Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

difference between Hostagent -install and Hostagent -upgrade

christoph_ostrop
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

according to SAP-note 1031096  http://service.sap.com/sap/support/notes/1031096

i did an option -install (over an already installed Hostagent), it works and stops, install/upgrade and starts the software,

did -install and -upgrade execute the same steps ? or is there any difference?

=======================================================================

Upgrading SAP Host Agent

To upgrade the Host Agent, follow the steps 1 to 4 of the installation and use ./saphostexec -upgrade as fifth step.

Note:

An upgrade of SAP Host Agent 720_EXT to a higher patchlevel of SAP Host Agent 720 is already supported and also recommended.

1. If it does not exist on your server, create the directory /tmp/hostctrl and then copy or move the downloaded archive SAPHOSTAGENT<SP-version>.SAR and SAPCAR to the directory /tmp/hostctrl.
  2. Enter the command CALL PGM(QP2TERM) to start a PASE interactive terminal session.
  3. Make the directory that contains SAPCAR and the archive SAPHOSTAGENT<SP-version>.SAR your current directory using the following command: cd /tmp/hostctrl
  4. Decompress the archive SAPHOSTAGENT<SP-version>.SAR with the SAPCAR tool using the following command: [PATH_TO_SAPCAR]/SAPCAR -xvf SAPHOSTAGENT<SP-version>.SAR

5. To install saphostcontrol enter the following command:   ./saphostexec -install

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Sriram2009
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi christoph

1. Have you tried in which user id ? On IBM i during the upgrade you have to use the SAP Host agent ID  DAAADM (not on SAPADM ) and then follow the steps in the same SAP Note 1031096

BR

SS

christoph_ostrop
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

S Sriram wrote:

Hi christoph

1. Have you tried in which user id ? On IBM i during the upgrade you have to use the SAP Host agent ID  DAAADM (not on SAPADM ) and then follow the steps in the same SAP Note 1031096

BR

SS

i ran that with QSECOFR

(we already use the same GID for R3GROUP user in our SAP-IBM-i_landscape.)

Sriram2009
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

1. If your are going to install the newly then you can use the user id QSECOFR.

2. SAP host agent upgrade you have to use host agent user id (not a QSECOFR and SAP instance ID SAPADM)

rdiger_hckel
Participant
0 Kudos

> SAP host agent upgrade

I'm using QSECOFR ever since and it works fine.

SAP note 1031096 says:
"You must be logged on as a user profile with special authorities SECADM and *ALLOBJ, for example as user profile QSECOFR.

Upgrading SAP Host Agent

To upgrade the Host Agent, follow the steps 1 to 4 of the installation and use ./saphostexec -upgrade as fifth step."

christoph_ostrop
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

S Sriram wrote:

1. If your are going to install the newly then you can use the user id QSECOFR.

2. SAP host agent upgrade you have to use host agent user id (not a QSECOFR and SAP instance ID SAPADM)

but i ran option  -install on an already installed formerly Hostagent and it seems to work fine after all,

the option -version shows the new/updatet Version and Hostagent services are running

so does executing Option -install have the same result as executing -upgrade ?

Sriram2009
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

For Upgrading the existing SAP Hostagent pls follow the steps as mention in the SAP link

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_SCM700_ehp02_hana/helpdata/en/cf/686c5115624499a866018298ceebc1/content....

rdiger_hckel
Participant
0 Kudos

Maybe option "-upgrade" checks if there are newer versions of the files to be deployed

and "-install" is a more strict method (like upgrade in force mode).

christoph_ostrop
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

./saphostexec -upgrade -archive /tmp/hostagent/SAPHOSTAGENT201_201-20005739.SAR

Upgrade service

Extracting archive

Executing: "/usr/sap/hostctrl/exe/SAPCAR"  -xfvs "/tmp/hostagent/SAPHOSTAGENT201_201-20005739.SAR" -R "/usr/sap/hostctrl/work/archive" 

SAPCAR: processing archive /tmp/hostagent/SAPHOSTAGENT201_201-20005739.SAR (version 2.01)

SAPCAR: 40 file(s) extracted

SAPCAR: rc 0

[OK] Archive directory '/usr/sap/hostctrl/work/archive' added to delete list.

[OK] Extract SAP Host Agent SAR successful

Executing upgrade command './saphostexec -upgrade'

Upgrade Service

[Thr 01] Mon Jan 26 13:17:01 2015

[Thr 01] SAPCryptoPath /usr/sap/hostctrl/exe/libsapcrypto.o

[OK] No upgrade necessary  

saphostexec running (pid = 219) 

sapstartsrv running (pid = 221) 

13:17:02 26.01.2015    LOG: Using PerfDir (DIR_PERF) = /usr/sap/tmp

saposcol running (pid = 230) 

$

=========================================================================================

Sriram2009
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi

You can check the version after upgrade  - saphostexec -version

BR

SS