cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup with IBM BRMS

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I have installed an ERP 6.07 on iSeries (V7R1 - Netweaver 740) and have created a BRMS control group for backups.

I´m scheduling successful backups but, when I check Backup Overview in DBACOCKPIT can´t see nothing (Database no complete backup available), and nothing in Database Backup History tab.

I have activated the Database Performance Monitor, but I think it doesn´t collect backup info ¿right?

Any idea why is this happening? Where is the DBACOCKPIT checking backups info/logs?

Thanks in advance.

Greetings.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

0 Kudos

Hi Pablo.

I have the same issue with backups. I make backups on reserve server and have no update of last save

on production server.

The data about backups is came from SAP Database Performance Collector for IBM i.

It uses library SAPDB4M by default. In this library is table DBOBJECTS where stored data

about last save of object.

Please refer to note:

1622665 - IBM i: SAP Database Performance Collector

With instruction in this note you can activate SAP Database Performance Collector for IBM i.

0 Kudos

Hi Alexey,

the backup reporting issue is independent from using the method of the data collection. In any case, the DBACockpit function "Backup Overview" (or transaction DB12) is looking at the file description of each table in the database schema. You can see that information with the operating system command DSPFD for the files in your database library under "Last save date/time". If that timestamp is the same for all objects in the database library (R3<sid>DATA), the backup is considered "complete".

When you replicate your database library to a backup server and only save the object on the backup server, the "Last save date/time" information on the primary server is never updated, so DBACockpit function "Backup Overview" and DB12 don't know anything about the backups of the copy of the database library. Today, your only option is to check BRMS backup logs or any other log information of your backup tool. We are thinking about integrating those logs into the DBACockpit function "Backup Overview", but so far we have not come up with a good solution for that setup.

Kind regards,

Christian Bartels.

0 Kudos

Hi Christian.

May be i have not understand it correctly, but in report RSDB4090 i see that table DB4TABLE_STAT is filled with sql that used SAPDB4M library as source. Then DB4TABLE_STAT is used for transaction DB12.

May be i'm wrong.

0 Kudos

Hi Alexey,

you are right, transaction DB12 (or DBACockpit function "Backup Overview") are reading table DB4TABLE_STAT to find the last save date and time for all tables.

There is a difference, how table DB4TABLE_STAT is filled with that information: If you are using the SAP Database Performance Collector for IBM i and set profile parameter as4/dbmon/central_collector = 1, the processes in subsystem QUSRWRK will fill table SAPDB3M/DBOBJECTS with backup information, and the SAP job RSDB4090 is copying the data from table SAPDB4M/DBOBJECTS into table R3<sid>DATA/DB4TABLE_STAT. If as4/dbmon/central_collector is not set or set to 0, the SAP job RSDB4090 will call APIs to fill table R3<sid>DATA/DB4TABLE_STAT directly.

In both cases, the code will look at the save date/time information in the file descriptions of the files in the database library. If the database library is replicated to a remote copy and only the remote copy is backed up, the original file descriptions do not contain the save date/time information, so DB12 cannot display the data.

Kind regards,

Christian Bartels.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

The day after I turned on the Database Performance Monitor and schedule job RSDB4UPD I could see backups in DB12.

My doubt when I wrote the thread was whether the backup group must have some special nomenclature, but is not necessary as the backup save libraries DATA and JRN.

Thank you.

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Sriram2009
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Pablo

Could you refer the SAP Note for Backup using the BRMS

825473 - IBM i: Online backup from V5R3M0

BR

SS

christoph_ostrop
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

in BRMS you can check with DSPLOGBRM

in SAP use DB12 or in EarlyWatch-Report to see complete backup successfully

michael_ruth3
Contributor
0 Kudos

Either check the BRMS log after the backup or use DB12 and look at Database Backup History.