cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Data Services Designer in XenApp environment?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi all,

I have a question. We are having huge performance problems with Designer (especially in combination with large central repositories). This is partly due to a bug in DS4.2 SP1 and partly due to the fact that our network is not very fast.

We are looking at a citrix solution in order to get designer closer to the repo database.

If i look in the PAM it says that Citrix Presentation Server 4.5 is supported. I beleive that is a very outdated/no longer supported version of Citrix (am i right?).

Has anyone tried to install Designer in a XenApp 7 environment?

Regards,
Guido

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member187605
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

There's no need anymore for Citrix, as support for Windows User Access Control was already introduced in DS 4.1. Any Windows server platform now allows for running multiple simultaneous DS Designer sessions on a single box.

Supported in PAM terminology means tested and officially certified in the SAP labs. It's obvious that due to the endless possible combinations, not every version of every software package can undergo such procedure. That doesn't mean it won't work . Unfortunately, in case of problems, SAP support will always refer to the PAM .

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Dirk,

Thank you for your comment. It is good to know that if our Citrix adventure fails, that we have an alternative.

I was just not sure if the Windows appraoch was going to work. I read some articles that stated that there were some problems when running jobs from Designer in a Windows environment.

Regards,

Guido

former_member187605
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Most of our internal Data Services clients are installed, that way. We configure a virtual machine as Windows Terminal Server with DS client tools, preferably in the same network segment as the target database. Then connect to the WTS over a Remote Desktop Connection.

It saves us the work of installing individual clients. And it's actually the only viable solution when we have to service multiple customers running on different DS versions.

Answers (0)