Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to model alternative bottleneck resources in SNP

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi all,

I do have a following case to model in SNP (and PPDS):

1. I have 2 resources (A & B) from which both are relevant for finite scheduling

2. There is a production step that can use either A or B or A&B resources for manufacturing

3. At the same time each resource can handle different production process (two orders) or both can handle same production process (one order); each can also run by it's own

Question: what's the best way to model it in PPM to reflect that both resources are relevant for finite scheduling? If I make it with 2 PPMs then I have no option to use both resources simultaneously. If I make it via alternative resource within PPM, then the non-primary one is not relevant for finite scheduling.

Thanks,

Marcin

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos
Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Marius,

Thank you for your hints, I'm however afraid it does not cover the requirement I outlined. The solution described in your materials refers to simple alternative between 2 resources (e.g. ALT_1, and ALT_2). So the operation is process either on ALT_1 <OR> ALT_2 while I need to reflect also a third option where the oparation is processed on both ALT_1 <AND> ALT_2, where both are checked against their finite capacity.

So that the plan can result in following:

Operation XYZ of the order ABC (assuming the order is possibly split) is processed as follows:

- on ALT_1 from 09:00 - 10:00

- on ALT_1 and ALT_2 from 10:00 - 11:00

- on ALT_2 from 11:00 - 12:00

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Marcin,

What about to create a dummy operation (ALT_1 + ALT_2) for ALT_1 and ALT_2.

So, the equation will be: ALT_1 OR ALT_1+ALT_2 OR ALT_2 !

Regards, Marius

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Marius,

I'm afraid we're not yet on the same page

I have an input material A and output material Z.

I have two resources: ALT_1 and ALT_2 (both relevant for finite scheduling)

Now I need a PPM structure (one or many PPMs) so that processing of material A into material Z can take place either on: ALT_1 or ALT_2 or (ALT_1 + ALT_2). Parallel processing (which is ALT_1 + ALT_2) takes 50% of what it takes when processing either only at ALT_1 or only at ALT_2.

Since this is an SNP PPM I cannot use multimodal structure.

Inspired by your last input I tried to model 2 operations which would have start-to-start relation - each would have assigned different resource - that would simulate parallel processing on both machines - but it doesn't seem to be feasible.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Marcin,

Maybe I wasn't very clear when I proposed a dummy operation.

This dummy operation have to involve a dummy work center that will represent ALT_1 + ALT_2. Then you create the dummy routing with dummy operation (with work center dummy). Here you have to pay attention to the rate!  

At the end you create a dummy prod.version.

So, finally you will have three prod.versions; ALT_!, ALT_2 and ALT_1 + ALT_2

The BOM will be the same for all three versions. So, the Z material can be produce in any of these three prod.versions.

Now, you can extend the logic described in the documentation to this three versions (ALT_1 OR ALT_1+ALT_2 OR ALT_2).

Another way is to use priorities or quotas. With the same priority you will have the same weight for all versions. The heuristic will choose the first WC with available capacity.  

If you have a preferred work center you can use priorities or quotas. The highest priority is priority "0". So, the heuristic will choose first the work center with the highest priority or quota and then if the capacity is not enough the others versions will be chosen based on the predefined priorities.

In the PPM the priority is available in the Product Plan Assignment, field Procurement Priority.

Hope that can help you!

Thanks.

Regards, Marius    

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Marcin,

Please take a look to this document: http://scn.sap.com/docs/DOC-5531

Hope that can help you!

Thanks.

Regards, Marius