cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Refresh entire workspace

former_member198454
Participant
0 Kudos

Hello. Is there a way to refresh the entire workspace when opening? Currently the active sheet is refreshed. To refresh the remaining sheets within the workspace you must click on them, respectively. Thanks in advance for your assistance.

Kind regards,

Lynn Peter

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

I_MCA
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos

Hi Lynn

Ironically when we first release AOLAP this is exactly what we used to do... and then we got feedback about workspaces taking a long time to load and why where we opening connections and loading data on sheets that were not even opened!

So we quickly changed the behavior to be "on-demand" so that a workspace will open quickly with the sheet which was open when it was last saved... and then the connections on other sheets are only opened when the sheets are viewed.

Are you able to describe why you want to refresh everything on initial load?

Kind Regards

former_member198454
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Ian. Thank you for the response. We are currently in the pilot phase of Analysis for OLAP implementation and pilot end users were asking if this was available. I agree I would prefer the current behavior of refreshing by sheet versus the entire workspace. I would not say this is a requirement just simply users were asking if this was feasible.

I think what drives this question is they are concerned they won't know if a data source has refreshed or not. I have assured them it will refresh once the sheet is clicked. I think with the lack of text elements (information such as last refreshed) not available in Analysis for OLAP that is part of the concern. These are primarily BEx Analyzer users whom have those primary text elements in their workbooks.

Thanks again for your timely response!

Lynn

I_MCA
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos

Thanks for the clarification Lynn.

Being an analysis tool, AOLAP *always* displays the latest data stored in the cube. When you save a workspace only the data definition is stored, not the data itself. So you can reassure your users then every time they open an AOLAP workspace, they are always seeing the latest data.

AOLAP does tell you when the data was last refreshed. After you have added a crosstab or chart to your workspace, click on the "Properties" button on the extreme left hand side. This will display the Properties for the selected crosstab or chart, but at the top it will also show the name of the query being used plus the date when the cube was last updated. You can see in the screenshot below that my demo cube has not been refreshed for some time!

Hope this helps.

Regards

0 Kudos

Some users from the business department recently asked if there is an option to switch back from "on-demand" to "all-at-once" behaviour due to a different reason in the current version of AOLAP.

Afaik there is no option. Can you confirm that?

From my point of view it would be great, if future version of AOLAP will offer some kind of switch in order to let the user decide how the refresh should be executed (all-at-once/on-demand). Is there a slight chance for such an option?

BR Christian

I_MCA
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos

Hi Christian

If you would like a property to enable "all-at-once", please submit the idea to Idea Place at SAP BusinessObjects Analysis edition for OLAP: Home. Please be very clear about the business scenario/use case of why you want to do this.

As an aside: It's worth noting that if you have charts/crosstabs on multiple sheets but which use the *same* connection, AOLAP *will* preload the data across multiple sheets by default.

If you want to stop AOLAP from doing that and make the initial load time even shorter, in 4.1 SP5 and greater a new property was added to the mdaclient.properties file. (See section 7 of the AOLAP Admin Guide for details).

You want to set "query.lazyload=true", then restart your webapp server.

Kind Regards

0 Kudos

Hi Ian,

thanks for your advice. I dropped the ideal at the Idea Place recently.

BR Christian

Answers (0)