cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Crystal Reports 9 PDF creation in Windows 2012 R2 Server

Former Member
0 Kudos

We are using Crystal Reports 9 ( called from VC++ application) for generating reports

In windows 2012 , exporting to text or CSV works fine but PDF reports fails

Operation not yet implemented

This PDF creation works fine in Windows 2008 R2.

Is Crystal Reports 9 is supported with Windows 2012?  if yes any settings needs to be changed?

Regards

Ganesh

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member183750
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

CR 9 is not supported on WIN 2012. Remember CR 9 was released in 2002 - I suspect Bill had no idea what WIN 2012 would be able to do or if it was going to be .

Anyhow, your only option is to upgrade to CR 2013. There is a 30 day eval available from here:

SME Free Trials | SME Software | SAP

Now, that will only resolve part of your pain. You will be able to run your reports in the CR 2013 designer, but... CR 2013 does not install any SDK. The SDK for VS has to be downloaded from here:

Java SDK is here:

SAP BusinessObjects - SAP Crystal Reports, Version For Eclipse Download

If your app is using any other SDK (Print Engine APIs, RDC, VCL), that is where your real pain comes in. All of the three SDKs have been retired (Print Engine APIs in version 9 of CR, RDC in version 11.5 of CR and the VCL in versno 11.0 of CR).

E.g.; to get an app fully working and be in a supported environment, you will have to port your app to either VS, or Java. No other options...

- Ludek

Senior Support Engineer AGS Product Support, Global Support Center Canada

Follow us on Twitter

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks for the update.

Our application is developed using VC++ 6.0.  Where can we get the CR 2013 libraries & include files to replace Crystal 9 ?

Thanks

former_member183750
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

VC++ 6.0 is not the issue, the CR SDK is. In you VC++ 6.0 app, you could have been using the RDC or Print Engine SDK. Which one were yo using. Also, please re-read my origin answer re. SDKs and CR 2o13 and re. retired SDKs.

- Ludek

Former Member
0 Kudos

we are using Print Engine SDK ( from  CRPE.h comments API to the Crystal Reports  for Print Engine DLL)

what are the options in front of us?

former_member183750
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

From my original reply:

No other option.

- Ludek

Former Member
0 Kudos

We have lots of existing report created in using Crystal 9. The Datasource is ODBC (in Report Designer).

The Query for the report is dynamically changed during Run Time using Print Engine SDK.

(Dynamic SQL + filters). The code uses PESetSQL and PESetSelectionFormula functions.

Also internally we use lots Blob fields in Database which we translate it to text file

run time and use that in sub reports.

I'm trying to experiment couple of reports with CR 2013 .net api to append additional formula or modify the whole query/

Is it possible to re-use the existing RPT ( I'm able to open the RPT in Crystal 2013 Visual Studio UI)

and provide equivalent methods for PESetSQL / PESetSelectionFormula

Thanks

Ganesh

former_member183750
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

You can reuse any report - you can not modify the SQL query as you did with PESetSQL. You can modify the selection formula. For more information see SAP
Crystal Reports .NET SDK Developer Guide

and

SAP
Crystal Reports .NET API Guide

- Ludek

Former Member
0 Kudos

The PDF exporting was working when copied/replaced the Times New Roman Fonts from Windows 7 to Windows 2012.  This functionality worked with Crystal 9 as well as Crystal 10.net API.

But we use the default Times New Roman fonts provided in Windows 2012, we get the issue of operation not implemented exception.

I've tried an existing RPT file using net crystal API (CRRedist2008)  with existing Times new Roman font, i got the following exception.

{CrystalDecisions.CrystalReports.Engine.InternalException:

Error in File C:\Users\ADMINI~1\AppData\Local\Temp\2\RR1 {E63AEB29-23FC-48BE-ACB7-4B5172C387FF}.rpt:

Operation not yet implemented. ---> System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException:

Error in File C:\Users\ADMINI~1\AppData\Local\Temp\2\RR1 {E63AEB29-23FC-48BE-ACB7-4B5172C387FF}.rpt:

Operation not yet implemented.

at CrystalDecisions.ReportAppServer.Controllers.ReportSourceClass.Export(ExportOptions pExportOptions, RequestContext pRequestContext)

at CrystalDecisions.ReportSource.EromReportSourceBase.ExportToStream(ExportRequestContext reqContext)

