cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reading target files from powerbuilder workspace

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

I am trying to create an Utility to read and copy the PBT files from one place to another place.

For that, I would like to read the list of PBT files from Powerbuilder workspace (*.pbw)

I am using the PB version 9.0 for a Japanese customer, where the few folders are in Japanese text and hence when reading PBW files in notepad, those characters seems converted into hexadecimal. The same opens with proper folder name inside powerbuilder screen.

I am not able to extract the filepath using FileRead concepts. Can anyone help me in this???

Thanks & Regards

Ganesh

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi.

Maybe this problem is related to version of powerbuilder you are using? PB 9 isn't unicode. I wonder what would happen if you tried to use a newer version... And I guess the problem should appear only for filenames using non ansi charachers mentioned in your targets...

Andreas,

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

I am working for Customer. We have already recommended to upgrade to the higher version for so many reasons long back.

Whatever you said is right. Only the Non-Ansi text get encoded. I wonder how this logic is kept in secret. Atleast Sybase should provide some predefined functions to extract such lists.

Former Member
0 Kudos

All my workspace files are ANSI encoded. Are the PBWs in Japanese environments Unicode?

May be Powerbuilder encodes Unicode characters so you have to encode the yourself after reading?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Its not meant of completely Unicode. Only the path wherever the japanese text comes, it encodes into the Hexadecimal part. I have shared the images for your referrence.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Can you please upload the PBW?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Ahh.... It cannot be done as it is in Citrix server.

Copy Protected.

What else information may helpful to you if I can share to you.?

Former Member
0 Kudos

It looks like that you have to encode it yourself. It seems to be a backslash encoding.

Is there a way to paste the two texts from your screenshot into the thread?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Others\住所変換

Others\\\x8fZ\x8f\x8a\x95\xcf\x8a\xb7\\

Former Member
0 Kudos

Sorry, but I don't know what kind of encoding this is.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Yes.. Even I tried in different assumptions and nothing helped me.

Finally thought to put this in forums...

Problem is same PBT can be applied in different folders and hence need to avoid the duplicate when select an workspace from my utility. Otherwise, we can indirectly select the PBT files from folders.

Its ok. Thanks a lot Rene... for trying to support me..

I shall keep this thread in open.. Let us see.. whether anyone could reply...

What is your regional settings and language setup actually. Mine is all in Japnese.

Also Japnese Language pack is installed and hence it supports this feature in my local desktop also. But only thing is, I could not understand how the powerbuilder encoding as such and decoding while open in the application. !@@$#@$@!!!!

Former Member
0 Kudos

in the encoded text, first three charactesr \\\,  first two needs to be replaced with "\", rest slashes are used as the delimeter for the hexadecimal chars.

I meant each Hexadecimal character is splitted between every backslash.

Folder name in this example is displayed as "Kanji" format of japanese text.

I suspect it might be converting them into equivalent "Hiragana" or "Katakana" text format and later making them into Hexa decimal.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Yes, I also thought about hexadecimal value encoding. But what about the Z in \x8fZ?

And the unicode values are completly different for the chars.

Sorry, but I have no clue of japanese signs.