cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Migrate SQL Server database to SAP Hana

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I am unable to see the option Database --> Apply Model Changes to HANA repository as described in the documentation.

If a plug in needs to be enabled, then how to go about doing that?

Thanks

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member185199
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Sankalp

first:

have you selected Hana as your targetdb for your model?

second:

have you open a diagram of the model?

PD shows most of its MenueItems only in the right Context.

There is also A bug in the Diagrammhandling when you use close all but this then the Menues are shown like no diagram is open.

Then you need to close the one Open diagram and open it again.

If all what i discribed here is not your situation then please provide a screenshot.

hth

dj

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I have reverse engineered a SQL Server database to generate the physical data model of the database. Now, I intend to generate the SAP HANA database. In the documentation, it is mentioned that I should go to the toolbar: Database --> Apply model changed to HANA repository and it should open up the Hana wizard. However, I dont see that option at all. Instead, I see Database --> Apply model changes to Database.

Screenshot below:

c_baker
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos

DId you enable the HANA Add-in from the Tools->General Options dialog?

Also, remember that to work with the HANA repository, you must have a cube defined in the model.  If you do not, then first generate and apply the DDL as normal. After that you can use the HANA repository and an archive model Once you have defined an OLAP cube.

Chris

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Yes the SAP Hana Add in is enabled in Tools --> General Options.

I dont have cubes defined in my SQL Server database. This is just my transactional database which I have reverse engineered and want to migrate it to SAP HANA, so that I can run my existing application using SAP HANA.

Thanks in advance.

marc_ledier
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi,

Did you change target database from SQL Server to SAP HANA ?

After your reverse, the current DBMS is MS SQL Server. In order to benefit from HANA features, you need (in addition of add-in registering) to change DBMS (Database > Change current DBMS) and select SAP HANA from the list.

Then you should have the menu you expect.

In an other hand, as mentionned by Chris, you cannot use the HANA repository if you did not create the PD facts and dimensions you want to work with.

Regards,

Marc

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks-that helped me make some progress. Now, I have the schema migrated and am trying to merge the data into SAP Hana. However, some time, it is giving me an error as below.

I tried running the process twice and both times it gave the same error at the same spot. What might be going wrong?

c_baker
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos

You are attempting to generate the tables to schema 'dbo'.

Remove 'dbo' as the owner of the tables or rename it to the correct schema for your connection.

By default, your tables will be generated into the schema owned by your connection, but if you have to correct rights for your login, then you can generate tables in another schema.

In this case, you are attempting to create the schema 'dbo' with insufficient rights.

I would not suggest using 'dbo' but placing your tables in the correct HANA schema.

Chris

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Chris,

Thanks for your reply!

I created a schema called MIHANA owned by SYSTEM user in Hana and changed the physical model to reflect the same. On trying to merging into Hana, I got the same error again-screenshot below:

Does it have anything to do with the version of the jdbc dlls that come with PowerDesigner?

Appreciate the help.

c_baker
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos

Even if you are connecting as SYSTEM (not advised - you should be defining a new user and connect to HANA as that user - it will automatically have its own schema),

You are still trying to create the schema, according to your errors.

Try turning off the option to generate the schema by going to 'Database/Generate Database...', 'Options' tab, and only select the tables and views, and then 'Apply', 'Cancel'.

They try again.

Understand that if you do not have any multidimensional objects defined in a package in your model as well, you will still fail as the Repository connection to HANA will be trying to update existing objects via any packaged multidimensional objects defined using current tables in a HANA schema, or using the multidimensional objects in your model.  The 'Export Wizard' is still an 'Apply changes' not 'Generate' function.

If you are only trying to create tables initially, then generate the DDL and apply it using the HDBODBC driver (as with normal DDL) or using the hdbisql tool or HANA Studio SQL Console connection.

Even then, until you define a multidimensional object in a package, or one is defined in HANA using some of the tables in your model, you will not be able to use the connection to the HANA repository to change a model.

Chris

c_baker
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos

This was actually the content of my RDP275 workshop at TechEd 2013 in Las Vegas.

Chris (c.baker@sap.com)

Answers (0)