cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Export & Import UME to new Portal 7.01

richard_howard
Active Participant
0 Kudos

I need to copy all of the Users/Groups/Roles from our physical portal to our virtualized portal. I've exported three files out of the old portal for Users, Groups and Roles.

The new portal is a fresh 7.01 installation, patched to SP16.  I've setup the LDAP configuration to validate credentials against Active Directory.

Now, when I import Users, I get failures because Groups do not exist.  Or when I import Roles, I get failures that Users do not exist.  What's the catch?  Is there a sequence for doing a mass replication of the UME?

I'm exporting out of 7.01 SP12 and importing to 7.01 SP16.  I wouldn't think that would matter.

I've read the Help Files:

• Importing User Management Data
  • Import Format for UME Principals
  • User Data Format

Does anyone have a blog or best practice I could follow? 

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Steffi_Warnecke
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Richard,

did you use the export function of the user administration of the portal? Then you have three text files, correct?

If you have a look at, e.g., the one for the users, you'll see, that there isn't just a section about the users in there, but also which groups and roles they have assigned. The same with the other exported files (in the group files you'll also see, which users and roles are assigned to the groups; in the roles file you'll see, which users and groups are assigned to them).

You need to edit the files, so that the assigning lines are not in there for the first upload, which will then create the users, the groups and the roles. And then you can just re-import your original files with the assignments to update the information.

I'm a bit confused though, that you want to import users, too, when you say you have an AD as user data source. Or did I understand that wrong?

Regards,

Steffi.

richard_howard
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Thanks Steffi.  I will give that a try and post back tomorrow.

There's a handful of service accounts and admin accounts that are not handled through LDAP that I have to import, so that's why I have a users.text file.

detlev_beutner
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Just one small remark for future reference: Instead of removing the assigning lines, at least on 7.3x systems you have the (non-documented) option "Skip Missing Principals", which leads to the successful import of a principal even if principals in the assignment lines are not known.

So one can:

• Import users with "Skip Missing Principals"
  • Import groups with „Skip Missing Principals“ and "Overwrite Existing Data" twice (first import imports all groups, second import imports also group-group-relations)
  • Import portal roles - all group and user assignments are now valid.

Hope it helps

Detlev

amith808403
Participant
0 Kudos

Hello Detlev,

where we will use "Skip Missing Principals" in import text file, give some format text file.

So that i can try.

Thanks,

Amith

detlev_beutner
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Amith,

The "Skip Missing Principals" is an option in the import dialogue, where you also can toggle "Overwrite Existing Data". The latter is documented, the former is not, but I have described how it works.

I don't know when it was implemented and from which version on. At least I can see it on 7.3 SP13, and I think I have seen it in SP10, too, but not sure.

Hope it helps

Detlev

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Steffi_Warnecke
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Ah, okay. Then we're on the same page.

richard_howard
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Steffi's suggestion worked.  Marking as Answered.  Thanks.