cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is Windows 2012 SR2 supported by IDM 7.2?

Chenyang
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Gurus,

I am trying to install IDM 7.2 sp8 on a Windows 2012 SR2 server. As per IDM PAM suggested, Windows 2012 is on the supported list, but not for Windows 2012 SR2.  I am having a small problem the IDM runtime installer (have to use the compatibility mode).

I wan to confirm if Windows 2012 SR2 is officially supported? Am I going to run into some other issues if I continue?

Thanks,

Chenyang Xiong

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member2987
Active Contributor

It hasn't been tested if it's not on the PAM list. 

What issues are you seeing?  Could they be Java issues and not Windows Server? 

I've always had best results with plain old Oracle (Sun) Java 1.6.

Regards,

Matt

Chenyang
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Matt,

Thanks for the reply.

I have another problem in IDM MMC when setting up the OLE DB connection. Not sure it is the problem of OS.

Thanks,

Chenyang

Sriram2009
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Chenyang

As per the SAP PAM, its supports only Windows 2012 (Not on R2) with MS Sql, Could you refer the PAM link. try to install the SAP IDM on Windows 2012 server not on R2

https://service.sap.com/sap/support/pam?hash=s%3DSAP%2520NW%2520IDENTITY%2520MANAGEMENT%25207.2%26o%...

BR

SS

former_member2987
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Chenyang,

I don't know about you, but I can't wait for IDM 8 when MMC issues will go away

I'd look to see if there's another version of MMC you can install.  Also make sure you have all the correct drivers loaded before running the database connection wizard.  That's about all I can think of at the moment.

I'll have to see if I can download this version and try and setup a connection.

Matt

Chenyang
Contributor
0 Kudos

Thanks again, Matt,

The requirement is to migrate the IDM server so the versioning of source and destiny must be identical.

As a last method, I have requested the customer to downgrade the system to Windows 2012.

Cheers,

Chenyang Xiong

former_member2987
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Chenyang,

The downgrade might be the wisest path.  Hopefully, I will be able to test this evening.

Matt

former_member190695
Participant
0 Kudos

Chenyang,

I am on Windows 2012 R2 and MS SQL2012 and all works fine.

Are you using the 32- or 64-bit JVM?

Please ensure you are using the Microsoft OLE DB Provider for SQL Server?

I see a different provider in your print screen.

Good luck.

Regards,

Ridouan

Chenyang
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Ridouan,

I am using SAP JVM 6 and it is 64bits.

===================

java version "1.6.0_51"

Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 6.1.054)

SAP Java Server VM (build 6.1.054 23.5-b11, Jul 14 2013 00:26:11 - 61_REL - optU

- windows amd64 - 6 - bas2:200239 (mixed mode))

===================

I have tried both native MSSQL driver and the OLE DB driver. Both ended up with application crash. It is something about MXCrypto.dll error.

Thanks for the information.

Chenyang

former_member2987
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Chenyang,

I was able to get it running on Server 2012 R2 as well.

Couple of things I noticed during my install attempts:

1. Make sure that you are using the keys.ini from your other server so that you can properly decrypt the passwords for SQL Server access.

2. Make sure you're using 64 bit Java, which it looks like you're doing.  You're a IDM'er after my own heart, keeping to version 6.  My VM has patch 41.  You might want to try that. When you're setting up your connections use the OLE for SQL Server driver.

Hope this helps!

Matt

Chenyang
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Matt,

Thank you very much for your time!

Did you have any problem during IDM runtime installation? When I tried to install the runtime, it says the install.exe is incompatible with the OS and I have to use "program compatible troubleshooter" to install the runtime.

I was using the original keys.ini file, 64 bit SAP JVM, and OLE db for SQL Server connection. Since the admin has re-installed the OS, I do not have chance to try it again.

It really is a weird problem because I am able to install both design time and run time. When it comes to setup DB connections, I got this problem. Since the DB is also moved from MSSQL 2008 to MSSQL 2012, I wonder it has any connection with the problem? I have connected the original UI to the new DB and it works fine.

Thanks again for your support,

Chenyang Xiong

former_member190695
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Chenyang,

I am not using SAP JVM and my version is 1.6.0_45.

