cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Space as a 1000 separator in Number formatting

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

We are currently using  SAP BO Dashboard 4.1 SP4 (Version 14.1.4.1327). We have a requirement of representing Numerical values with space as a 1000 separator instead of ","(comma). The appearance tab for components provides only few formatting options as:

The workaround for this could be using custom format in spreadsheet itself. For positive numbers, it works fine but becomes messy for negative numbers. For example:

a custom format as ### ### ### ###.## would work for positive numbers as 213 345 423.23

but for a negative number say -25.40, it would display as   "-    25.40" instead of "-25.40", since there are 4 spaces in the custom format before decimal.

Please suggest if any workaround/custom format is possible for negative numbers.

Thanks,

Aarti Raghav

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I would suggest instead of using numeric in Scorecard use default.

In dashboard enable your custom format take absolute(positive) values to display and based on a check on original value concatenate a "-" with ur absolute values wherever applicable and display in scorecard.

basically use number as text. so you achieve spaces as well as minus sign.

I have used this technique for showing numbers and currencies together.

Thanks

Manish

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Manish. Here, we are already doing a custom format of space separated value as ### ### ### ###. Changing this to text in the next cell would mean losing this formatting. Only if the space separated formatting is retained with conversion to text, we can concatenate a "-" sign along the numbers. Hope my understanding is correct on the logic that you are explaining.

Aarti

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Aarti,

This is how i get it.

for the last value indeed there is some space as you had.

but it has a solution and here it is.

i just check that if 2nd place has a space and if yes then rearranged the tring as my requirement to ignore that space.

try if this works for you

and scorecard shows it nicely

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Manish,

Thankyou!! It works perfectly, this is of great help.

Regards,

Aarti

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Manish,

Can we also display this value in a chart?? For a scorecard, it works fine. But a chart component, since the values are converted into Text now, these values will not be displayed. Any workaround for that??

Regards,

Aarti

Former Member
0 Kudos

No i dont think so it would work for a chart. i will try this on charts and will come back to you if i have a solution

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

No charts dont work. they dont accept the text binding. hence you would have to compensate without the  thousands operator (Space) for the charts.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Yeah. Thanks for the confirmation.

Regards,

Aarti

former_member963121
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Aarti:

An easy way to accomplish this is come to “additional setting” of “formats”; change “Digital grouping symbol” from “,” to “ “;

Then restart dashboard, and use thousand separator

you will see it displays as what you want both for scorecard and charts.

thanks!

Bill

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Bill,

Thanks for the suggestion. I don't think the client would be comfortable changing their settings every time the dashboards need to be previewed.  Thanks for information anyways.

Regards,

Aarti

former_member182541
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

You cannot do anything with the custom format as you said, but you can display the positive & negative in a different color format. But check that the component you are using which displays the color. I hope spreadsheet can incorporate the excel level formatting.

Try this:

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Suman,

Thanks for the response. We have a requirement of maintaining the same colour codes, or even if different colours then the negatve sign should be displayed with negative numbers. Infact , we had also suggested the same as illustrated by you.  Any other out of box custom formatting?

Thanks,

Aarti