cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Send Email via "Printing" instead of printing a label

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

I was wondering, whether it is possible to use the email-sending functionality of a Printer.

I would like to use the Printing-Activity, but instead of acutally printing a Label or document, send an email via this Printer.

Does anybody know, whether this works?

And if yes - could you please give me any clue, how to configure this?

best regards

Yvonne

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

sergiy_katerinich
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Yvonne,

Your question sounds as if you want to utilize a standard mechanism of printing in SAP ME but need to set up the physical printer or print server to send the document as email instead of printing it on a paper. If so, I guess such question should be addressed to a vendor of the printer. If you use a multifunctional copy system rather than a simple printer, I would believe it might be configured in such way.

If you want to change a printing process of SAP ME so that the output is an email instead of a document sent to a physical printer, then you really need a customization. The problem is that the current implementation of email notifications in SAP ME allows a user to send email at triggering a message. Configurable (not hard-coded into a logic of specific features like Production Interface or SPC) messages can be fired from Real-Time Warnings, from NC Log and from Message Board. Once your process is not related to the first 2 features, only manual Create Message (of FREE_FORM messages type) from Message Board ca nbe used. If you happen to embed this manual Create Message in your process, then you can turn on the system rule to enable saving PDF files to the file system and change FREE_FORM message type to mention this location of the files and assign to specific email addressees.

If you cannot afford to use Create Message plugin in manual mode, then you can discuss with SAP ME Consulting a possibility of enhancement to implement a hookable version of Create Message functionality. This looks like a good future enhancement, in fact.

Regards,

Sergiy

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Sergiy

Thanks for the answer - it would be great, if this could become a standard-functionality of MES...

But I will have to wait.

KR

Yvonne

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

former_member182330
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Yvonne,

From the description it seems like your ultimate goal is to send an email without actually printing anything to a printer. If so, why would you want to use printing functionality at all? If there's nothing very specific in the email that cannot be achieved without ME doc generation framework - then you could trigger some custom MII transaction that would send an email to intended recipients. With good understanding of ME API, the same information about SFC(s) as in ME doc can be retrieved within MII transaction.

Otherwise, if complex ME doc(PDF) formatting is absolutely required, only way I see is a customization or figuring out if printer itself has capability to send emails.

Regards,
Konstantin Chernega

0 Kudos

Dear Yvonne,

You can use standard activity hook points, which are triggered on printing. However, you will need to create your custom activity to be called as the activity hook and execute what you want.

There is no standard functionality to achieve the desired behaviour.

Regards,

Alex.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Alex

Sorry for the late reply, but I thank you for the answer.

KR

Yvonne