Did you tried to do this with a different user? It's possible that your NT profile is corrupted.

Regards,

Ridouan

former_member2987
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

No I had no issues at all with the installation. During configuration I made a couple of mistakes like not putting in the right user (mxmc_rt instead of mxmc_admin... It was late and I was tired ) but once that was resolved things were OK.

I agree with Ridouan, I think the issue is in your Server config.  Maybe try running as Administrator?

Regards,

Matt

Chenyang
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Mat & Ridouan,

It is not the fault of Windows 2012 SR2. I found the same problem on Windows 2012 when setting up the IC connection. I have this issue before the runtime installation, so it has nothing to do with the runtime.

I also got a error during runtime installation.

Thanks,

Chenyang Xiong

Chenyang
Contributor
0 Kudos

I retried with a basis account the problem is gone. The second problem can be avoided if I run the install in compatible mode.

Chenyang
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Ridouan,

I think you are right it is authorization problem with my account.

Cheers,

Chenyang Xiong

former_member190695
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Chenyang,

I am glad you have found the cause of the issue.

You can delete your profile in the system and try again.

KB947215

Good luck.

Regards,

Ridouan

former_member2987
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Chenyang,

By the way, thanks for raising this issue.  It gave me a chance to work with Server 2012, and it looks quite interesting.  I'm going to have to do a full scale test system now!

Best of luck with your new system!

Matt

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks for the post.  I have installed SP9_0 on Windows 2012 R2 along with NW 7.4 AS Java and have no issues connecting the MMC to the DB.  However once I click on, lets say the Job log, the mmc app crashes.

I can click on all other areas other than the system log and job log and there is no crash.  I run the app as "Run As Administrator".

Environment

VM - Guest (Windows 2012 R2)

DB - MSSQL 2012

Java - jdk6_41

JDBC - 4.0

Anyone see similar issue?

former_member2987
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Andrew,

Does it happen every time or just sometimes?

Also when closing the MMC did you save in the new version?

Also are any other users logged into this VM, if so what are the using?

Does this behavior occur with other MMC based applications?

Thanks,

Matt

former_member190695
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Andrew,

Could you please update IdM to the latest patch level and try again?

What Provider are you using for the (mxmc_admin) Connection string?

Please check the Windows Event Logs for more information about the error message.

Regards,

Ridouan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Matt,

It does it everytime.  Its odd because I can click on the root and see that its connecting successfully to the DB.  This is a brand new install so no users other than me.  When I initially closed the MMC I did save the new version.  What I may do is delete it at the root and start again.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Ridouan,

This is 7.2 SP9_0.  I always start my base installs this way, then patch up.  I'll patch further up shortly.  Looks like the error is happening as a result of the ntdll.dll file, which I am not sure is even apart of IdM.

I'll troubleshoot a little more then patch.

Andrew

Former Member
0 Kudos

Matt,

I found this MS article about the same thing (fault in ntdll.dll).  It has some solutions I'll try and report back on.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-performance/mmcexe-crashes-with-the-fault...

Andrew

rondv
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hi, I had a similar issue with W2012R2. I did a Google search on "ntdll.dll c00004009' and ran into this article http://kb.wmware.com/kb/2107656. This pointed to an effect of Microsoft update kb3000850.

From all of this I have to surmise there might be a code problem in the MMC code, which causes the stack overflow issue. The KB stops something that was permitted before, making some parts of the MMC crash. I removed the KB from the system (Control Panel, Programs and Features, click on "view installed updates" and then find the kb3000850 and uninstall it.

I restarted the system, and voila, the MMC works again on W2012R2.

What I can surmise from this is that there is a coding flaw in the MMC code that is causing the stack overflow. This probably will still happen after a while (given the notorious MMC behavior) if no code changes are made by SAP, but maybe there are also other issues that contribute, I cannot say.

So, yes, I also think the PAM says W2012R2 is not supported, or maybe that has changed recently (I did not look), but at least the MMC works again if you remove the update.

Regards, Ron

Ckumar
Contributor
0 Kudos

Thanks Ronald, it really helped to fix MMC crash issue for SAP IDM 7.2 on Windows 2012 R2.

Regards,

C Kumar