cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TREX: indexing of file content doesn't work in NW 7.3 and NW 7.4

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I have some external link objects in the KM which point to files (HTML, JSP, media files) in a web application on the portal server.

I've created an index which uses the KM folder with the external link objects as datasource. And I've added the parameter "indexContentOfExternalLink = true" to my index to also index the content of the target files.

Indexing of the external link objects works fine. There are no errors. And portal search also returns the external link objects when searching for their names for example. But when I try to search for any content in the target files the portal search doesn't return any results.

The same thing is working fine on a NW 7.0 portal. I was using the same KM folder and KM objects, the same target files, the same TREX, the same index configuration. And the portal search returns some results when searching for content of the target files.

We had the same problem back in 2005:

So does anybody know if there are problems with indexing content of target objects of external link objects in the current SP stacks of NW 7.3 and NW 7.4?

Or does anybody have an idea what else could be wrong?

Any help is appreciated.

Best regards,

Robert

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

I had a call with the SAP Helpdesk today and got a new SAP note which is dealing with this problem: http://service.sap.com/sap/support/notes/2138885. Currently there isn't a fix available in the SAP note but I guess the note will be updated when the coding error is solved.

stefan_mahnke
Participant
0 Kudos

I got a reference to the same note in my OSS news. The engineer expected it to be released by the end of the week.

former_member217429
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Robert,

Do you use the same TREX instance as with NW 7.0? Did you change the proxy settings in the
TREXPreprocessor.ini?
Do you have any error messages in the TREXPreprocessor trace related to the indexing of external documents ?

Best regards,
Mikhail

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Mikhail,

I use the same TREX server as with NW 7.0. I've just added the property "nameserver.address" in the service properties of the NW 7.4 TREX portal service.

I don't need any proxy settings in the TREXPreprocessor.ini. At least not in case of NW 7.0.

I did another test on NW 7.0. All the files were indexed and I was able to search for file contents. However, I got some errors in the TREXPreprocessor trace. Something like "Got invalid/incomplete Header" and "Processing Document with key xxx failed, returning PREPROCESSOR_ACTIVITY_ERROR (Code 8005)". But indexing seems to work properly.

I did the same test on NW 7.4. Again there are no errors during indexing but I'm not able to search for any content. And I didn't get any messages at all in the TREXPreprocessor trace or in any other trace file. And there are no error messages in the NW 7.4 portal logs. So does this look like indexing hasn't been done at all? Are there any other special trace files on the portal server or the TREX server where I might find some errors?

Thanks in advance,

Robert

former_member217429
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Robert,
I think it's necessary to activate additional trace level in KM and TREX to investigate this issue. Is it possible for you to open an OSS incident for this?

Thanks and best regards,
Mikhail

stefan_mahnke
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Robert,

we have the same problem. Did you find a solution?

Regards

Stefan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Stefan,

as we usually talk to each other via the FirstSpirit Helpdesk I guess you have exactly the same problem with the business package and indexing content pages.

Unfortunately I don't have a solution yet. I opened an OSS note two weeks ago but haven't got any response yet.

Best regards,

Robert

Former Member
0 Kudos

Guys, Im in heavy doubt they will give you support on indexing of 3rd party CMS content, I hope I got you right. 8005 is in fact a time out error, but could also occur due missing rights of the index server resp TREX crawler. Have you checked this? Does the index for other stuff looks good, means all other content is getting indexing well? If the error is FirstSpirit specific, I would ask them

Mikhail gave you already the right clue imho: I also would start analyzing on TREX site.

cheers

stefan_mahnke
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Robert,

yes you are right with the helpdesk connection !

Any news from OSS yet?

The content is also missing if I create an external link manually to some Web Sites

and there are absolutely no log messages indicating any error.

Regards

Stefan

stefan_mahnke
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi,

I just got a fix which solved the problem. As it is only a dev fix I hope there will be an official one released soon.

Regards

Stefan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Stefan,

nice to know. Where did you get that fix from?

I'm still in contact with SAP helpdesk. They are testing on our servers right now. I'll keep you informed as soon as I know more.

Best regards,

Robert

stefan_mahnke
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Robert,

I got it from OSS. There will be a fix available probably by the end of the week. I will send you the release notes when available.

Regards

Stefan