cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

STO2 : Swap column fields shows alert in STO2...

former_member185534
Participant
0 Kudos

Dear All,

In ST02,we have alerts (Red color alerts) in swap column.

Is this alert to be analyzed & corrected or Can we ignore these alerts.?

Please suggest..!!

Regards,

JUNAID

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (5)

Answers (5)

manumohandas82
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Junaid ,

Did you check the timestamps .. Did it happen when you last restarted the system ?

If the alert keeps of occuring  now ..  then you have an isssue .

Can you analyse if there is any pattern to the timestamps . Say every day at a particular time ? or say evey week at a particular time . If yes you have an issue

Send the screenshot please

Thanks ,

Manu

manumohandas82
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Junaid ,

Your Memory snapshot does not show much issues . You May increase the program buffer to 1 GB ( May not be required in production ) . By the looks of it it doesnt seem to be a production system .

you may ignore the Red alerts . As mentioned earlier  it is marked in RED as their is swapping . You need to worry about it once you see the values changing significantly . If you want alerts for this you can configure the same in RZ20

Please don't restart your system from time to time as swapping will increase when the system is restarted .  We all require a system which is high available .

Take  some time to read the following

Monitoring the Memory Management System - SAP Memory Management (BC-CST-MM) - SAP Library

Thanks ,

Manu

former_member185534
Participant
0 Kudos

When I tried in RZ20 (CCMS Monitoring Templates) following alerts are coming:-

Program:

1 Alert ], 100 % > 98 % (15 Min.) SAP buffer:buffer storage usage exceeds threshold

4 Alerts ], 68.300000 /min > 50.000000 /min (15 Min.) SAP buffer swap exceeds threshold

10 Alerts ], 99 % > 98 % (15 Min.) SAP buffer:buffer storage usage exceeds threshold

What does it means.?

Please guide...

Regards,

JUNAID

manumohandas82
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Junaid ,

If there are swapping it will be marked in red , but  doesnt necessarly mean you have to tune your parameters .

Please post your st02 screenshot . Without seeing this it will be impossible to comment

Thanks ,

Manu

former_member185534
Participant
0 Kudos

Hello to All,

Here i am attaching screen shot of ST02. Please find the attachment.

I have a confusion : If this swap column shows red in color,this means any error/warning/alert or what..?? (Generally Red color shows error/alerts).

I am not able to know what is the meaning of this red color in respect of SAP.

What should i understand by this red color.Is this a warning/error and this is to be corrected..?

Is this recommendable to restart the server time to time if any alert comes(As per my view this is not a good practice to restart server for any alert/error...) Please suggest me...!!!

What should i understand.?

Please guide me..!!!

Regards,

JUNAID

srinivasan_vinayagam
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Junaid,

The red color indicates the no.of objects swaped out from the buffer to accomodate the new object in the buffer.

In your case the buffers needs to be increased to accomodate more objects in them, keep in mind that performance tuning needs more analysis and skill.

Changing Buffer parameters involves more calculations and might lead to poor performance if done wrongly or prevent the system to start since you have to restart the system in order to make the profile parameters related to buffers active.

Please check the below links to optimize your buffer quality and decrease the swaps....

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw04/helpdata/en/c4/3a6e98505211d189550000e829fbbd/frameset.htm

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw04/helpdata/EN/02/9625e3538111d1891b0000e8322f96/frameset.htm

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw70/helpdata/EN/bc/4a813b680c250fe10000000a114084/content.htm

I think still you did not restart the OS.

Regards,

V Srinivasan

manumohandas82
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Junaid ,

Post your st02 Screenshot

When was your last Application server restart

Thanks ,

Manu

former_member185534
Participant
0 Kudos

Is this red color means alert in swap column.

If alert then where is the log of alert message.?

Regards,

JUNAID

srinivasan_vinayagam
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Junaid,

Most of the Swap memory issue on windows, once stop sap and restart the OS, it will clear.

srinivasan_vinayagam
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Junaid,

You can increase your swap memory as per SAP recommendation.

Restart SAP system it will clear.

Swap Space Requirements - SAP Memory Management (BC-CST-MM) - SAP Library

Determining Swap Space Requirements (UNIX) - SAP Memory Management (BC-CST-MM) - SAP Library

set memory parameters as below thread.

Regards,

V Srinivasan