golden tax and were advised by SAP to activate the NWBC solution which will work only with the NWBC gui... we were told that the old GUI solution will not support some of the new requirements and all new development is done only with the NWBC solution.

Does this mean that SAP is looking to phase out the "old" GUI?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Krish,

SAPGUI isn't going to disappear overnight and indeed many older SAP screens built on that technology will be used for many years to come. Personally I can't see SAPGUI being phased out until we move past R/3 to SAP R/4 or whatever it will be called (maybe HCP)....

However the Dynpro technology that is used by the SAPGUI is old UI technology and many newer SAP solutions use Web based technologies such as Web Dynpro and SAPUI5, NWBC can display both SAPGUI (old), Web Dynpro (Newer) and SAPUI5 (Newest) in a single place. That is probably why SAP has advised you to use NWBC, so you can take full advantage of these new UI technologies.

I hope that makes things a bit clearer for you.

Simon

3 REPLIES 3

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Krish,

SAPGUI isn't going to disappear overnight and indeed many older SAP screens built on that technology will be used for many years to come. Personally I can't see SAPGUI being phased out until we move past R/3 to SAP R/4 or whatever it will be called (maybe HCP)....

However the Dynpro technology that is used by the SAPGUI is old UI technology and many newer SAP solutions use Web based technologies such as Web Dynpro and SAPUI5, NWBC can display both SAPGUI (old), Web Dynpro (Newer) and SAPUI5 (Newest) in a single place. That is probably why SAP has advised you to use NWBC, so you can take full advantage of these new UI technologies.

I hope that makes things a bit clearer for you.

Simon

0 Kudos

Simon,

Thanks for the reply... So, it is very likely any new solution that will be developed by SAP will not be supported on the old GUI UI and unless we migrate to the NWBC client, we will miss out on all new functionalities that will be developed?

Krish

0 Kudos

Hi Krish, basically yes. You can still use SAPGUI for older solutions and the nice bit about NWBC is that you can use SAPGUI and New Solutions along side each other. NWBC actually uses SAPGUI under the covers to display older stuff and a web browser (Internet Explorer) to display the new stuff.

HTh,

Simon