Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to exclude development/customizing when creating a new client

arsnlgunnr
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi all,

I have a request to create a "Test" client in the same instance that development/customizing has been done.  The new client is going to be used to test the import of development/customizing transports before sending to a customer, therefore the new client cannot contain any customizing that has been done in the instance. 

Is this at all possible?  If so, what steps need to be done when creating the new client.

Thanks in advance!

-Jayson

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

arsnlgunnr
Participant
0 Kudos

Thanks to both of you for the feedback.  The data is in fact stored in cross-client tables so testing the transport within the same instance is not going to work.

Thanks again!

srinivasan_vinayagam
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Jayson,

Could you update the transport request type?

Workbench or customizing ?

Regards,

V Srinivasan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Jayson.

As you said if the table is cross client then it will affect all clients. The best solution and the one which aligns most closely to your requirements would be to implement a seperate QA or Test system using a standard system copy.

Can I ask if you feel your query has been answered could you mark the question as answered and assign points.

If you need anything else please ask.

Thanks

Neil Ryan

SAP Active Global Support.

srinivasan_vinayagam
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Jayson,

You can start client copy.

Same system mean Local client copy or different system remote client copy or client export/import.

Regards,

V Srinivasan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Jayson.

Are you creating a pure new client or copying an existing one, in your case if there has been customizing performed which has impacted Cross Client tables you will not be able to avoid this. Client specific customizing will not impact your new client unless you are copying an existing one which has been customized.

Can you clarify what you mean by "test the import of developement/customosing transport". Are you testing them from a transport perspective or an application perspective in which can do you have applciation data to test the application logic upon as in functional unit testing.

Thanks

Neil Ryan

SAP Active Global Support

arsnlgunnr
Participant
0 Kudos

Hey Neil,

This is more for testing of the transport import to make sure there are no errors.

I know i've seen this type of setup before, but it must've been for client-specific tables. 

Basically i'm trying to replicate the movement of a transport from DEV to QA without the need of another instance.  is this possible using separate clients in the same instance?

Thanks!

-Jayson

srinivasan_vinayagam
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Jayson,

Client is just a reference number. If we once create client in SCC4, the data will not come, only we can see cross client data.

So we should copy data(Customizing or Development data) from Source Client.

Basically i'm trying to replicate the movement of a transport from DEV to QA without the need of another instance.  is this possible using separate clients in the same instance?

Yes. Its possible.

Regards,

V Srinivasan

arsnlgunnr
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Srinivasan,

So you are saying just create the new client in SCC4 and don't run a client copy? 

-Jayson

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Jason.

If this transport contains new objects then these will be imported in the ABAP DDIC no matter the client anyway. A new client with no client specific data will only contain the cross client data in it unless you copy another client or import a transport into that client. So your developement requets if they contain new objects etc will affect all clients / the system.

Again any data that is stored in cross client tables in the transport will affect all clients by their very nature and the DDIC which is also cross client by its nature will be updated at both the ABAP and database level if you transport any new ABAP objects into the system.

So yes you can do what you wish but only if that transport contains no none client specific data i.e. cross client data or objects. If you do not specify a target client for the import then it will be imported into the same client as the originating client in the source system.

Thanks

Neil Ryan

SAP Active Global Support