Career Corner Discussions
Join the conversation in the Career Corner group to ask career-related questions, find approaches to building skills, and seek career advancements.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New to start.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello all,

I am working as System Administrator (Windows) from last 7 years and would like to switch my career in SAP.

can any one suggest how to start and which one will be good for my (ABAP or Basis)

Thank you

Shripad

5 REPLIES 5

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Shripad,

Welcome to the SAP World!!.

Considering your experience I will recommend SAP Basis module for you.Abap is more of programming oriented technical module.since you might have more dealt with servers and other admin related activities Basis will be a good fit for you.

Regards,

Kannan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Shripad,

If you've not chosen yet then I would suggest to opt for Basis only as advised by Mr.Kannan as your area of work with servers and admin work will help you in Basis module rather than ABAP which has programming related.

Regards,

Ravi Soneji

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Shripad,

My suggestion would be SAP Basis since you would find it more comfortable. ABAP would involve coding, which you can take if you love coding and programming.

Regards,

Rahul

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Shripad,

SAP world is like a circle, there is no corner to it holding which you can start.

Its like "What comes first Chicken or Egg ?"

Sometime Job can be the starting point and some time qualification becomes starting point depend on opportunity you get.

Frankly speaking there is no straight answer to your question.

In fact the very same question with different different makeover are frequently asked in career center.

You are most welcome to the field of SAP but please be aware of the fact that SAP consultancy is not a Rozy road.

"THERE IS NO SHORT CUT IN LIFE"

If you are passionate about the field of ERP than and than only you can grow in this field.

If you can consider success as a bi-product in your life and keep on working for your passion, than SAP is right choice for you, but not if you are working for Success.

Further changing career path in between may prove very risky and very costly.

Please read my given below blogs thoroughly before taking any decision. And please make sure to have perseverance once you decide to go for it.

ERP Consultancy (SAP Certification) – Transformation from Introduction Phase to Mature Phase (Part –...

DOs & DON’Ts for SAP Career (Certification) on the basis of my on going journey from an Accountant t...

Regards

Chirag Shah

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Shripad,

Two key factors are important here in deciding which module you want to go for:

• Knowledge & Experience
  • Interest

Lets check both of these points to arrive at right conclusion:

• If we go by your basic knowedge & experience, then SAP Basis would be good for you as you have already been exposed to work as a system administrator, SAP security would be bonus if you wish to add more in your bucket other than sap basis.

• If we go by your interest, do you like coding. I have this question as you have mentioned ABAP.So if you wish to become SAP ABAP Consultant then coding interest is a prerequisite.

However after evaluating both option, My opinion is as follows:

Off course you will have an edge if you go by SAP Basis as your learning time will be reduced as you already have domain knowledge about that and you will  be able to co relate some stuff that you have practiced and preached in your current job.

At last nobody has the right to make a decision for others, our answers are just factors that might help you to make the right choice after thoughtful consideration.

Thank you very much, you can come back in case you still need any clarification or answers.

Thanks & Regards

Subhasish