cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Adding Outlook email and/or attachments to DMS

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello DMS gurus,

I have been researching SCN for some info on my question but have not been successful.  I'm hoping someone reading this can help.

We would like to add an email from Outlook to a DMS DIR.  Also, we have a requirement to add an attachement from an Outlook email to a DMS DIR.  How can that be accomplished?

I have created a .MSG application workstation with parameter %AUTO% based on comment from a posting on SCN.  When I try to add original file to a DIR, choose application .msg and open original file, my only options are local and networked drives.  I don't see a way to select Outlook email.  What am I missing?

Best regards,

Julie Norman

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

christoph_hopf
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Dear Julie,

regarding this behavior I have to inform you that in "classic" DMS transactions it is only possible to upload files from local or network paths. So here you have to save the mail locally first and then is can be uploaded.

An alternative option would be to use EasyDMS which is a kind of Add-On to the Windows Explorer. With EasyDMS you can also manage your DMS files in the R/3 backend, but you can also add files by drag&drop them into an EasyDMS folder. So maybe this is an option for you. If you are interested please read the online documentation at SAP Easy Document Management - SAP Library.

EasyDMS can be downloaded from the SAP Service Marketplace for free.

Since the last Customer Connection program for DMS there is also the option to activate a Drag&Drop function in the backend transactions as well. If you are interested in this function please read the SAP notes:

To be honest I have to inform you that this is a very new function and maybe there might be some issues depending on your usage behavior.

Best regards,
Christoph

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Christoph,

Thanks for the reply.  I read the info in the link and the SAP Notes.  I guess before we go ahead with either of these options, I need more information.  Are these options only viable if you are using DMS with a file folder structure?  We have our DMS implemented as a database.  Please advise.  Thanks kindly.

Best regards,

Julie

christoph_hopf
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hi Julie,

if you want to use EasyDMS then a folder structure is required, because EasyDMS is designed to work like the Windows Explorer.

If you decide to actvate the Drag&Drop function in DMS by implementing all the required notes, the usage of a folder structure is not required.

However this is just the way the document info records are structured, but the files are still stored in the same way. So if you are storing your files in a content server you still store them in the same category when using EasyDMS.

Best regards,

Christoph

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi again Christoph,

So for the Drag&Drop function, what would that look like on the application side?  I understand that files would continue to be stored in the content server database.

Best regards,

Julie