cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Regarding Mass KM export

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Experts,

I am doing a migration project. Migrating the KM documents to a new tool.

I understand there are three options:

—Standard Export using Transport Packages

—You have to put together a transport package to export content from a system. The system copies all selected documents and folders to the transport package and compresses them. Once the system has created the transport package, you can download it and import it into another system.

— Transferring KM Content via WebDAV

—WebDAV (Web-based Distributed Authoring and Versioning) permits you to work directly on documents that are stored on remote servers from different geographic locations.

— Portal Drive

—Using this tool we can connect to a particular KM Folder and  Bulk upload all the documents at once from our Local Drive to that KM Folder using  windows Copy/Paste.

I do not want to re-tag the documents in the new tool. Please let me know if the export/ Webdav/ Portal drive client include the properties attached to the documents also.

Kind Regards,

Jelbin

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

WebDav and PortalDrive should be in fact same protocol? However, as far I know WebDav is not supporting KM properties, to be safe go with transport packages.

cheers

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello All,

I downloaded and unzipped the exported file. The folder structures and the documents are perfect.

But couldn't find any properties file.

How will I get the property files attached to each file.

I am doing a migration project and we need to migrate the documents along with the properties to the new tool.

Please help.

Thanks and Kind Regards,

Jelbin

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello All,

Some one please help me.

Exported using the standard export procedure.

Downloaded

But when I unzip, I am getting the below folders.

In META-INF, the below files.

and in the 0000 folder

Most of the folders contains the below two files.

Where are my documents? I am unable to find any.

Please help.

Kind Regards,

Jelbin

Former Member
0 Kudos

Jelbin, KMC is a proprietary SAP export format. There is no need to depack these files on your own, rename to *.kmc and use the standrad import procedure. All properties should be provided with the import, as far I remember these are delivered with descriptors contained in your kmc files. If you do the import in fact following happens: EP will upload and depack the archives on the fs, you can see it in appropriate folders -> be sure there is enough space on the EP disk for the import, in fact you need double space compared to the archive size. After that the import routine is importing all the stuff in the DB -> so check your table space size. This should work well in fact. Confronted on my own by doing large KM imports, I was pointed from a SAP employee on SCN there is a system setting to allow upload of big files, correct this value if necessary

cheers

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thank You very much Lawrence.

Actually I want to migrate the KM documents along with the properties to a Non - SAP tool.

So, I need all the documents and the attached properties.

Former Member
0 Kudos

You are welcome, but:

Actually I want to migrate the KM documents along with the properties to a Non - SAP tool.

So, I need all the documents and the attached properties.

this is not possible in this simple way. As I have mentioned, KM is a proprietary SAP technology and KM properties are SAP specific imho. Anyway, this will became complicated and is in fact a case for a good consulting company. You will need to write a good concept to do this. Describe your use case and migration scenario extensive and detailed.

cheers

Sigiswald
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Jelbin,

The KMC export/import is indeed SAP only. In your case, the best option is to use the SAP Portal Drive (which is a WebDAV client). That'll give you access to all files as a shared drive.

About the properties. I assume you refer to properties as displayname, contenttype, modified and/or the ACL permissions? I think it is/was possible to export those as a giant XML file. But if you refer to the classification, I don't think (90% sure) you can export/transport those.

Kind regards,

/Sigiswald

Former Member
0 Kudos

Sigiswald,

this:

In your case, the best option is to use the SAP Portal Drive (which is a WebDAV client). That'll give you access to all files as a shared drive.

would assume Jelbin's use case is plain access e.g. with a windows explorer. Since Jelbin is obviously familiar with the portal drive, we will assume he also knows he can access the metadata with right click -> properties. Due this logic, I would say its not his use case, in fact its not clear at all what is the persistence layer he would like to use for the import and how he want to use the imported data

cheers

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Lawrence and Sigiswald,

Thanks for the support.. 🙂

I configured Portal Drive and I am able to copy the documents. But still no idea on how to get the properties.

Is there an xml file associated with each document, where the properties are stored.? If so, from where I can get it.

In Webdav protocol Settings, include all Properties is already marked.

Thanks and Kind Regards,

Jelbin

Sigiswald
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Jelbin,

I'm afraid that's not possible. What I mentioned before, "I think it is/was possible to export those as a giant XML file", is wrong. I got confused with PCD content. AFAIK the only way is parse the exported kmc files as you mentioned before. But that's not exactly easy. The cont.bin files contain the binary content and the meta.txt files the properties. That is: some basic properties. Other properties are either calculated on-the-fly or stored at an entirely different place (different database tables etc.). There's no way you can just export them as xml.

BTW, what kind of properties are you interested in? In your original question you mentioned you don't want to retag them. Collaboration ratings or feedback? Or classification? I'm not that familiar with those. Perhaps you could write a small portal app to export certain content as a csv file? I remember I did that a long time ago, but I don't have a backup of that code

Kind regards,

/Sigiswald

Former Member
0 Kudos

Jelbin, you can get the properties over right click and properties menu in your windows explorer as far I remember. Im not sure you can see there all of them, but give it a try

Sigiswald Madou wrote:

BTW, what kind of properties are you interested in? In your original question you mentioned you don't want to retag them. Collaboration ratings or feedback? Or classification? I'm not that familiar with those. Perhaps you could write a small portal app to export certain content as a csv file? I remember I did that a long time ago, but I don't have a backup of that code

Kind regards,

/Sigiswald

This is easy as cake:

I have written comparable stuff also for ACL's etc, KM API is a good API

However, Jelbin as Sigiswald already wrote, we are still not clear what you exactly are trying to do. Not an offence, but its damn difficult to help somebody without knowing his goal. So again: please describe your use case/s resp migration scenarion extensive and detailed

cheers