cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How is SAP ASE doing?

Former Member
0 Kudos

In 2011, SAP announced it would become the No. 2 database player by 2015.

How is everything going with ASE so far?

Its road-map seems promising, is it gaining market share?

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Is SAP ASE part of the S/4Hana? I heard SAP use ASE to capture user transactions and HANA for Analytics.

former_member207654
Participant
0 Kudos

HANA is able to run transactions and analytics on a single, in-memory column store, Hank.   It does not require a separate transactional RDBMS at all.    S4 has been designed with this kind of architecture in mind, so, only runs on HANA, on-premise, or in the cloud.

For the current generation of Suite applications, customers typically mix and match ASE and HANA depending on their requirements or landscapes.   

Former Member
0 Kudos

Wonderful, we cannot even find out SAP ASE related stuff on SAP.com.

former_member207654
Participant
0 Kudos

Have to agree that the ASE page is light on product related content.   It is a bit of a methodology issue, I think - we typically have a landing page on SAP.com, and then publish content into the communities.    

Will spend some time looking at the content on the SCN community and make sure we've done a good job of making what we have available.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Sybase.com is no longer accessible to the public; with the new look of SAP.com, we do not see any info pertaining to SAP ASE.

former_member207654
Participant
0 Kudos

Thanks for the feedback, Hank.    As I said, will spend some time on this.

former_member184682
Participant
0 Kudos

I beleive its because SAP aggressively is marketing to sell HANA first and make it 'the norm' for SAP applications round the globe and once they are satisfied, they come back to sell the rest of the customers (assuming its mostly mid sized to small based ) ASE.  hence though i do hear that ASE is super in terms of TCO reduction, the sdn and other forums dont have much case studies talking about the same

Former Member
0 Kudos

> I beleive its because SAP aggressively is marketing to sell HANA first and make it 'the norm' for SAP

> applications round the globe

Are you saying that HANA will be SAP's prefered technology

> and once they are satisfied, they come back to sell the rest of the customers

and SAP aims to move ASE customers to HANA ?

With HANA having a different dialect of SQL to ASE, moving to HANA would be expensive and almost impossible - obviously most customers would move to something more similar to ASE.

> assuming its mostly mid sized to small based

What's the definition of small - mid-sized these days ?

Why is HANA better for small-mid sized.?

former_member184682
Participant
0 Kudos

I am from an SAP ERP background so my comments are very specific to that use case. Looking at your response, it appears you want to know about Sybase as a 'database' and not about as a database-for-SAP-ERP. So perhaps i am not the best person to answer your questions

former_member207654
Participant
0 Kudos

Hello Hank

The latest Gartner research (G00261660) into this "Operational RDBMS" area indicates that SAP have improved both their vision and ability to execute, moving it ahead of IBM on both dimensions (compared to previous quadrants)

From an SAP ASE perspective, I think that the roadmap today is probably the best I've seen.    The in-memory capabilities will further increase the strength ASE has in transaction processing, which is the focus for the offering - mission critical, high volume, low latency transaction processing applications.  

Where things get even more interesting, is the work around HANA integration, and new work that is being undertaken to look at columnar technology for ASE.     This will add a whole new set of capabilities for ASE based applications - like geospatial analytics, graph engine, time series, or just plain old report acceleration.

Towards June, we expect to release a range of new capabilities that I'm sure customers and users of the products will love to get their hands on.     The Beta Program is well on its way for the Corona release.

Things certainly are promising.   From a market share perspective, analysts track vendor marketshare, not necessarily product level - here, SAP is growing rapidly, with a range of specialized data processing engines.

ASE specifically is enjoying really good momentum, with significant growth in traditional SAP accounts, as an additional database offering for on-premise SAP applications - which is a new market for the offering, outside of it's traditional strongholds in Financial Services, Public Sector, Telco and Healthcare.

If you're a Gartner, Forrester or IDC client, or have access to the latest data from these organisations, I would encourage you to read through these.

Alternatively, reach out to your local SAP office, or account manager, and set up a briefing, so we can spend some time with you!

Rudi Leibbrandt.

Former Member
0 Kudos

> From an SAP ASE perspective, I think that the roadmap today is probably the best I've seen.

Is there a document available on the roadmap for ASE ?

We're more interested in developer features - ie improvements to T-SQL, PIVOT tables, exception handling, better string and date functions.

> Where things get even more interesting, is the work around HANA integration

This sounds interesting ? How will HANA and ASE integrate ? We started to look at HANA but after finding it has a different dialect of SQL we stopped.

> This will add a whole new set of capabilities for ASE based applications - like geospatial analytics, graph engine, time series, or just plain old report acceleration.

Sounds interesting - we'd be interested in time series - very important to us.

Any documents ?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Mike,

As all this is get finalized and worked on it change every week the best way maybe is to find out is maybe to join the beta program.

http://scn.sap.com/community/ase-custom-applications/blog/2015/01/13/call-for-participation-in-the-s...

Niclas

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks I saw that last week but unfortunately I'm not going to be able to get involved.

We wouldn't have time to do this.

• You will need to generate a testplan to test the features of your interest

Just a thought, but I'd expect there are many people like us who can't afford to get involved in a full program, but probably have features that they need/want. It might be useful to survey them as well.

former_member188958
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Have you seen the announcement for the survey on ASE new features on this space's home page? 2014-0952 SAP ASE Survey � General

Former Member
0 Kudos

> Have you seen the announcement for the survey on ASE new features on this space's home page? 2014-0952 SAP ASE Survey � General

I did and I've completed it - but am sure there are more customers than use this forum.

Also the "Other" columns is rather small (as mentioned here http://scn.sap.com/thread/3679792).

We have a longer list than we could type in that box.

I could add it here if you'd like.

Former Member
0 Kudos

> We started to look at HANA but after finding it has a different dialect of SQL we stopped.

HANA is a great product for Analytics, however it is not a good choice for OLTP applications due to the nature of the delta merge.

Former Member
0 Kudos

We're both OLTP and Analytics - I work in Financial sector and all the system I've worked are a mix of both OLTP and Analytics. Lots of the applications in the Financial sector are like this - which makes our requirements quite tough.

18 years ago I initiated a proof of concept and worked with Sybase on porting the application I was working on to IQ. It only took 2 weeks to port as the dialect of IQ isn't that much different from ASE.

There were many advantages to it but at the time it wasn't enough of an advantage to warrant a mixed environment. I was hoping of doing the same with HANA.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Rudy,

I couldn't agree with you more on the GMQ for Operational.  I have been working with ASE for 20 years and I have never seen such positive support from the analysts community as now.  The work being done around SAP Smart Data Access and the HANA ASE Accelerator puts SAP in a very exclusive position in the market place for non SAP application.  Maybe by the end of 2015, SAP will be #2 as they set out to achieve. 

Regards,

Joseph Shaffner | Vice President, SAP Solutions | Bradmark Technologies, Inc

Former Member
0 Kudos

This link is active no more...could someone reactivate it?

former_member188958
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

The link to the survey?  Product management has closed the survey, I'm not able to restore the link.

Former Member
0 Kudos

What were they ranked in 2011 ?

Former Member