--- End of inner exception stack trace ---

at CrystalDecisions.ReportAppServer.ConvertDotNetToErom.ThrowDotNetException(Exception e)

at CrystalDecisions.ReportSource.EromReportSourceBase.ExportToStream(ExportRequestContext reqContext)

at CrystalDecisions.CrystalReports.Engine.FormatEngine.ExportToStream(ExportRequestContext reqContext)

at CrystalDecisions.CrystalReports.Engine.FormatEngine.Export(ExportRequestContext reqContext)

at CrystalDecisions.CrystalReports.Engine.FormatEngine.Export()

at CrystalDecisions.CrystalReports.Engine.ReportDocument.Export()

at gsCrystal.CrystalReportNET.ConvertReport(String aDataSource, String aDatabase, String aUserId, String aPassword, String aReportFolder, String aReportName, String aReportValues, String aReportPath, String aExportName, String aReportType, Int32 aTimeoutPrdInMin, Boolean aIntegratedSecurity) in c:\Users\Administrator\Documents\Visual Studio 2013\Projects\gsCrystal\gsCrystal\CrystalReportNET.cs:line 119}

What is the correlation between times new roman fonts from Windows 2012  +this exception and why the PDF was generated with win 7 Times New Roman fonts (copied in windows 2012).

Thanks

Ganesh

former_member183750
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

More than likely, licensing. If the font is not licensed to be used in Adobe... typically Adobe will try to substitute another font but who knows.

What happens if you try to do the same in the CR 2013 designer?

Eval is here:

SME Free Trials | SME Software | SAP

- Ludek

Former Member
0 Kudos

In 2013 also same issue.

Then we used Crystal Report 9 and modifed the font from Times New Roman to Arial. The PDF is created.

we contacted Microsoft and Adobe about this and they are asking us to talk to the you ( Crystal Reports).

Adobe : Unable to generate Pdf report for crystal 9/10 ... | Adobe Community

What can we do now?

Thanks

former_member183750
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Well, if this does not work in the CR 2013 designer, it will for sure not work at runtime.

Are you able to duplicate the issue on other computers - not ones imaged by your IT...

E.g.; I have no issue using times new roman font and exporting to PDF or any other format when on WIN 2012 or WIN 8 OS.

- Ludek

Former Member
0 Kudos

If it may be of interest: I've run into the exact same problem as the original poster with RDC 9.0 and the associated libraries with Windows Server 2012 R2 Standard (both the en-US and the it-it version). If the original Times New Roman font family is present, the export to PDF method gives a -2147190908 error while exporting from the preview activex gives a 'failed export'  error. All other exports do work without problems. Substituting the Times NR fonts with TTFs taken from a Windows 7 installation solves the problem. To substitute the fonts one needs to login as Administrator and has to make sure that the system warns that the Times fonts are to be replaced (if it doesn't, it won't work). Upgrading the application to RDC 11.5 (the latest as far as i know) also solves the problem without changing the fonts; of course this is not always an option. It's really weird: I've also noticed that removing the Times New Roman fonts entirely renders RDC 9 completely unusable, it's like it wasn't even registered. I've experienced this only in Server 2012. All other MS OSes including W10 and the other server OSes do work without problems..

former_member183750
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Fabio

Many thanks for letting us know. I am sure your solution will be of use to many.

I do however want to reiterate for those reading this  (hopefully beating a dead horse here), that CR 9 is out of support and never was meant to be run on WIN 2012, WIN 10, etc. I summarized product versions and supported OS by each version in the following wiki:

Crystal Reports v. 9.1 to SAP Crystal Reports 2013, Runtime Distribution and Supported Operating Sys...

Have a great day

- Ludek

Former Member
0 Kudos

The horse is apparently still not dead yet! And it was brought back to life by Microsoft. Look at this:

KB3102429 Issues with Crystal Reports - Spiceworks

a recent Windows Update KB will break those same exact old CR runtimes in the exact same way described above, non only on Windows Server 2012, but on every Windows platform the update is applied to. My phone started ringing yesterday. The solution is to upgrade to 11.5 or disable te KB3102429 upgrade in control panel, if permitted.

Answers (0)